Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
May 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #46 of 213
In this scenario, one could probably bring several listening sources with them and run them each through the box individually....iPod(s), iPhones(s), etc...source hooked up to an amp and then into the box.....it looks like one could tune between multiple personal sources to find the equilibrium point....or just bring the one favorite source. 

May 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #47 of 213
Quote:
I wonder how much UE will charge for re-tunings? Seems to me like a good amount of people will second-guess their preferences once they get their customized CIEMs back and want a do-over

That is what I am thinking. Or a re do-over. You would really have to know your stuff to get it right first time out. Or visit an Audiologist to get you hearing tested to know where your deficits are to give you a starting point. Just like smell, taste, and touch, all ears are not created equal. I spoke to my Audiologist about this and genetics as well as environmental factors play a big role in someones hearing. 

May 31, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #48 of 213
It won't be many years until someone figures out how to make a piece of silicon behave as a tunable crossover, with the ability for users to interface it with PC software to repeatedly customise the sound.

May 31, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #49 of 213
For me at least I know what I'd want them to sound like but how long it would take for me to get them there is anyones guess.  I'm kinda with Jude in that the highs would have just enough sparkle, mids a bit forward but not to much and I'd want a fair amount of bass but not as much as say my MG7 more like the GR07's bass that would be perfect.  Its definitely a very cool concept.

May 31, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #54 of 213
Tuning Box + Reference Monitor with 5 amateur speakers per side!...  Oh Gods... with 2k usd...

May 31, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #55 of 213
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #56 of 213
Very cool concept, we will see how successful it is. Steve jobs quote comes to mind about customers not knowing what they want until they are shown.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #58 of 213
Personalizing the sound signature by turning three knobs (high, mid and low) on each channel sounds naive. UE should have come up a sound 'design' tool that involves 'graphic EQ' rather than three knobs with numbers that remind me of the old cassette counters (man! that's old school)
True customization should allow adjust multiple frequencies with use-definable width of up/down changes.

Having said that... I'd still be interested in trying one. :) I recently picked a pair of UE RM recently and can't get them off my ears.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #59 of 213
Seems interesting. But it must be difficult tuning the sound sig to what you want with just a pair of universal demo's. The UE11 I received as my final product sound quite different than I recall the demo pair sounding. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #60 of 213
For me at least I know what I'd want them to sound like but how long it would take for me to get them there is anyones guess.  I'm kinda with Jude in that the highs would have just enough sparkle, mids a bit forward but not to much and I'd want a fair amount of bass but not as much as say my MG7 more like the GR07's bass that would be perfect.  Its definitely a very cool concept.

Pretty sure that was how I said I would want it tuned ahah :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back