Ultimate Ears LIVE Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #106 of 156
UE Lives arrived back from its refit today.
Got it with Crabon Fibre faceplates. Running it balanced with the Furutech 4.4 Carbon Fibre plugs.

30421208937_5d2e701144_b.jpg

30421210577_5cac1a87ff_b.jpg

Size comparison with my UE7's. Both were made using the same 3D scans. Sent them an email to ask them about the difference in build.
45360978521_9acf46a3b2_b.jpg

Have a pair of UE7s, UERMs and UE18 V3's as well. But do not have it with me at the office now for pics. Ask away if you guys have any questions. Hope to be of help :)

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #110 of 156
That's a shame. That was one of the reasons I really liked UE---good cables, that were reasonably priced. I could treat them rather badly, and not feel bad about it because it was inexpensive to keep a couple in a drawer.

The new cables are from Linum Bax and contain kevlar, making them relatively unbreakable. The connector used is far superior to the MMCX and far better suited to IEM use.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #113 of 156
I've listened to demo units three times now, since High-End in Munich. Can't warm up to their tuning, so I gave up on the third try (last September) and purchased the 64audio N8 instead.
Actually I preferred the UE6 to the UE Live, especially given the price difference. The option of a Bluetooth cable together with a hybrid design (which I generally like due to its bass presentation) looked very promising, but the Live just does not fit my expectations at 2,2k€

Jan 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #114 of 156
Why everyone keep saying the live is not to their taste? Can someone more elaborate on this? I have been reading all the reviews and nothing positive about the Live except being natural sound

Jan 12, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #115 of 156
I remember it as having a bit too much midbass, with an overall rather slow bass, a bit toned down treble but a midrange that seemed natural. I also remember it as not very spacious, but rather closed in. As I said, I tried them three times, but the last occasion was in September, plus not for very Long since it just did not appeal to me, so memory is rather spotty. Often having a bit of a boring signature is something that work Wellen the long run, but it was not that kind of slightly boring / politely detailed, but more thick and obviously tuned to a different target audience that does not include me.
I would not say it's a general problem of a signature geared towards professionals, since I normally like studio or live oriented gear. I think UE works with so many artists that they know there's enough people interested in that kind of tuning that it's worth doing it...
I listened to the UE18+ as well, but, while different, it still did not strike a chord with me. As mentioned above, the UE6 overall appealed most to me, but it still was too closed in sounding.

That being said, I think it's actually a good thing to have a broader range of signature options available since there's no right and wrong in taste.

Jan 12, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #116 of 156
I personally prefer the 18+Pro, the Live is mostly for artists on stage. But like I said there always are people who will love this type of sound

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #117 of 156
I personally prefer the 18+Pro, the Live is mostly for artists on stage. But like I said there always are people who will love this type of sound

Since the 18+ got two true tone driver and no sub does this mean more treble sparkle and better highs? Does it sound similar to UE7 highs?

Its funny when they say the Live is a mix of the detail of UE7 and the bass of UE11, because i have the UE7 and the high and the stereo is like no other in my opinion. String guitar really sound like string, it doesnt roll off or change to more nylon sounds.

Is there pros to the Live? Because I’m contemplating to get it. Sorry been asking a lot because there are only a few review only one or two out there.

I try the UE6, I like the sound, fast, tight, and detailed.

Jan 14, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #118 of 156
Since the 18+ got two true tone driver and no sub does this mean more treble sparkle and better highs? Does it sound similar to UE7 highs?

Its funny when they say the Live is a mix of the detail of UE7 and the bass of UE11, because i have the UE7 and the high and the stereo is like no other in my opinion. String guitar really sound like string, it doesnt roll off or change to more nylon sounds.

Is there pros to the Live? Because I’m contemplating to get it. Sorry been asking a lot because there are only a few review only one or two out there.

I try the UE6, I like the sound, fast, tight, and detailed.

I'll be reviewing the LIVE soon, which will hopefully inform some of your concerns. My impressions toward the LIVE were initially very negative, mostly because of odd choices along the lower-mids, lower-treble and upper-treble. It seemed to zig whenever I'd expect it to zag, resulting in a signature that came across hazy, nasally, inarticulate and yet harsh.

But, upon using it for live scenarios, I was able to really appreciate what it was made for. Aside from my day job as a live-sound and studio-recording engineer, I'm also an amateur drummer. Since receiving the LIVE, I haven't used another set of in-ears behind the kit. The LIVE is exceptional at delivering the energy and punch you'd expect from hearing the drum kit live without fatigue. The main complaint I'd hear from drummers who use in-ears is that the sounds delivered to their IEMs are never as impactful as the sounds they'd hear directly from the drums. But of course, if you were to listen to the drums directly for hours on end, you'd absolutely be exposing yourself to permanent hearing damage.

In my opinion, the LIVE is the key to solving this. Kick drum grooves and open hi-hats sound as energetic as they would hearing them direct. And, they remain effortlessly un-fatiguing for hours on end. Again, they truly deliver as performing pieces, even if they aren't ideal for listening or playback in my opinion.

If you're looking for a fast, tight and detailed sound, I'd probably recommend going for the UE6. I've heard the UE18+ Gen. 3 and it sounds more like the LIVE than the UE18+ Gen. 2. So, the UE6 is probably your best option as far as UE is concerned.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #119 of 156
I've had my Lives for 8 months now. Completely love them. My history is UE18 -> UE18+ Gen2 -> UE Live. Bass hits hard, great midrange, can listen to them for 8+ hours without fatigue. The new cable system also works great, being lighter weight and more flexible + durable than the old cable.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #120 of 156
I just back from hearing the Live for the 2nd time. I think I like the sound this time compare to the first time hearing it, maybe because the burn in. I have to agree that the bass sound so original and no fatigueing whatsoever, i never like huge bass before but after hearing the live, i can welcome the bass that i never like before.
When comparing to the ue18gen3, jt has more to dry sound like Ue7, the highs and treble is similar, but doesnt have the mids of the live.
It is surprising that live have one high (TT driver) and 18s got two of the TT driver but the live also got the sparkle and quite similar highs in my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back