Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Sep 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #227 of 733
If the P-51 is the "Mustang", I thought it had a touch of bass bloat and a recession in the mids with a bump in the upper mids (when I compared it to a few other amps during a mini-meet).  I think the UE RM do really well with linear & maybe an extra <spot> of bass- such as Mkubota1's iQube V2 which was just about the best pairing I have heard but a large device...

The TTVJ Slim I only had for a very short time with PK1 as my first real attempt at an amp.  So I am not sure, but reports are that it is "warm" and the RM need the top end.  My RM sound BAD out of the TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid (which I still own). 

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #228 of 733
Hi I keep asking questions. But could any of you please help me? If I test my seal with the sensapohinic test track 50 and 500 Hz tones. I can never get the 50 Hz tone to sound as loud as the 500 one. This would indicate a poor fit but in my opinion I actually have a very tight fit. I get some sort of suction feeling when wearing them and when I try to get them out it plops. Has any of you used this test track and what did you find?

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #229 of 733
Suction feeling is normal and is a sign of complete seal. The fact that the tones are not the same volume could be either the headphones not being flat (they aren't), or your ears (which also aren't), or a combination of the two together. Everyone hears differently.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #230 of 733
Quote:
If the P-51 is the "Mustang", I thought it had a touch of bass bloat and a recession in the mids with a bump in the upper mids (when I compared it to a few other amps during a mini-meet).  I think the UE RM do really well with linear & maybe an extra <spot> of bass- such as Mkubota1's iQube V2 which was just about the best pairing I have heard but a large device...

The TTVJ Slim I only had for a very short time with PK1 as my first real attempt at an amp.  So I am not sure, but reports are that it is "warm" and the RM need the top end.  My RM sound BAD out of the TTVJ Portable Millet Hybrid (which I still own). 

Amp/source synergy plays a roll in the sound, allowing some shaping and one reason for varying listening results.

Quote:
Hi I keep asking questions. But could any of you please help me? If I test my seal with the sensapohinic test track 50 and 500 Hz tones. I can never get the 50 Hz tone to sound as loud as the 500 one. This would indicate a poor fit but in my opinion I actually have a very tight fit. I get some sort of suction feeling when wearing them and when I try to get them out it plops. Has any of you used this test track and what did you find?

Here are the factors that could be leading to what you are hearing:
- Volume level, as there are loudness curves, and at lower volumes the ear perceives less bass
- Source matching, as higher impedance sources generally will have some bass roll-off
- The UE IERM is a bit on the warm side to me, which means there is a bit of a boost in the mid-bass

If you feel suction, push the CIEM shell to the side a bit, but don't pull it out.  All you need is a tiny break in the seal and this should relieve the suction and lead to better sound.  

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #231 of 733
Ah thx a lot. I think I got it right this time. Find the insert position that creates maximum suction, hence best seal. Remove pressure and enjoy music. I guess learing is a slow process :)

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #232 of 733
Saw some owners there. So here is my introduction as well :wink:
Own UERMs for over 9 months now. Just ordered smaller transport custom box, as I found the big one not comfortable for traveling :wink: Using them mostly for producing EDM and love their flat response. I have my studio speakers - Even Opals (said to be 'most accurate studio monitor ever') and UERMs are sounding like "portable Opals"! It is really crazy. These customs have same flat response as those studio monitors.
Just don't want to use UERMs all the time. Looking for some customs for a free time, to the gym and just for listening - guess the best option will be Heir Audio 8.A? These should be more warm and more fun...

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #233 of 733
Hi John, thanks for sharing and great to hear they match the Opals!  You can check my multi-review thread for info on many different CIEMs.  The 8.A is a nice, warm CIEM and would be a good compliment.  UE now makes the PRM, which might be a great fit as you can tune the sound to your liking.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #234 of 733
Listening Matchbox Twenty via UERM... Recording is so well... very sweet sound. 

bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #236 of 733
Just tried the impedance adapter(?) that came with this. It just boosted the highs and mids and they're now much clearer and more detailed. There is better instrument separation, but the sound stage seems a bit compressed. Though doing so reduces the bass. The adapter seems to sound better on an amp. Anyone tried it?

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #237 of 733
Quote:
Just tried the impedance adapter(?) that came with this. It just boosted the highs and mids and they're now much clearer and more detailed. There is better instrument separation, but the sound stage seems a bit compressed. Though doing so reduces the bass. The adapter seems to sound better on an amp. Anyone tried it?

Impedance adapter?  Do you have a picture?

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #238 of 733
This thing: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultimateears/In-Ear_Reference_Monitors/images/bundle.jpg

I'm not sure what it was, but it changed the sound significantly. Less bass, better surrounding of music, and better imaging. The highs and mids were more detailed as well.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #239 of 733
Quote:
This thing: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultimateears/In-Ear_Reference_Monitors/images/bundle.jpg

I'm not sure what it was, but it changed the sound significantly. Less bass, better surrounding of music, and better imaging. The highs and mids were more detailed as well.

I'm not sure less bass is to my liking.  My UERM's are pretty flat in the bass department to begin with. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #240 of 733
Is it only me, or reality ? - After using my UERM for over a year now, I just can't use any other cheaper headphones - even I want to. For my DJ purposes I bought (and sold) almost all available over-ear headphones in price range 200-300 EUR (Vmoda, Senn HD25's., Beats Mixr etc). All of them are well made and perfectly built (Beats Mixr - best constructed over ears ever), even their sound is somehow on some frequencies coloured, it is not any issue, I can live with it. BUT all of them are just completely missing top end of the frequency range. Is it just mine ears hearing that? Generally it is SO BIG difference, that it's unbelievable for me. I can't use them for any real work. I mean, it's not any 1% difference I'm speaking about - UERM's just plays the sound elements, which are completely missing on mentioned headphones. In comparison, they all sounds like with some hi-pass filter :D no joking. What? .. Anyone with similar experience? Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back