Ulitmate Ears and JH Audio $1,300 scam?
Aug 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #16 of 27
Interesting thread.

I love IEMs. Portability is crucial, as I use them at work, traveling, and exercising.

I currently own (and love) a pair of Shure 535's, but have been considering investing in some JH 16s (although I will probably wait to see if they do another Black Friday deal this year).

Without a way to truly audition customs, this is a problem I'm sure many IEM fans face. Can someone shed light on on what types of improvements I can expect to hear from making the jump from the shure's to the JH? If I primarily used unamped, portable sources (lossless files of course), is the investment even worth it?

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 27
I thought there was a significant enough improvement over my TF10's to warrant the cost of ordering the UE11 after auditioning them at a meet when UE reps brought their entire custom line modified to accepted IEM tips.  However, each person has different opinions on what sound is good enough or whether or not it is worth it to them.  Best to try one of them out and decide for yourself, everything is subjective.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #18 of 27
UE and JH have been at meets with their customs and foam tips for audition. It can give you an idea of the sq. But if you're balking at paying that much, then I think customs (or at least those customs) are not for you.

Someone in this thread suggested you work your way through some universals first. I think that's probably the best advice to follow.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #19 of 27
The truth is yes, it is a rip off.  The sound quality differences between some hifi sets and some mid range sets does not merit $1000+ extra.  You are paying for a specific type of sound signature with a moderate increase in sound quality.  It is a rip off if you are not looking for a specific sound as only found in the set in question.  However, if it is something you want then it becomes invaluable and something you will pay for regardless of the price.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 27
Only you know yourself. 

If you think you can be satisfied with a lesser pair of earphones, go for it. 

However, if you one who has a tendency to upgrade, the offerings from UE and JH especially will be for you. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 27
Upgraditis is a disease. The cure is not buying the most expensive thing around.
Personally, I first try to squeeze out as much sound quality out of a pair then perhaps upgrading if I find a promising candidate.

[Or buying an IEM out of need, like those Brainwavz M2 fallback IEMs, which can rival GR07 for quality after eq, but only then. They really need equalization, can't stress that enough. The subbass texture is slightly lacking (ringier) in comparison, soundstage is wider, but slightly less resolving in depth. But extension is suprisingly in favor of M2, both ways. Midrange texture sound more... musical (?) and less harsh. All in all, suprisingly competent for 100% price difference.

There's something about them that makes them musical as opposed to analytical despite flat equalization. GR07 is pretty analytical in comparison after eq. Makes me want to listen to flaws in recordings as opposed to music - and it's not like it exposes more of them. Good for mastering/monitoring, less for enjoyment. I fully approve. If only comfort was a tiny bit better still...]

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 27
You can put artwork and custom colors to your customs........???
etysmile.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 27
@OP no one ever said you had to start at the top but you hear claims made by them, so I don't think you'd be happy putting money down on a lower tier custom IEM, because you'd be left wondering, therefore +1 with anyone who said go to a meet or call around to authorized audiologists for the brands you seek, and see if you can hear some demo Custom IEM's, be sure to bring your sources/amps etc.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 27
Aug 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back