Ultimate Ears LIVE Impressions Thread
May 16, 2018 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 156

moedawg140

Grand Master Moe "G"….Don't crossface me, bro!
Ping Pong Champ: SF Meet (2016,2017), CanJams (London 2016, RMAF 2016, NYC 2017, SoCal 2017, RMAF 2017)
Ultimate Ears LIVE

uelive1.png

At the April 2018 Prolight + Sound show held in Frankfurt, Germany, Ultimate Ears launched the Ultimate Ears LIVE, which is their brand's pair of custom in-ear monitors for live performers and audiophiles.

You may be familiar with Ultimate Ears as creators of their Bluetooth speakers (I have a two-pack of the Wonderboom SE and use them most everyday), but they have been creating in-ear monitors for quite a while.

The entire Ultimate Ears lineup has been upgraded with their new IPX Connection System - a new cable connection system that can not only withstand complexities with regards to music touring, but minimize service and maintenance as well.

uelive5.jpg

Ultimate Ears vice president and general manager Philippe Depallens states: “Our intention when designing our new flagship model was to create not only the best sound, but also the most reliable monitor possible. With UE LIVE, you’re getting our best: pure, raw stage energy. We also needed a sweat-proof and tour-proof cable system, so we co-developed a solution from the ground up with a company that specializes in hearing aid and medical-grade cables. The UE IPX Connection System was designed to handle everything a musician deals with nightly — sweat, makeup, hairspray, humidity, set up, break down and travel.”

From the pro UE website:

HYBRID DESIGN WITH TRUE TONE PLUS
With 7 balanced armatures and a dynamic 6mm neodymium driver, the UE LIVE is the fullest, richest, and most powerful in-ear monitor we’ve ever made!

uelive2.png
8 SPEAKERS
Each speaker specifically tuned for every frequency range.

uelive3.png
PURPOSEFULLY DESIGNED
Specifically tuned drivers to minimize crossover components.

uelive4.png
4 DISTINCT CHANNELS
Precision Tooled Branched Acoustic audio path.

I am eagerly looking forward to reviewing the LIVE, and comparing it to the different versions of the UE Pro 18 and other IEMs as well.

Long live the LIVE!

Key Features:

Input sensitivity:
105 dB @ 1 kHz, 1mW
Frequency response:
5 Hz – 22 kHz
Noise Isolation:
-26 decibels of ambient stage noise.
Impedance:
10 Ohms @ 1 kHz
Internal speaker configuration:
6 balanced armatures, 1 True Tone Plus driver & 1 6mm neodymium dynamic speaker
Input connector:
1/8” headphone jack; compatible with all systems
Warranty:
1-year

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 156
Thanks for starting this thread Moe! I wish I could review these myself, but I will settle for a demo at Canjam London. Fingers crossed these will be there! Otherwise I will just pester Gisele (Aid2Hearing) again to see if she has demo units. :D

May 17, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 156
Thanks for starting this thread Moe! I wish I could review these myself, but I will settle for a demo at Canjam London. Fingers crossed these will be there! Otherwise I will just pester Gisele (Aid2Hearing) again to see if she has demo units. :D
For sure - it’s all good!

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed and praying for you that you’ll be able to demo the LIVE in London. If the UE staff aren’t able to make the trip to London and exhibit, maybe a UE distributor could represent the company at this year’s CanJam London.

May 17, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 156
For sure - it’s all good!

I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed and praying for you that you’ll be able to demo the LIVE in London. If the UE staff aren’t able to make the trip to London and exhibit, maybe a UE distributor could represent the company at this year’s CanJam London.
I hope UE can make it! Last year at the Indulgence Show UE was not there, but Gisele had arranged for me to demo the UE18+ covertly, under the table, which officially never happened, and I definitely did not absolutely love their sound. :D So because of the experience that did not happen, I am very curious to hear the new stuff and especially this hybrid!

May 17, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 156
I hope UE can make it! Last year at the Indulgence Show UE was not there, but Gisele had arranged for me to demo the UE18+ covertly, under the table, which officially never happened, and I definitely did not absolutely love their sound. :D So because of the experience that did not happen, I am very curious to hear the new stuff and especially this hybrid!
Here’s hoping you’ll get to listen to the LIVE under the table again! :smile:

May 17, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 156
I wish they'd get away from mmcx connectors

May 17, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 156
They did, the IPX connector system is new and much sturdier. It’s based on the Estron/Linum T2 connector

May 17, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 156

They did, the IPX connector system is new and much sturdier. It’s based on the Estron/Linum T2 connector

You’re right, @FrostyP - you can now choose the type of connector you’d like and for a fee you can change to another connector type if you’d prefer.

"Best sound", "fullest, richest, and most powerful" = cheesy marketing.

I think most people would be happier knowing how UE Live are tuned versus UE 18+ Pro.
Superlatives are highly subjective and pointless to choose gear.

I agree on all accounts. I’ll let you (and anyone interested) know how it sounds once I receive the LIVE.

May 17, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 156
Moe,

Does that mean they're changing the connector on the shell too, or merely giving an adaptor,

San

May 17, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 156
Moe,

Does that mean they're changing the connector on the shell too, or merely giving an adaptor,

San
Hi San,

Good question! UE will/can do both:

1. The new UE series (UE 6 Pro and LIVE) will come with the IPX connector, standard.

2. There will not be an adapter available; for a fee, UE can change the connector on the shell entirely to your preference.

May 17, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #12 of 156
Hi San,

Good question! UE will/can do both:

1. The new UE series (UE 6 Pro and LIVE) will come with the IPX connector, standard.

2. There will not be an adapter available; for a fee, UE can change the connector on the shell entirely to your preference.

That's good news indeed, as most people, myself included, are fully invested in 2 pin cables.

Hopefully they hold a tour for those of us without access to an in-store audition.

May 30, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 156
Does anyone know of a review or impression of these yet?

May 30, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #15 of 156
It has to be handled via back channels with a rep. The front-facing website does not contain all the options.

Example #1: My color was not listed. Had to have a rep. punch in a color and color code after purchasing off the website.

Example #2: Rep filled "Change to SL Sockets with SL iOS cable" under Repairs | Describe Issues when I switched to 2-pin.

You can try "Change to SL Sockets with SL iOS cable" under Order | Additional Comments but it's best to communicate with a rep before ordering off the website for a connector change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back