Ultimate Ears LIVE Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #76 of 156
I used silicone tips (specifically Final Audio’s and Spiral Dots) because they usually lead to the most custom-like sound in a universal. I’d agree that Comply’s would theoretically settle the treble peak (though it would probably boost the low-end as well), but evaluations taken from it would strictly only apply to the universal, unless the custom was actually tuned to sound that way. I’m not usually sensitive to 8kHz peaks (unless they’re huge) and my problem lies more within the contrast between 5kHz and 8kHz, so the foamies might actually help mend the universal experience at least. I’ll give it a try with MS’s demo tomorrow.

Funny you should mention balanced, Calvin just told me about a LIVE’s cable he reterminated to 4.4mm balanced according to a customer’s request. He said the change in output made a huge difference to the LIVE’s performance, so you may indeed be right. The cable has unfortunately been shipped to the customer, so it’s not there for me to try. But, never say never. :wink:
ABDCE174-074A-408F-8023-AEED58019D22.jpeg

D75D0FB2-1519-43A6-A247-F521CB253535.jpeg

These cables?

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #79 of 156

These cables?

Very likely. Calvin had them packed up by the time I got there, so I can't be sure. Echoing @soullinker20's question, I'd love to hear your impressions of the custom version. I understand you have IEMs like the Aether and the K10, so those comparisons are welcome as well.

By the way, I should mention that in a weird turn of events, I will soon be receiving a custom review unit of the LIVE for THL. I have to give it up to the guys at UE (especially Mike Dias, who organised this review) for being some of the most professional and upstanding individuals I've ever talked to in the industry. They took my brutal feedback like champs, and I have nothing but utmost respect for them. Despite my heavy qualms with it last time, I'm actually excited to try it out in other scenarios now that I know what I'm in for. They should be shipped out later today, so look out for pics and first impressions within the next few weeks. :)

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #80 of 156
nice faceplate. how's the CIEM version?

Haha, I will have to get back to you on that. I have some rough notes of some comparisons that I have done with the IEMs that I have.

Which 4.4 plug is that and how much did it cost you? I'm planning to bring my cable over to Singapore next month to have it reterminated at Music Sanctuary.
I am not even sure myself about the plugs, best that you ask Calvin about it. It wasn't too expensive.

Very likely. Calvin had them packed up by the time I got there, so I can't be sure. Echoing @soullinker20's question, I'd love to hear your impressions of the custom version. I understand you have IEMs like the Aether and the K10, so those comparisons are welcome as well.

By the way, I should mention that in a weird turn of events, I will soon be receiving a custom review unit of the LIVE for THL. I have to give it up to the guys at UE (especially Mike Dias, who organised this review) for being some of the most professional and upstanding individuals I've ever talked to in the industry. They took my brutal feedback like champs, and I have nothing but utmost respect for them. Despite my heavy qualms with it last time, I'm actually excited to try it out in other scenarios now that I know what I'm in for. They should be shipped out later today, so look out for pics and first impressions within the next few weeks. :)

I have some rough listening notes if you would like to see from my shootout of the IEMs that I own.

B5FCB708-5D55-4C0F-B253-FA4DE6027DB9.jpeg
712FF2EF-A770-4BF7-9BC2-0880612681F4.jpeg

D8498A07-6EAF-4A44-B1D0-E84221649EE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #81 of 156
Haha, I will have to get back to you on that. I have some rough notes of some comparisons that I have done with the IEMs that I have.

I am not even sure myself about the plugs, best that you ask Calvin about it. It wasn't too expensive.

I have some rough listening notes if you would like to see from my shootout of the IEMs that I own.

Awesome! Interesting to see you consider the LIVE the most transparent-sounding of the bunch. Anyways, enjoy them, man! :D

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #83 of 156
In case anyone needs a reference, raw IEC60318-4 measurements, <0.5ohm output impedance:

HGy0BDN.jpg

Standard disclaimers apply, available back in my thread. 9k-ish peak is resonance from the coupler and may or may not be at the same location as your own ears depending on anatomy.

It doesn't measure badly on FR and it's really nothing out of the ordinary. But what you can't see on the graph is how fuzzy and bloomy the Live sounds subjectively.

I guess you will need to drop by and re-measure it. We got a new demo unit.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #85 of 156
Hi! I have a question if it will be worse after replace 3.5mm to 2.5mm trrs plug.
Because I read some articles about the output impedance must be 1/8 less than earphone impedance .
My equipments as below
Cowon PLENUE 2 Mark II Output impedance was 1.3Ω Unbalance / 2.6Ω Balance
UE live Impedance: 10 Ohms @ 1 kHz

Thx

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #86 of 156
Hi! I have a question if it will be worse after replace 3.5mm to 2.5mm trrs plug.
Because I read some articles about the output impedance must be 1/8 less than earphone impedance .
My equipments as below
Cowon PLENUE 2 Mark II Output impedance was 1.3Ω Unbalance / 2.6Ω Balance
UE live Impedance: 10 Ohms @ 1 kHz

Thx

Pair up with different sources does affect the sound of UE Live, but I haven't found correlation to output impedance in these pair ups yet. For example, P2mk2 pairs up similarly to SP1000 SS while SPK has a low output impedance, lower than P2mk2. Hiby R6 has a slightly different sound with its 10 ohm OI. So far, my favorite UE Live pair up which yields the most dynamic and balanced signature is with WM1Z and DX200 w/amp8. I have Linum balanced prototype cable, the same IPX superbax wires with 2.5mm termination. For Wm1Z I use 4.4mm adapter, for my smartphone or LPG i use 3.5mm adapter. For more flexibility, 2.5mm terminated cable would be ideal, and then you can use different adapters for different sources...

Btw, should be done with UE Live review soon. Had a set back with one of my ears, couldn't use CIEMs for awhile, again...

Btw^2, you probably heard that Plenue L is just around the corner, their new flagship dap with nearly identical footprint/look and 2-knob design, only now with 4.4mm balanced output and ES9038Pro DAC. Will be interesting to see the spec and its output impedance. But then again, when you have 2.5mm termination, with an adapter you can use the cable with any dap/source.

Sep 1, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #87 of 156
Pair up with different sources does affect the sound of UE Live, but I haven't found correlation to output impedance in these pair ups yet. For example, P2mk2 pairs up similarly to SP1000 SS while SPK has a low output impedance, lower than P2mk2. Hiby R6 has a slightly different sound with its 10 ohm OI. So far, my favorite UE Live pair up which yields the most dynamic and balanced signature is with WM1Z and DX200 w/amp8. I have Linum balanced prototype cable, the same IPX superbax wires with 2.5mm termination. For Wm1Z I use 4.4mm adapter, for my smartphone or LPG i use 3.5mm adapter. For more flexibility, 2.5mm terminated cable would be ideal, and then you can use different adapters for different sources...

Btw, should be done with UE Live review soon. Had a set back with one of my ears, couldn't use CIEMs for awhile, again...

Btw^2, you probably heard that Plenue L is just around the corner, their new flagship dap with nearly identical footprint/look and 2-knob design, only now with 4.4mm balanced output and ES9038Pro DAC. Will be interesting to see the spec and its output impedance. But then again, when you have 2.5mm termination, with an adapter you can use the cable with any dap/source.
Good suggestion , thx!
Looking forward to your UE Live review !

Sep 7, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #88 of 156
Just finished and posted my review of UE Live, here. Enjoy the read! Will mirror it on HF soon as well.

ue_live-18.jpg

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #89 of 156
Just finished and posted my review of UE Live, here. Enjoy the read! Will mirror it on HF soon as well.

Interesting writeup, we have pretty much the same impressions but your perception of the Live's traits are more positive whilst mine strays squarely into the negative. I don't think the Live even belongs in the same league as the Legend X or N8.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #90 of 156
Interesting writeup, we have pretty much the same impressions but your perception of the Live's traits are more positive whilst mine strays squarely into the negative. I don't think the Live even belongs in the same league as the Legend X or N8.

Well, I usually try to stay more neutral in my reviews, focusing more on sound description and comparison while letting readers draw their own conclusion :wink: I was a little more critical at first, Mike got earful of my first impression comments. When I posted a teaser shot of Live on FB, I got a number of messages from musicians who tried it and absolutely love it, even preferring it over other iems mentioned in my comparison. You and I look at it from audiophile perspective, others look at it from stage performance musician perspective. I had someone arguing with me that UERR is still the flagship, from his music production perspective, and so on.

So, I just took a step back, and wrote this review from a more neutral perspective. And trust me, many musicians I talked to (coincidentally from west coast here in US) looking at Live, N8, and LX as their choices. Some also asked me why not ES80 but W80 instead (in comparison), ES is not CIEM version of W, ES is more neutrally tuned without the same bass impact. So, pretty much this was my rational behind the review and comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back