UE 700's- one of the most underated IEM's I've ever heard.
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

eclein

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently received as my part in a trade a newish pair of UE700's (Ultimate Ears) and I'm amazed these don't get more attention. First- the bass, its there its just not thumping, car jumping, ears bleeding thick with no definition- its part of the overall sound and for this head-fi'er presented in the right amount. If I get a product that adds too much color in one specific area then I usually end up sending that item back. 
Bass is part of an overall tonal presentation and should'nt be over cooked, or bloated unless thats the way it was supposed to be recorded and played back as determined by the artist, engineer, etc...
The sound I'm hearing from these UE 700's is akin to playback of music through a high end tube setup and a damn fine one at that. 
 I had a list of 5 or 6 more IEM's I was going to try and I'll probably continue down the list out of curiosity as to what else is out there that could blow these away so badly as to relegate them to an also ran in the great IEM debate. 
 When I made the trade the gentleman proposing the UE 700's as his part mentioned in passing how he sold off a bunch of more highly regarded IEM's after hearing the UE 700's and the only reason he was trading these away is they were a second pair he received by mistake or something along those lines. 

So how many folks feel the same way as I about the UE 700's??
What other IEM's do you feel are severely underated in your opinion, what IEM's, buds, whatever have made you say "why don't these get more attention"??

Enjoy the music....

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 81
lazuline- That may be the case, I really don't know but I'm talking sound quality only. I'll try some others I really want to try like the Sleek Audio SA-7 when it comes out and UE Triple fi and more from one of the big review threads done here by awesome head-fi'er's. I mean right now if I had no other option then to take these as my only ones I'd be fine with the UE700 as my only pair. Its all very subjective and others may not agree but for folks that have them or heard them don't you think the UE700's are underated in terms of sound quality??

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 81
Well, usually the price is taken into consideration when it comes to being under/overrated.  For example, Bose products don't sound bad per se - they just cost about 3x-4x as much as they're really worth.  But if they were to lower the price closer to other products that sound just as good, I'm sure they'd be much better received.

That said, I've never really heard much about the UE700s here - usually the only ones that are mentioned are the TF10s.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 81
Your right the price is an issue, I just looked them up on Amazone and they were around $150 and I think they are worth it myself, I could be wrong, I might get blown away by some of the new models I want to check out but I just thought these sounded much better then folks give them credit for. If these sound this good and folks think they are overpriced then I can't wait to hear the new Sleek models and some of the known giant killers I read about. So let me ask then, in the $150 range what models are killer??

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 81
Well, I'd recommend the GR07 at $150.  You can also find the triple.fi 10 around there (maybe $30-40 more), which is probably a lot better than the UE700.  Of course, it all depends on what you're looking for.  The RE0/RE-ZERO cost even less than $100 and are amazing for their price, but have a totally different sound signature - more cold and analytical.

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 81
I just wonder how many folks like certain earphones, IEM's, but are afraid to write about it because the general consensus here is pointing in another direction.
I also have a pair of Sleek Audio SA-1's and they are smooth also, very even across the entire range of tonality. I can't wait to hear the new Sleek SA-7's when they come out, they look awesome on paper and visually actually to me also....I love super modern looking high tech stuff and they fit the bill in spades.
Anybody else want to come out of the IEM UE closet---LOL

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 81
Ipod touch 2g and Fiio E5 and the sound is anything but cold and analytical to me, but everybody hears things differently. Soon with a HM602 thats on the way....

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 81
If I see any discounted ones I'll let you guys know!!

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 81
I do love my UE 700's but I paid $100 for them when I received a 50%-off promotion from UE. However, I'm always worried about the build quality. They've taken a decent beating but I'm always worried the cords will come out. Though, the price take of $150 seems fair to me these days.

That being said, I'm thinking of upgrading and am starting to consider what that would mean.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 81
i had them for a while, but they kept breaking, after 3 pairs apple gave me my money back, i wasnt too rough on them either

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 81
Yeah, I was only talking about price. In terms of sound quality I think they're great -- but I love cold and analytical. If the price where to drop a bit more, or if there was a gold box /black friday deal for these at $99 I'd wager a number of head-fiers would snap them up, myself included. And the current $100-$150 street price of the TF10 probably isn't helping those looking at UE's universal offerings.

Quote:
lazuline- That may be the case, I really don't know but I'm talking sound quality only. I'll try some others I really want to try like the Sleek Audio SA-7 when it comes out and UE Triple fi and more from one of the big review threads done here by awesome head-fi'er's. I mean right now if I had no other option then to take these as my only ones I'd be fine with the UE700 as my only pair. Its all very subjective and others may not agree but for folks that have them or heard them don't you think the UE700's are underated in terms of sound quality??

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 81
I absolutely love my UE700s. Currently have the TF10, CK10, MPTC,  IE7, PS 200, A8..etc. and I've owned literally a dozen more phones beyond that price range. Still the UE700 remains the pair that gives me the most eargasmic listening experiences. These have just got the perfect mix of everything. 

Price wise they are definitely a good buy at $150 but I got mine during a Logitech promotion for $110-ish which only makes the purchase sweeter. I think it's very unreasonable to say a pair of dual-BA IEMs should have a street price of $100, from a huge and reputable company no less.  Even the budget Brainwavz dual-BAs cost upwind of $150.

Durability is an issue. They are quite fragile and wouldn't last more than a few month of GENTLE useage, as with many lower-end UE products, but I plan on custom-molding mine pretty soon because I just love them. So you can use them until they break, get a brand new replacement for free from UE, or you can spend $80 to get them custom fitted. Then you'd have a great dual-BA custom for less than $200! (Suppose you bought them for $110-ish)

It's funny how people who have never heard of these would say random things like "Oh you can get this and that for $$$ more and they probably sound a lot better", but really they've only heard a puny selection and only actually own one or two FOTM phones and they just go around mindlessly recommending them, which is really a great example of how FOTM flames spread on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back