Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jun 2, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #94 of 213
Quote:
We are also looking into setting up a few dealers in other countries, but nothing firm at the moment until we have finalize the discussion and training of these dealers.

Some European and Asian locations would be nice. I travel there more often for business than to the states.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #96 of 213
Sorry, those are only available for the Personal Reference Monitors.

Hi there, I heard these today at the NYC Head-fi meet. They are very nice. I strongly encourage UE to sell these in a standard fixed tuning as well as the custom resistance set-up.

Even without the custom resistance personal tuning (set at 50 50 50 if you see what I mean) the 5-driver set up is a very nice improvement on the the IERM.

You'll get a lot of business.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #97 of 213
To echo most previous posts, very interesting (albeit expensive) product offering. However, as some have eluded to, this is not going to be the "all-pleasing, ultimate" custom IEM just because of the tuning box. Yes, you can customize the lows, mids, and highs to your liking, and that's great. But that still leaves a lot of the frequency range that's out of your control, especially without the ability to customize the range that the knobs affect. Take me for example: In my experience, one of the ranges I've found hardest for IEMs to get right (to my ears) is the upper-mids.... If the UEPRM doesn't sound right to me in that range, how are those knobs going to help?

Don't get me wrong, I'm really intrigued by this product and I do want to try it... But at $2000, I'm just a little skeptical about the value of its limited ability to be customized.

+Subscribed

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #98 of 213
Quote:
Hi there, I heard these today at the NYC Head-fi meet. They are very nice. I strongly encourage UE to sell these in a standard fixed tuning as well as the custom resistance set-up.
Even without the custom resistance personal tuning (set at 50 50 50 if you see what I mean) the 5-driver set up is a very nice improvement on the the IERM.

Care to elaborate more on this?

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #100 of 213
Quote:

Thank you Kunlun.

Yes, we have heard several times from people, some really well known studio engineer and audiophile, that the 50-50-50 setting, or the standard by-pass setting on the tuning box, is already an excellent sounding frequency curve and prefer it over the IERM. In the future, we may offer more recommendation of settings as we learn about the preferences of some music industry professionals.

Jun 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #101 of 213
What happens at 0 - 0 - 0  or 100-100-100 or any other combo where all 3 numbers are equal?  (Don't know if this is even possible, but you get what I'm trying to ask?)

I'm also interested in how UE could passively control the finalized product in "1-step" increments on 3 different passbands.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #102 of 213
Quote:
- The box is not a tone control or equalizer as some of you have guessed.  It is designed so you can make adjustment within the system's specification, in other words, one cannot design a sound that has distorted bass all the time, unless the source material has distortion :wink:

This is worth repeating.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #103 of 213
Quote:
This is worth repeating.

I'm not sure if that was meant for me?

That quote does not answer either of my questions. The final earpiece uses passive components...(UE Hasn't stated one way or another, but I'm going to ASSume)... So I'd be interested in knowing how the finished product is tweaked?

"VL" is stating that the box is not a tone control. What I get from that statement is that it isn't a device that the end user gets to keep and alter tone willingly, but technically you are altering tone when you initially use it to voice your personal monitor.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #105 of 213
Quote:
I'm not sure if that was meant for me?

That quote does not answer either of my questions. The final earpiece uses passive components...(UE Hasn't stated one way or another, but I'm going to ASSume)... So I'd be interested in knowing how the finished product is tweaked?

"VL" is stating that the box is not a tone control. What I get from that statement is that it isn't a device that the end user gets to keep and alter tone willingly, but technically you are altering tone when you initially use it to voice your personal monitor.

Wasn't meant for you, just a general note for everyone.

You set things up with a universal demo of their new 5-driver used exclusively for the personal RM using dials which change the resistance--I'd like to say it's the resistance for each set of drivers, but apparently it's a bit more complex than that. Once you set that as you like it for your ears, then that's it. A few weeks later, you get a set of 5-driver customs with your personal resistance preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back