UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Sep 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #1,336 of 1,381
Hello there

Would just like too thanks Andy so very much for putting this together and what a great job he done.
beerchug.gif
Also am so pleased it went so well for him.

Also would like to thanks Andy family, who made us all so welcome, and it was very nice to meet them. Mum made me a very nice cup of coffee as well.

Met some great people and had some great chats, and learned so much in such a short space off time. Also thanks for letting me use you equipment.

Thanks too everyone who donated a prize, and so happy with what I won.

Have just taken the Virtus- 01 headphone amp out of the box, for a start its heavy, but also it looks so well made. During the meet I did listen to it a few times and really enjoyed what I heard. Can't wait to get it set up and have another listen. I will post my views, but as a complete newbie to value amps I made need some help.

Thank you all again.

Cheers Frank

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #1,337 of 1,381
Quote:
That's a shame, seems i forgot to ship the Mini to Mini and LOD with the other raffle prizes, if you would like one, PM me your details.

Oh crikey, I sound like the kid who didn't win at "pass the parcel", and we have to keep playing until he does win !

I realise now that you are Frank from Toxic Cables - was looking for you yesterday to sing the praises of the HE-500 recable I bought from you a little while ago, but the guys told me you had family committments - I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.

Thank you very much for your kind offer - PM sent  
happy_face1.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #1,338 of 1,381
A big thankyou to Andy and family for such a great meet. Fabulous array of gear to drool over, who would have thought, TWO yes TWO BHSE amps!

Thought Mr.Q had brought a cocktail cabinet with him till i realised it was a vintage marantz amp.

Had a good listen to Justin's (Just audio) new offerings and they sounded fantastic. First rate workmanship shoehorned into such small enclosures.

Many thanks to Frank (Toxic cables) for sending a box of cables to try.

More impressions to come as i get my thoughts together. Great to see some of the fellow meet veterans and many new faces too.

It must be my turn to win a raffle prize at the next meet
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,339 of 1,381
Here is a message I received from Chris who was at the meet as you probably know. I don't wanna get in trouble for posting this but I just think it should be posted here as involves forgotten equipment.

This is an email I received:

Tell Mattyhew

That the amp was left behind in bubble wrap and left on one of the tables.
I picked it up (even asked you via email) and asked others that were there – who’s it was.

I then gave it to Andy – and he has it and said he will post it out to whoever owns it.

Also, here are 1 ¼” adapters that were left with my headphones (from people demoing them on their own) – both adapters are not mine – and I would like them returned to their owners.
If however no one wants them or can be asked to pay for shipping, then that’s fine.

Say it was me -  message on behalf of me, lol

-Chris

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #1,340 of 1,381
Me loving Zenpunks Senn HD700!

Chris also took some pictures and i will upload them for him! Very nice pictures and i am sure most of you will feature in one or two!

Sep 16, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #1,341 of 1,381
Quote:
Hello there

Would just like too thanks Andy so very much for putting this together and what a great job he done.
beerchug.gif
Also am so pleased it went so well for him.

Also would like to thanks Andy family, who made us all so welcome, and it was very nice to meet them. Mum made me a very nice cup of coffee as well.

Met some great people and had some great chats, and learned so much in such a short space off time. Also thanks for letting me use you equipment.

Thanks too everyone who donated a prize, and so happy with what I won.

Have just taken the Virtus- 01 headphone amp out of the box, for a start its heavy, but also it looks so well made. During the meet I did listen to it a few times and really enjoyed what I heard. Can't wait to get it set up and have another listen. I will post my views, but as a complete newbie to value amps I made need some help.

Thank you all again.

Cheers Frank

Hey Frank

Congratulations on winning that amp, now you can throw that Kenwood in the bin
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #1,342 of 1,381
Quote:
Oh god, finally managed to got back home just now. Ouchy.

Memo to self: never, ever decide to give someone a lift to a train station in an unknown city in the dark with no kind of streetmap. We were lost in Cambridge for a bloody long time because of you.
mad.gif
(Also only got home about the same time you did.)

Many thanks to Andy for organising everything and all those who came to the after-meet dinner (with obvious exceptions
tongue.gif
), it was a great meet with a great atmosphere. I can't wait to try out the Matrix Rip DAC I won through one of the forum competitions and my friend seems very happy with the Mad Dogs that he won in the raffle.

EDIT: One of the 1/4" adapters might be mine if it's silver and cheap-looking. I literally brought it to the meet to be used as a spare in case someone needed one and don't need it back.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #1,343 of 1,381
Great to put faces to names, and thanks again Andy for putting it together!

As I said, we might be able to offer a central venue (between Birmingham and Manchester, just off the M6) next year if it's useful or popular.

Unpacking today, we seem to have acquired a white unbranded USB stick and a 20cm TRS > 3.5mm downsize adaptor lead . . . anyone like to claim them?

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,344 of 1,381
Quote:
Hey Frank

Congratulations on winning that amp, now you can throw that Kenwood in the bin
tongue.gif

Or I could use it as a foot stool while playing with my new toy.

Have got the Virtus- 01 set up now, and having a play.  WOW very nice.
L3000.gif

PC>Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192 > Virtus- 01 > Sennheiser RS180

Apart from some cables, the Sennys are the weak link here, and am going to replace them. Tried quite a few Headphones at the meat, which gave me some idea of the headphone that I like.

Will start a new post on the Virtus and give you all my thoughts on it soon.

Sep 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,345 of 1,381
Thanks Andy for organising such a great event. It was great to be able to see, and more importantly hear, gear that usually I only get to read about, and meet some really nice people too.

Oh, and the raffle prizes, wow just fantastic. Says so much about the generosity of this community. I wasn't even sure what I'd won until I got it home and fired it up - turned out to be an Audio-gd NFB15.1 and is a great sounding amp/dac - I just can't believe I won it!

Thanks again to all!!!!!

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,347 of 1,381
It truly was a great day. My thanks also to Andy and his family - a job very well done. The venue was great, the amount of gear was amazing (and set new pinnacles in my listening experiences), an impressive array of vendors and dealers were present (including the presidents/CEOs of Arcam and Lake people (Violectric)!), the raffle was off the hook and it was great to catch up with familiar faces and meet some new ones - attendance was impressively strong. I really enjoyed the evening do too; good food and company. I have a ton of photos to upload, which I'll add to the impressions thread (I trust there already is one!) along with my meager thoughts on the stars of the show.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,348 of 1,381
I have an excellent time yesterday! It was great chatting to many of you. Highlight for me was listening to the various excellent Stax 007 setups! They were all absolutely amazing and leaves nothing to be desired.

Fried Reim of Violectric is excellent, and I was blown away by his V181 and V800 setup. So blown away that I have bought the V181 on the spot! It's now serving very well as my amp for the HD650 and K1000. Hopefully by this time next year I will have a set-up to demo which I am satisfied by!

The portable amp and Dac from Just Audio were very impressive! Such an excellent Dac/Amp in such a small package. I was a bit annoyed that I didn't spot it in the raffle prices when it came to my turn to pick. Maybe next time!

It was excellent listening to the HiFi-man, and the LCDs. I am very impressed by the amount of impact those setup delievers! They are a bit heavy for my liking, but definitely colour me impressed.

I faintly noticed someone was hoping to sell a Little Dot MK IV, was it sold in the end?

Thank you to Andy for such an excellent meetup!

Sep 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #1,349 of 1,381
Quote:
... I faintly noticed someone was hoping to sell a Little Dot MK IV, was it sold in the end?

That was me - George, black Quiksilver vest and shorts - no, really, it was a hot day 
tongue.gif

Amp didn't go in the end, even at the scandalously low price - according to Zenpunk - that I was asking !

Don't want to take this thread off track, so PM me if interested, but note the amp is balanced only, no RCAs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back