Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jun 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #121 of 213
^They might have experience with other fighters but maybe someone can take pictures of your ears to send to them for advice?  

(They do need enough room to place the drivers into the shells.)

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #122 of 213
Quote:
How "custom" is the custom fitting?  I have been doing competitive brazilian jiu jitsu for years, and have bad cauliflower on both ears, at least one ear canal is a little smaller than normal.  Anyone who go through the custom fit comment on if there is any hope for me with custom monitors like this?

Definitely, customs are based on individual ear impressions. Hence they should be able to accommodate any abnormalities the customers should have.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #123 of 213
Quote:
How "custom" is the custom fitting?  I have been doing competitive brazilian jiu jitsu for years, and have bad cauliflower on both ears, at least one ear canal is a little smaller than normal.  Anyone who go through the custom fit comment on if there is any hope for me with custom monitors like this?

Some companies require large ears for their IEMs to fit. But as long as your ears shape are not too problematic. I don't see a problem they make custom monitors for you. different sizes of ear canals are definitely not one.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #124 of 213
Quote:
Any thoughts on how the demo units at the NYC event compared to the UERM's?

I listened to both at the event. I actually listened to every model and Mike Dias spent a generous amount of time talking with me about the different models. It's been a while so I'm not going to try and drop a bunch reviewer speak, but to me the UERMs sounded neutral and detailed, as you might expect. Switching to the new custom monitors my first thought was that the music sounded ALIVE. It was really incredible. I'd say at the very least it's worth going out of your way to listen to them. I couldn't quite justify the expense of springing for them, but my UE-18s should arrive tomorrow. Show discount plus free impressions made it impossible to resist.
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #125 of 213
Does anyone know how exactly UE is achieving 'custom tuning' with their crossovers? I would imagine that they'd have to use laser-trimmed resistors and capacitors custom-trimmed into each UEPRM's crossover circuit... which is an expensive process, to say the least.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #127 of 213
would the ue person be able to tell me if my existing IERMs could be tuned with this box for a fee? i would love to buy the CIERMs, however, dont want to have $1k older models lying around gathering dust.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #129 of 213
Quote:
Does anyone know how exactly UE is achieving 'custom tuning' with their crossovers? I would imagine that they'd have to use laser-trimmed resistors and capacitors custom-trimmed into each UEPRM's crossover circuit... which is an expensive process, to say the least.

Its actually not that expensive to laser trim... Burr Brown Analog parts are made that way....

Not sure how UE is doing it but it would be easy enough to create an array of resistors and capacitors with different values and then when you get the value dial'd in that you want you just blow the links...  TI does it on several products...      doesn't cost any more to lay down 20 resistors than it would to lay down a single resistor during the build process....  its just a photo mask...

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #130 of 213
Quote:

I'd recommend you send this question directly to your preferred IEM manufacturer. They'd be more qualified to answer. Like CEE TEE said, the drivers do need to fit inside the shells (mold).

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #131 of 213
Hmm... how come no updated news regarding this CIEM?

I wish to get them similarly to current UERM setting with 5 drivers per side. 
basshead.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #132 of 213
I, too, am desperate for an in-depth review from Jude.

What gives? 
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #133 of 213
Quote:
Its actually not that expensive to laser trim... Burr Brown Analog parts are made that way....

Not sure how UE is doing it but it would be easy enough to create an array of resistors and capacitors with different values and then when you get the value dial'd in that you want you just blow the links...  TI does it on several products...      doesn't cost any more to lay down 20 resistors than it would to lay down a single resistor during the build process....  its just a photo mask...

The thing is that Burr-Brown has TI, which heads a massive semi-conductor foundry. UE has no such resources, which means they have to subcontract with another company, and will be charged a premium for trimming at low volume. The actual process isn't that expensive, but the jumped hoops needed to get there take quite a bit of effort. That will cut into UE's margins, and I was just looking at that $2000 price tag, thinking about how much goes into recouping for the R&D needed to build that DSP machine versus the price increase in terms of parts.

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #135 of 213
I hope UE can bring one of the measurement units to the Hong Kong Hifi show next month...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back