Ulitmate Ears and JH Audio $1,300 scam?
Jun 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wifebeater

New Head-Fier
Hello, I want to spend more than $1,000 on an item I can't return and have never tested before. Before I do I'd like to know if what JHaudio and Ultimate Ears claim is true? Do they really produce the best sound quality IEMs in the world. Their marketing is great "more is better" and the "famous people" testimonials.

How significant is the audio quality change from a $200 etymotic or $400 custom UE IEMs to a $1,300 JH/UE IEMs? If you don't have this specific build please don't respond with more marketing data. I want realistic results, the ears dont lie.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
I want realistic results, the ears dont lie.

1) lol @ sensationalist title + awesome username
2) ears may not lie, but people do

... fallacious imo
ph34r.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 27
Awesome first post! Great user name! Classy start. Customs are much better in every way in my view, but music4321 will tell you they are not better, which is his view. Search, read, search, read, decide.

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:
Awesome first post! Great user name! Classy start. Customs are much better in every way in my view, but music4321 will tell you they are not better, which is his view. Search, read, search, read, decide.

Add me to the list too. I say the same thing. lol Customs are overrated IMO.

Quote:
Go to a meet. Audition for yourself. Done.

+1 That's the only way to decide. You need to listen yourself with your ears, equipment and music. And you need to listen carefully and for a while. Sometimes I change my mind about the sound a certain headphone after using it for months. Also - don't read too many reviews - they will only mess with your mind and can make you do something silly like sell a headphone that you really liked just because some "expert" doesn't like it. Or they can make you buy a headphone you won't like just because "the experts" thought it is the best thing since sliced bread. Remember - there is no expert on a forum like this. We are all just normal people with our opinions, just like everyone else. If we recommend something, you really shouldn't take it much more seriously than an opinion of any other person you meet on the street. The only difference is that people on this forum may have more experience with different headphones, but that is only helpful if you know the people really well - their preferences, equipment, hearing abilities, etc. Otherwise, it is no different from and no more useful than any other opinion.

Jun 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 27
Indeed, the only true way to tell is to try a set for yourself, but my the purchase of my set was one of the better decisions I've made. 

I've gone back to my universals time, and time again. The results have been consistently the same. Whether they be my TF10s, Etymotics, Jays, or anything else I own, my universals cannot compare to my JH16s. Depth, extension, soundstage, texture, and every other piece of audiophile jargon you could come up with are quite simply better. I'm not an expert critical listener by any means, but as you said, the ears don't lie. TWag is just icing on the cake.

In addition to sound quality, there exists none of the uncomfortable pressure that universals are forced to exert in order to seal to a wide range of ear canal geometries. They are custom-molded just for you. Isolation is superior to all except for maybe my Etymotics inserted ultra-deep with the triple flange tips, and even then it's marginal.

But once again, decide for yourself. 
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 27
I tried fitting some people's reshells (A tf10 reshell and an SM3x6 reshell) and a Universal Merlin Demo, but the only custom that showed me that the $1000+ price tag was worth it was the JH13. I was pretty much blown away by it and was like: Oh, so THIS is what a custom sounds like.

I would say the price is worth it for an end all be all IEM. For most people though, universal top tier IEMs will do 

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 27
direct jump to a $1300 custom is never recommended. 

buy a good universal (SM3, Westone 4/3, CK10, FX700) , then when you know what type of sound you lile get a custom that delivers that .

also just a good custom wont do, you must have a good source too.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 27
Customs.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Go to a meet. Audition for yourself. Done.

I actually started off my first post like yours.
smile.gif
  look at my headphone list now.  I have tried customs since they are more afordable now(1964).  

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 27
please guys .... go to a meet ?!?!?!?  he is talking about customs ... that is the whole point.  You pretty much cannot truly audition these.

As to my opinion, in general customs are the way to go and just go for what you can afford. The more you spend, then better product you are most likely to get.   Be prepared to take impressions more than once because it's all about the fit:  it has to be perfect to perform.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 27
Clie is referring to universal demos that JHA provides at meets if they show up.  Sill, you are putting down the cash on customs not universals.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
please guys .... go to a meet ?!?!?!?  he is talking about customs ... that is the whole point.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 27
I have low end UE Super.fi 5, Triple.fi 10. I have high end UE 18 Pro, JH Audio 18 Pro, Sleek Audio CT7. I can tell a huge change in rang, sound stage, clarity from the Triple.fi 10 to the 18 Pro. I feel for the money that I would rather have the Triple.fi 10 over the Sleek CT7. The CT7 does not in my opinion deserve to be next to the JH 16 Pro or the UE 18 Pro. I would say personally that the UE 18 Pro and JH 16 Pro are worth the money over the Triple.fi 10. The thing about the the two is that they have two completely different sound signatures that you would have to chose depending on the music genre you are listening to most. For example: When I listen to Kansas, Dust in the Wind the JH Audio 16 Pro has a more true sound stage and better instrument isolation. When I listen to Chris Brown, Beautiful People the UE 18 Pro has a more fun & stand-out sound that I personally enjoy over the JH 16. I have talked to many that all have their own personal preferences. It will all be about finding yours out for yourself. My first custom IEM was the Sleek Audio CT7 but never listen to them anymore as the UE 18 and JH 16 have a much better sound stage, more bottom end and range. I do feel that once you have found the right sound that the customs are the way to go for super comfort and noise cancellation I believe they are definitely worth the money.

Jun 13, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Hello, I want to spend more than $1,000 on an item I can't return and have never tested before. Before I do I'd like to know if what JHaudio and Ultimate Ears claim is true? Do they really produce the best sound quality IEMs in the world. Their marketing is great "more is better" and the "famous people" testimonials.

How significant is the audio quality change from a $200 etymotic or $400 custom UE IEMs to a $1,300 JH/UE IEMs? If you don't have this specific build please don't respond with more marketing data. I want realistic results, the ears dont lie.

You may want to check this thread: Are (High-end) Custom IEMs Overrated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back