ugh...i become a fan of GRADO headphones LOL
May 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 135

Quote:

You should just go for a used RS-1 (or maybe HF-1/2) 
evil_smiley.gif
.  It really does improve on everything in the lower models and since you'll end up there anyways it will be cheaper to just skip everything in between.  Funny thing, I was trying out an HE-500 last week and my wife preferred the RS-1..   

I hope to get an RS-1 someday. I still think though that the 225i is a good phone and is well worth every penny.

May 22, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #33 of 135
Ive been up and down the lower end Grado line, and I loved the 325i and my Wooden cup recabled SR60.  I too one day will get an RS-1 one day.  For now my Mogami recabled SR60 drivers in Beyer DT531 housing sound great,even though I prefer IEMs.

May 22, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 135
They certainly are special.

May 22, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 135
get the used 80is, mod em. then win.

May 23, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #37 of 135
Recabled 225's are the best so far. I bought a set of 225's that were recabled by ALO long long ago but they outplayed the RS-2's before the whole "i" series came out. I still have recabled 225's today and I love these as well! I will say that ALO does make a damn good looking cable long before you even get to how nice the cans are! They're the same drivers but they're just vented a little better on the driver. Not talking about the screen, theres fabric covering up portholes, the fabric is thinner and lets the cans breathe easier so you get really impactful bass that any sane person would find pleasing.

Back in the day you wanted the 80's because they came with the better pads alongside the better cable. You could buy the 60's with the pads and it'd end up saving you only 20 bucks and it would still bother you that you have the "60". It's just the way the Grado lineup works.

If you could really use the 30 bucks, the 60's are JUST fine. Again a cable makes a difference but it's still the same headphone at the end of the day more or less, don't get upsold if you really aren't planning on spending that much. I'm modding up some 60's right now actually with a recable. I don't like the venting mods since I'm kind of queasy about punching holes in anything, but these should sound damn tasty at the end of tonight! I'm going to remove that stupid SR-60 button too because of that whole placebo effect that I somehow have less of a Grado because the 60's still kick ass and take names. Somebody really ought to buy me a digital camera...

They do get a lot of crap for pretty much making the same headphone like 10 different ways and for that flimsy looking build quality, but I sleep straight on the earcups every night, I wake up with the headphones either on the ground or on my face every morning, and they're still around. I never got any breakages in the cable either, I always check to see if my office chair is on the cable haha.

May 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #38 of 135

Quote:
Recabled 225's are the best so far. I bought a set of 225's that were recabled by ALO long long ago but they outplayed the RS-2's before the whole "i" series came out. I still have recabled 225's today and I love these as well! I will say that ALO does make a damn good looking cable long before you even get to how nice the cans are! They're the same drivers but they're just vented a little better on the driver. Not talking about the screen, theres fabric covering up portholes, the fabric is thinner and lets the cans breathe easier so you get really impactful bass that any sane person would find pleasing.

Back in the day you wanted the 80's because they came with the better pads alongside the better cable. You could buy the 60's with the pads and it'd end up saving you only 20 bucks and it would still bother you that you have the "60". It's just the way the Grado lineup works.

If you could really use the 30 bucks, the 60's are JUST fine. Again a cable makes a difference but it's still the same headphone at the end of the day more or less, don't get upsold if you really aren't planning on spending that much. I'm modding up some 60's right now actually with a recable. I don't like the venting mods since I'm kind of queasy about punching holes in anything, but these should sound damn tasty at the end of tonight! I'm going to remove that stupid SR-60 button too because of that whole placebo effect that I somehow have less of a Grado because the 60's still kick ass and take names. Somebody really ought to buy me a digital camera...

They do get a lot of crap for pretty much making the same headphone like 10 different ways and for that flimsy looking build quality, but I sleep straight on the earcups every night, I wake up with the headphones either on the ground or on my face every morning, and they're still around. I never got any breakages in the cable either, I always check to see if my office chair is on the cable haha.

Haha I always make sure that I haven't rolled over the cable. I'm super paranoid about keeping my stuff in tip top shape.

May 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #39 of 135
Today, I received SR-60i.

First, it looks 99% same as SR-80i, but 80i's pad is much smoother and softer...(looks the same).

Sound wise, since i just got SR-60i, and need to burn in, so sound will probably change after hours of usage, 

but my first impression is, it has grado's sound signature like SR80i, but i can say the difference between those two because 80i's sound is more defined? i would say 60i's sound is bit rougher than 80i. Also 80i has smoother deeper bass.

I think people who want to enter the world of grado, SR60i is really good choice for the first grado headphones since its price is fairly good, and also has grado sound signature.

:D

May 30, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #40 of 135

Quote:
Today, I received SR-60i.

First, it looks 99% same as SR-80i, but 80i's pad is much smoother and softer...(looks the same).

Sound wise, since i just got SR-60i, and need to burn in, so sound will probably change after hours of usage, 

but my first impression is, it has grado's sound signature like SR80i, but i can say the difference between those two because 80i's sound is more defined? i would say 60i's sound is bit rougher than 80i. Also 80i has smoother deeper bass.

I think people who want to enter the world of grado, SR60i is really good choice for the first grado headphones since its price is fairly good, and also has grado sound signature.

:D

Thanks for your opinions!

May 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #41 of 135
I hope to one day get the MSPro and the RS1i and compare them side by side. Currently have the ms1 and ms2i. Need one more to complete the alessandro line up. Heard the ps1 and the 325(goldies) long ago. I think my favorite headphone ever has to be the ps1(but way outta my budget)

May 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 135
I'd love to try out a grado (probably starting with the sr125i), but lord knows if I spend more than 100 dollars on a pair of cans my parents would freak out haha. 

O well, guess I'll just have to wait till I leave for college next year :).

One question though, do you guys feel like the sound really justifies the comfort? I always hear of how many people can't keep them on for more than 30 minutes, and i can see why by the design. 

May 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #43 of 135
I've been reading this forum a lot lately, trying to stuff my head into headphones. After absorbing a lot of contradictory posts, I decided to pit Sennheiser HD-598s vs. Grado 125i cans to see where my own tastes lie (lay). For most things, I like the Grados better because of the "veil" (you guys talk funny, but some times you make sense) of Sennheiser that seems to separate me from the music. However, it depends on the music. Neil Young sounded so bad to me on Grados last night that I threw his gold CD in the trash. He sounds better on the 598s, but not good. What really cinched it for me was Sarah Jarosz, whose bluegrass/folk sound is wonderful on Grado. Grado put me next to her. Sennheiser put me in the next room.

May 30, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #44 of 135
I too enjoy tiny cups that sit directly on my ears and stab them, begging me to take them off and return them so someone else intrigued by bleeding ears can get their hands on them.

May 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #45 of 135

Quote:
I too enjoy tiny cups that sit directly on my ears and stab them, begging me to take them off and return them so someone else intrigued by bleeding ears can get their hands on them.

Hey, play nice. No sense in posting here when we know you don't like Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back