Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Jun 1, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #61 of 213
Thank you for all the great comments and it was nice meeting Jude in our Irvine office.  Like someone already mentioned, we believe custom sound is the final element that makes a custom IEM truly custom, and our solution is the first step towards our vision. 

I like to take the opportunity to help clarify a few things:

- The control box is not easy to build as the second one need to match the first box exactly, third one needs to match the first two, so on a so forth.  There will be additional locations available in the future.

- The box is not a tone control or equalizer as some of you have guessed.  It is designed so you can make adjustment within the system's specification, in other words, one cannot design a sound that has distorted bass all the time, unless the source material has distortion :wink:

- As all other UE IEMs, the Personal Reference Monitor has been designed with the professionals in mind.  For example, a studio sound engineer requires precision in his/her mixing process, the exact location of the vocalist, the piano, the guitar, has to be aligned according to plan.  The Personal Reference Monitor has enabled certain engineers to go beyond some challenges of their own listening ability, and be confident that their work will be good on first pass.  

We will be at the NY Head-Fi show this weekend, and the UE Personal Reference Monitor system will be available there for you to experience. 

Please send me a PM if you have other questions regarding this product.

Happy listening!

Vincent

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #64 of 213
Quote:
Thank you for all the great comments and it was nice meeting Jude in our Irvine office.  Like someone already mentioned, we believe custom sound is the final element that makes a custom IEM truly custom, and our solution is the first step towards our vision. 

- The control box is not easy to build as the second one need to match the first box exactly, third one needs to match the first two, so on a so forth.  There will be additional locations available in the future.

- The box is not a tone control or equalizer as some of you have guessed.  It is designed so you can make adjustment within the system's specification, in other words, one cannot design a sound that has distorted bass all the time, unless the source material has distortion :wink:

- As all other UE IEMs, the Personal Reference Monitor has been designed with the professionals in mind.  For example, a studio sound engineer requires precision in his/her mixing process, the exact location of the vocalist, the piano, the guitar, has to be aligned according to plan.  The Personal Reference Monitor has enabled certain engineers to go beyond some challenges of their own listening ability, and be confident that their work will be good on first pass.  

We will be at the NY Head-Fi show this weekend, and the UE Personal Reference Monitor system will be available there for you to experience. 

Happy listening!

Vincent

Any chance UE is setting up a station in Vancouver? Canada?

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #65 of 213
This new IEM looks good and from all the comments so far I'm guessing there isn't any other products that have the sound tuning function? I'm currently looking for my first pair of custom iems and can afford the $2000 asking price. However, would you guys recommend I pick this up on my next trip to the U.S. or should I just get a "normal" custom like the normal in ear reference monitor. Please pm me/post any advice. Thank you!

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #66 of 213
Any way to get them separately? 

Cause normally i listen the IEMs on the move... Tuning box is not a necessary item for me at home.

It would be great if can get the UEPRM without the Tuning Box.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #67 of 213
Quote:

Cause normally i listen the IEMs on the move... Tuning box is not a necessary item for me at home.

Does it come with the box?

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #69 of 213
Quote:

The Tuning Box is not for you to carry home. They are just devices to get the sound signature sample to tune the UEPRM to your liking.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #70 of 213
Quote:

Happy listening!

Vincent

Hi, new to Head-fi and looking for a pair of custom IEMs. Would you mind clarifying if the tuning stations will be available outside the U.S. anytime soon or will I have to do the tuning during a trip to the US?

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #72 of 213
Interesting idea, but I think it is far from ideal. Tunning sound to your preferences in one-two hours, since you have to try many different songs, many differents settings, would be really difficult. Than add to that fatigue from listening, do you think after two hours of concetrated listening and tunning(and maybe tired traveling to dealers place), it is best to judge sound you will be stuck for ever with these?

I also hope UE will arrange meetings with clients with enough time between them. Just imagine you just started tunning and now another client arrived, he will be waiting there for few hours and maybe there will be preessure on you to finally end.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #73 of 213
Quote:
Interesting idea, but I think it is far from ideal. Tunning sound to your preferences in one-two hours, since you have to try many different songs, many differents settings, would be really difficult. Than add to that fatigue from listening, do you think after two hours of concetrated listening and tunning(and maybe tired traveling to dealers place), it is best to judge sound you will be stuck for ever with these?

I also hope UE will arrange meetings with clients with enough time between them. Just imagine you just started tunning and now another client arrived, he will be waiting there for few hours and maybe there will be preessure on you to finally end.

I don't think there will be lines waiting outside the UE Tuning Station though LOL. I really like the idea and I also think it's the best, at least for me. Since there is very little chance for one to audition custom IEM, this is the easiest way to achieve portability, comfortability, and ideal sound at the same time.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #74 of 213
Quote:
I don't think there will be lines waiting outside the UE Tuning Station though LOL. I really like the idea and I also think it's the best, at least for me. Since there is very little chance for one to audition custom IEM, this is the easiest way to achieve portability, comfortability, and ideal sound at the same time.

I totally agree and that's why I think this would be a good investment.  I hope they set up more tuning stations because having to fly to Nashville as its the closest one to me is not an ideal situation, it would probably be an extra $1000 or so just for the trip after airfare and everything else (unless I drove which would save me quite a lot of money) on top of the $2000 they cost.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #75 of 213
Quote:

I totally agree and that's why I think this would be a good investment.  I hope they set up more tuning stations because having to fly to Nashville as its the closest one to me is not an ideal situation, it would probably be an extra $1000 or so just for the trip after airfare and everything else (unless I drove which would save me quite a lot of money) on top of the $2000 the cost.

Yeah it's only setback is that you have to actually be there to do the tuning, which is a shame for people outside of US. Maybe I'm nuts but I'm dreaming that one day we can tune the PRM online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back