Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors Review
Feb 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #242 of 733
Quote:
Is it only me, or reality ? - After using my UERM for over a year now, I just can't use any other cheaper headphones - even I want to. For my DJ purposes I bought (and sold) almost all available over-ear headphones in price range 200-300 EUR (Vmoda, Senn HD25's., Beats Mixr etc). All of them are well made and perfectly built (Beats Mixr - best constructed over ears ever), even their sound is somehow on some frequencies coloured, it is not any issue, I can live with it. BUT all of them are just completely missing top end of the frequency range. Is it just mine ears hearing that? Generally it is SO BIG difference, that it's unbelievable for me. I can't use them for any real work. I mean, it's not any 1% difference I'm speaking about - UERM's just plays the sound elements, which are completely missing on mentioned headphones. In comparison, they all sounds like with some hi-pass filter :D no joking. What? .. Anyone with similar experience? Thx.

I have trouble listening to lower end IEMs these days, but that is because my ears hear all the issues and I know what is missing comparatively.  Plus, dynamic drivers generally present sound in a different way.  

Quote:

The Etymotic ER4 should be a fine option.

That may work, or the UE900.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #243 of 733
My UERMs are definitely my most used headphones.  I routinely pair them with a FIIO E17.  This is a matter of practicality for me.  I have a really noisy working environment and I screen a lot of video footage for a living.  The UERMs I can wear on and off all day long and they block noise.  When I'm on the road and want a little fidelity, I pair them with a Pico Slim amp, which is a fantastic match up, the Pico is warm and gives the UERMs an inviting character for playback on an iDevice.  I occasionally switch up at work with ATH-M50s which are nowhere near the UERMs in terms of sound- but to my ear they're the best headphone around the $100-$200 price point.  I also keep Grado 225s and Sennheiser 450 active noise cancellation phones at work.  Co-workers think I'm nuts.

As far as other in-ears-- I have a pair of RE-0s from HifiMan which are quite nice, but not as comfortable and you have to seat them deep to image.  I own a pair of Beats Tour.  The highs aren't terribly bright-- but they have fantastic overdriven bass.  For watching a movie-- they're probably the best headphones I've found-- the bass makes watching an action film quite enjoyable.  The Tours are EXTREMELY comfortable, especially for an in-ear.  You don't need to seat them deep at all.  Finding a 'genuine' pair of tours is a challenge.  Anything you buy online you have to assume is fake.  Buy them in person at Best Buy only. 

My 'listening' rig at home is the HD800.  They take the UERMs in every category, but they're matched with a WA5LE with pricey tubes.  There's always better out there!  Of course the HD800s are open headphones, you can't travel with them, and they cost $1400.  There are very few portable amps that pair well with the HD800.

There are a few customs that I've read are better than the UERMs-- but you have to jump to the $1500 dollar level.

There are only a small group of headphones that will do better than the UERMs, IMO.  I rely on the UERMs heavily when editing on the road, and they go with me everywhere in a small Pelican case.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #244 of 733
Quote:
My UERMs are definitely my most used headphones.  I routinely pair them with a FIIO E17.  This is a matter of practicality for me.  I have a really noisy working environment and I screen a lot of video footage for a living.  The UERMs I can wear on and off all day long and they block noise.  When I'm on the road and want a little fidelity, I pair them with a Pico Slim amp, which is a fantastic match up, the Pico is warm and gives the UERMs an inviting character for playback on an iDevice.  I occasionally switch up at work with ATH-M50s which are nowhere near the UERMs in terms of sound- but to my ear they're the best headphone around the $100-$200 price point.  I also keep Grado 225s and Sennheiser 450 active noise cancellation phones at work.  Co-workers think I'm nuts.

As far as other in-ears-- I have a pair of RE-0s from HifiMan which are quite nice, but not as comfortable and you have to seat them deep to image.  I own a pair of Beats Tour.  The highs aren't terribly bright-- but they have fantastic overdriven bass.  For watching a movie-- they're probably the best headphones I've found-- the bass makes watching an action film quite enjoyable.  The Tours are EXTREMELY comfortable, especially for an in-ear.  You don't need to seat them deep at all.  Finding a 'genuine' pair of tours is a challenge.  Anything you buy online you have to assume is fake.  Buy them in person at Best Buy only. 

My 'listening' rig at home is the HD800.  They take the UERMs in every category, but they're matched with a WA5LE with pricey tubes.  There's always better out there!  Of course the HD800s are open headphones, you can't travel with them, and they cost $1400.  There are very few portable amps that pair well with the HD800.

There are a few customs that I've read are better than the UERMs-- but you have to jump to the $1500 dollar level.

There are only a small group of headphones that will do better than the UERMs, IMO.  I rely on the UERMs heavily when editing on the road, and they go with me everywhere in a small Pelican case.

Thanks for sharing.  It seems like the IERM is a good fit for your use, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #245 of 733
I really die hard for it....

very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #246 of 733
Has anyone used the UERM with an impedance adapter and a tube amp? I've read that using an impedance adapter would significantly change the UERM's sound signature from this blog. I am im the process of getting my uerm (getting my impressions done next week!) and would like to try using them with my Little Dot MK IV SE.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #247 of 733
Quote:
Has anyone used the UERM with an impedance adapter and a tube amp? I've read that using an impedance adapter would significantly change the UERM's sound signature from this blog. I am im the process of getting my uerm (getting my impressions done next week!) and would like to try using them with my Little Dot MK IV SE.  

I have a impedance adapter and a solid state amp. Although it would be bit different, I'll tell you how it sounds once I get my UERM tomorrow.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #248 of 733
Quote:
I have a impedance adapter and a solid state amp. Although it would be bit different, I'll tell you how it sounds once I get my UERM tomorrow.

I think it would work too, to see if the impedance adapter changes anything other than volume and floor noise. What amp are you using, and what is the impedance on the adapter? Grats on the UERM, it'll be about a month before I actually receive mine.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #249 of 733
Quote:
I think it would work too, to see if the impedance adapter changes anything other than volume and floor noise. What amp are you using, and what is the impedance on the adapter? Grats on the UERM, it'll be about a month before I actually receive mine.

50 ohm adapter and Schiit Modi and Magni.

UE is actually rather quick about making customs. Once they got my impression, they sent me the completion date(about 2wks), and it shipped exactly on the day they promised. I'm satisfied with their service so far.

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #250 of 733
Quote:

Yes, the IERM is quite sensitive to output impedance.  For example, the 801 makes the IERM sound dark, and more so than any other CIEM I have.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #251 of 733
^Thanks for reminding me...I actually tested UERM on the BA earlier tonight and there is a bit of noise that can be heard inbetween tracks.

I found the UERM adapter to make a "pretty slight" difference in the past- was not enough to cut the noise with my Super 7.

The TF10 airplane adapter definitely cut the Super 7 noise out, but also some high frequencies.  

Gotta pull out the UERM adapter for the BA.  Will report back.

However, once the music was going- it was good:

Apr 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #253 of 733
Got my UERM today. Impressions against SE535 and SRH940.
To begin, it came with a really good box and a very practical case. Sadly, right side would seal fine, but it cause pain. I just sent off my UERM after spending few painful hours with it.
So here is the comparison:

Sound Stage: Against SE535, it is slightly more wide and significantly taller. Up and down is distinguished in UERM. However, it doesn't beat the SRH940. I'll call it iem version of SRH940, sound stage wise. I feel confident to say that UERM has realistic and very wide sound stage for a IEM.

Detail: Beats the SE535 by quiet a bit. Slightly better than SRH940.

Layering: UERM beats both SE535 and SRH940 on layering. Very well layered.

Sub-bass: Does not roll off like SE535 and well extended like SRH940. I was worried when people told me it didn't have enough bass, but the bass was similar to what I was used to from SRH940.
Mid-bass: Although not as round as SE535, more detailed and quick. It decays very well, leaving sense of space and speed at the same time. Perfect amount of bass for me.
Lower-mids: It dethrones SE535 from my #1 list. Although not as thick, there is smoothness, detail, and superb clarity. It has slightly more lower mids than SRH940.
Upper-mids: SE535 wasn't the absolute best at this. UERM is fluid and smooth. Amount of upper mid is on par with SRH940, but UERM has smoother upper mids.
Sibilance: Sibilance is something I was worried about. It actually has less sibilance than both the shures, and that is pretty good.
Lower treble: Fluid, more forward compared to SE535. Great detail and airyness. Reminds me of SRH940.
Upper treble: Very well extended and extends farther than SE535, and it extends to limits of my hearing. Not rolled off, and has good detail and air.

I was worried about people telling me about harsh treble and not enough bass. When I first heard the UERM, the sound didn't feel new. It shares lots of similarities with SRH940, but only better!(besides the sound stage) I think it has adequate bass and well extended high.

Naturalness: I almost forgot to mention this. UERM is the most natural iem I've heard. The mids of UERM made mids of SE535 sound unreal and fake. 

Although I said UERM is better than SE535, I still like my SE535 a lot. Here is why:
SE535 has isolation that is better or on par with UERM.
SE535 is easier to put in and out of my ear.
SE535 has better filter and is easier to clean(besides the cable connector)
SE535 is more comfortable(that may be because I'm not used to customs)
SE535 has rounder mid bass that I think is one of the best in iems.

I also like SRH940 because:
SRH940 is a full sized headphone, not a iem.
SRH940 has bigger sound stage.
SRH940 is more comfortable.
SRH940 is what made me buy the UERM.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #254 of 733
What tips are you using with the SE535?  I will be interested to see if your opinion on any of this changes over the next 2-3 months.  CIEMs are so much easier for me to put in and take out, and these days silicone tips irritate my ears!

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #255 of 733
Quote:
What tips are you using with the SE535?  I will be interested to see if your opinion on any of this changes over the next 2-3 months.  CIEMs are so much easier for me to put in and take out, and these days silicone tips irritate my ears!

I used the medium olives. It could be that I'm just used to putting in universals. Customs are kinds of hard to put in. But once it's in, it's rather comfortable, and it stays in my ears much better than SE535.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back