UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet - September 15th Cambridgeshire.
Jul 30, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #961 of 1,381
The list of gear I am planning to bring (if anybody want's to try any of it out) has changed to: E-DAC (odac). LittleDot I+ (various tubes), PRO900 (XB700 pads,stock pads), Q40 (Beyer pleather pads), CKS77, Atrio Mg7 and ZO 2.3. Does this list look a bit bass heavy? :)

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #962 of 1,381
I've almost bought the PRO 900 several times.  Really think I'd like it!  I'm guessing you'd recommend it? 

Trying to decide if I want something else like that - closed, more for portable use than just at home - or if I want to wait and buy a better open headphone just for home, like the HE-500.  So not spending the money yet but VERY tempted to get a pair of Ultrasone's. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #963 of 1,381
Hi Andy,

Please give me a ring when you get back as i think it is time to get people talking about what we are going to connect to the Stax SR009 i think it will set the bench mark.
Also got a few other new things coming so enjoy your holiday you deserve it and speak to you on your return.

Mark

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #965 of 1,381
Quote:
Hi Andy,

Please give me a ring when you get back as i think it is time to get people talking about what we are going to connect to the Stax SR009 i think it will set the bench mark.
Also got a few other new things coming so enjoy your holiday you deserve it and speak to you on your return.

Mark

Darn Mark, since when did you start stocking the 009, have to get myself some of those.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #966 of 1,381
6 1/2 weeks to go.

Will everybody have enough time to burn in their new purchases?

I jest.

With all this rain, I've had more time to sit and go through rotations of equipment.  It's been enjoyable going through the journey of 'upgraditus', or Gear Upgrade Syndrome,  all over again as I rarely sell my old gear.

I bought a couple of mistakes but am happy with nearly all I bought.

Waiting to find out what I'm missing out at the meet though.  Stax always make me smile but that is a big jump to make.

Thanks again Andy for conceiving and arranging such a magnificent meet on my doorstep.  I often thought of going to CanJam but you have effectively brought it to me, with a raffle to dream of.

Sceptre

NB. Gushing post I know, but it is +1 on the count to 1k.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #968 of 1,381
Hi guys,

Thought I'd upload some photo's of my holiday for you all to enjoy... just kidding!  
ksc75smile.gif

Here's a few images of the upgraded Super II that the lovely thermionic guy Lloyd Peppard has built especially for the meet. Lloyd is a real gentlemen and completed the amps construction despite having recently undergone two surgical procedures. So best wishes to Lloyd for a speedy recovery.

Keep posting messages!

Cheers,

Andy.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #969 of 1,381
Quote:
Well when you bring the SR009's you need to bring a 4000 dollar plus amp to drive them???

That's why I called it a big jump!
Half of my listening time is either bedside or travelling so I investigated and invested in portable rigs.  The 'mains free' set ups also have other advantages.

So, I'll save for SR009's, £4k bespoke amp, and 70 miles of TWaG balanced cable for my commute!

Is anyone bringing 70 miles of quality 4 core cable to the meet for me to try out?

Sceptre

PS - I quite like 'old school' single stereo mike recordings of acoustic groups and found this Cambridge based bands rendition of Waterloo Sunset.
http://www.talenthouse.com/creativeinvites/preview/a24321f766e55c6a157ceb27be1ba0ca/641?fb_comment_id=fbc_10151083744933896_24061408_10151085100533896#f3164b388

Another great source is Ramseur Records 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWopvuLwFw&feature=channel&list=UL

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #971 of 1,381
I got to audition the SR-009 on my holiday to Hong Kong last winter, got to say that for my tastes they are truly a quantum leap over anything I've heard before, and I've heard most of the big names now. Those who haven't heard it yet are in for a treat.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #973 of 1,381
I'd be very interested to hear the SR-009s as well, having never heard a pair of electrostatics before.  I've been reading about Martin Logan speakers needing replacement panels though, because they wear out with use apparently (a conversation on Hif-Fi Wigwam), and I was wondering if the same issue holds with the Stax or if they last for the lifetime of the phones?

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #975 of 1,381
I am sure all you guys have heard most brands by now and yes there are always some surprises, most of the time you get what you pay for and it is only your budget that limits how far we go up that tree or want to for that matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back