Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Monitors (Capitol Studios Collaboration): Announcement and First Impressions
Jun 11, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #241 of 257

Quote:
Is there any audio engineer here that uses the UE RM for mixing?
If there is how well are these IEM compared to real high end monitor speakers like ATC?
How does it compare to high end headphones like Sennheiser HD 650 or close can denon AH D7000?

When I do mixing on different platform 1 problem I face is soundstage. If a platform with narrow soundstage and I bring it to a platform with big soundstage my rhythm guitars which I usually pan left and right to the extreme usually kind of disappears. So far I've not heard an IEM with soundstage as wide as high end monitor speakers or high end headphones. I've tried JH 10X3, JH 11, JH 13, JH 16 and none of them could give me a soundstage I want.

I would love to get the UE RM for a monitor however I'm quite unsure if I should do it. Because if I can I really save a lot of money, because if I use headphones I need an amp also which cost a lot and they are much more bulky.

Thanks
Matthew

Matthew, I've heard the ATC 150 and own the JH13s and the new JH3a and have demoed the UERM. The UERM are fantastic and may be better suited to mixing from a recording details perspective. The headstage is not any larger wider than the JH13s. 
So if you are looking to locate instruments in the mix IEMs may not be a good tool. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #242 of 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to reserve further comment on the Reference Monitors' sonic properties until after I hear the full production sample (as I understand that some minor refinements may have been made since the manufacture of my early beta unit).

Jude, do you have any more thoughts on the UERM now that you've had the production version for a while?  I noticed that you brought your ES5 to the "Explorations in Time and Space" recording session, was there a particular reason you brought them and not your UERM (like some of the others at the session)?

Quote:
Matthew, I've heard the ATC 150 and own the JH13s and the new JH3a and have demoed the UERM. The UERM are fantastic and may be better suited to mixing from a recording details perspective. The headstage is not any larger wider than the JH13s.  So if you are looking to locate instruments in the mix IEMs may not be a good tool. 

jp, how do you think the JH3A compares to the UERM?  I realize you only heard the demo and it's been a while, but any thoughts you may have would be appreciated.

I think that while the JH16 may have a slight edge in terms of soundstage over the UERM, the UERM still has excellent imaging and places sounds in a very easily discernible and accurate way.  The soundstage doesn't feel cluttered or claustrophobic at all.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that the UERM hasn't seemed to have had a bigger impact in the Head-fi community.  I think there may be an assumption that because it only uses 3 drivers, it is inherently limited and must sound worse than customs with more drivers.  Or maybe UE's marketing emphasis on "neutral tuning" and engineering use is leading people to believe that it must sound overly boring and rolled-off.

Having owned the JH16 for almost a year before buying the UERM, I can say confidently that the UERM isn't anything like taking a JH16 and tuning the bass down.  IMO, it is a total and significant step up in transparency and detail.  While the UERM may lack the low bass rumble and impact of my other customs, this is easy to accept when the resolution feels so sharply defined and the presentation feels significantly less veiled.

In addition, the shielded outlets for the cable prongs and the overmolded, angled cable connector is a clever design that keeps the prongs from being bent.  Any other custom IEM cable will work with the UERM, just in case anyone is wondering--I didn't bother to try until today.  My Solo/Pico Slim/TWagged UERM combo is sounding sick.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #243 of 257
To me the 3a is in a different class altogether but I'd say the same for the JH13 that I own as well. The UERM and JH13s are excelent and top in class for IEMs but an active DSP driven crossover with independent amps for each driver is going to win the day.

If I wanted the fex to go iphone on the go, Ipad in a plane or amp at home or transportable and detail and seperation were my goal than the UERM would be a solid choice. THe 13 is accurate for the most part but has that fun bass hump that really gets my foot tapping.

I'd like to own them all if I could

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #244 of 257
so, DJ Nellie - did you try other cables? I bought a twag for my 11pros - that cable had turned green and the silver brightens the very strong emphasis on bass - and my UERM has a black cable and such clean sound that I hesitate to mess much with it...

Quote:
Any other custom IEM cable will work with the UERM, just in case anyone is wondering--I didn't bother to try until today.  My Solo/Pico Slim/TWagged UERM combo is sounding sick.

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #245 of 257
Yeah, I'm currently using a TWag v1 with my UERM. I've had it and other TWags for over a year and none have turned green (photos in my profile).

If you still have the TWag, why not try it with your UERM? So far, I'm not noticing any undesirable effects on the bass--if anything, the cable has added a subtle weight to the bass that still feels very balanced and natural. The new UE stock cable is brilliantly designed; its lack of microphonics and overmolded prongs are unique among any IEM cable I've tried. And while it sounded fine enough, the TWag seems to have added an additional level of musicality and clarity. But I'm curious to hear your thoughts if you have the cable (or any other aftermarkets).

Also, how do you think the ue11 and UERM compare?

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #246 of 257
Quote:
If you still have the TWag, why not try it with your UERM? 
But I'm curious to hear your thoughts if you have the cable (or any other aftermarkets).

dj nellie, I decided to use my twag on the 11pro in the expectation that it would brighten what is a very resolving yet bass-heavy IEM.

the main reason I bought that twag wasn't, however, for silver or any other property but to hear for myself if aftermarket cables make for a different sound, and I confess my hearing may not be so discerning that I would jump into the fray with a public pronouncement on that divisive question (or maybe my hearing is just fine, and my avoidance of flame wars is doing the discerning).

I don't think I'm going to swap cables much, I like to have the choice between two IEMs (it's why I also have two DT880s, one of which is recabled... and two tube amps for them... and a Hifiman as well as an iMod... and two speaker set-ups in the house... in short, I don't watch The Highlander much...)

at any rate, I like both the UE 11pro and the UE IERM a whole lot. matched with the right source material, they are both indispensable to my gadgeteering life now. the 11pro is for fun, bass-heavy, danceable tunes, while I grab the other for classical music and avantgarde, for vocals, chamber music, etc.

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #247 of 257
Quote:
Yeah, I'm currently using a TWag v1 with my UERM. I've had it and other TWags for over a year and none have turned green (photos in my profile).
If you still have the TWag, why not try it with your UERM? So far, I'm not noticing any undesirable effects on the bass--if anything, the cable has added a subtle weight to the bass that still feels very balanced and natural. The new UE stock cable is brilliantly designed; its lack of microphonics and overmolded prongs are unique among any IEM cable I've tried. And while it sounded fine enough, the TWag seems to have added an additional level of musicality and clarity. But I'm curious to hear your thoughts if you have the cable (or any other aftermarkets).

ps - I'm currently using the twag on the UERM, and it may indeed add a bit of weight, but I couldn't testify to clarity (yet), have to spend more time - I guess this way the difference between the 11 and the RM is slightly narrower

May 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #248 of 257
Just found that here is another discussion about UERM.

Guys, i would like to know which is better choice. -26db vs -32db which is Acrylic vs Soft Silicon materials.

I emailed them and asked for this option and they are going to provide one of them to my option.

May 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #249 of 257
Quote:

Guys, i would like to know which is better choice. -26db vs -32db which is Acrylic vs Soft Silicon materials.

I emailed them and asked for this option and they are going to provide one of them to my option.

I think they will provide the one that exists, not the one that doesn't exist. 

May 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #250 of 257
Quote:

as I posted in the other thread, I had the softer case because I thought it would be more insulating and comfortable. however, I have since had my customs recased in the hard materials, and I can say that UE did a great job, fast and exact, and just as comfortable; the loss in insulation matters little because for really noisy situations (plane, subway or the like) I prefer to use lesser IEMs - like my ACS-tipped ER4P, which is good and seals well. I think the UE hard case will also last longer.

May 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #251 of 257
my wallet is going to hate me for this...

Hmm... Not sure If there are cheaper options though. Does anyone know if ultimate ears will be doing a refresh of their entire headphone lineup? I wonder if they'll do anything with the triple fi 10

May 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #252 of 257
Quote:
I wonder if they'll do anything with the triple fi 10

The only data I have on this is that the TF10 were out of stock for a very long time, and that's when people were speculating there'd be a successor UE triple-BA.  Yesterday and today the UE website shows that this model is once again in stock.  So if this information is any indication, everybody can breathe out.  The TF10 is still the triple-BA offered by Ultimate Ears and unless someone has heard differently, they're what you're going to get... just hopefully not at $400, not ever.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #253 of 257
I know this is really hard to answer, and it's really up to the person, but what is the general consensus on reshelling the UERMs via a company like UM? Do you guys think it won't be as "accurate" as getting them from UE new?

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #254 of 257
Quote:
I know this is really hard to answer, and it's really up to the person, but what is the general consensus on reshelling the UERMs via a company like UM? Do you guys think it won't be as "accurate" as getting them from UE new?

I don't really see why they would sound any different as long as the place reshelling them uses the same length/diameter tubes, and makes the bores on the shell the same size. I would imagine the issue with reshelling universals come from having different length and diameter tubes and different diameter bores on the housing than the universals have. As long as all of the components are the same, then I would imagine they sound the same. Changing length/diameter would affect the sound of the customs just like changing tips on universals can change the sound of them. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #255 of 257
UERM analysis.

Interesting things to note

It shares resemblance to the TF10, they likely even share the same drivers. 
Demands low OI sources like a TF10
While not in the ITUs standard for a studio monitor, this studio monitor resembles studio monitors GR07 and MDR7550 in frequency response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back