UE 700's- one of the most underated IEM's I've ever heard.
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 81
I know now thinking back that if these were not part of a trade I probably wouldn't have tried them and just gone for the TF's but these were offered and I saw they were second from the top for UE so I jumped, I just got lucky in a sense. I'd pay $150 for them now that I've heard them and as someone mentioned earlier the fact that the TF's are so close no price wise it hurts these because it just makes more common sense to get top of the line model as opposed to lesser if its only a few dollars more. 

So let me ask you guys then, are the Triple Fi 10's worth me checking out, maybe catch a deal, are they different sound signature or close but better? or worse?

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 81
I've been very happy with my UE700s since I got them 18 months back as a gift.  Their sound quality is better than most other IEMs I've tried at or below their price range, and I like them better than the sound quality of some I've paid much more for.

If I have time in the next few days, I'll run an A/B comparison with my Triple.Fi 10s.  A thumbnail sketch has the following:
1) Bass: Triple.Fi 10s are just more powerful with more extension
2) Mids: Roughly the same
3) Highs: The highs on the UE700s are more pronounced, but they're not as smooth as on the Triple.Fi 10s.  I don't find the UE700s objectionable
4) Sound stage: roughly the same.  Perhaps a bit more ambience on the UE700s due to their emphasized highs
5) Ergonomics: The UE700s win hands down

My UE700s are usually my travel back-up IEMs to whatever else I'm carrying.

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #20 of 81
I have to disagree with you...

You get what you pay for, in most cases that saying is true... and In this case it's no different... the TF10's at even $189 on amazon is a GREAT deal for just how GREAT they sound

Quote:
Yeah, I was only talking about price. In terms of sound quality I think they're great -- but I love cold and analytical. If the price where to drop a bit more, or if there was a gold box /black friday deal for these at $99 I'd wager a number of head-fiers would snap them up, myself included. And the current $100-$150 street price of the TF10 probably isn't helping those looking at UE's universal offerings.

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 81
ipodhappy- Thanks for the thumbnail sketch, thats awesome, and I love your ergonomics .."UE700 win hands down".....LOL....Ok so I've been reading alot about the TF10's and maybe I just pass on them for now...what do you think about Westone 4's???

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #22 of 81

Quote:
I've been very happy with my UE700s since I got them 18 months back as a gift.  Their sound quality is better than most other IEMs I've tried at or below their price range, and I like them better than the sound quality of some I've paid much more for.

If I have time in the next few days, I'll run an A/B comparison with my Triple.Fi 10s.  A thumbnail sketch has the following:
1) Bass: Triple.Fi 10s are just more powerful with more extension
2) Mids: Roughly the same
3) Highs: The highs on the UE700s are more pronounced, but they're not as smooth as on the Triple.Fi 10s.  I don't find the UE700s objectionable
4) Sound stage: roughly the same.  Perhaps a bit more ambience on the UE700s due to their emphasized highs
5) Ergonomics: The UE700s win hands down

My UE700s are usually my travel back-up IEMs to whatever else I'm carrying.

would you recommend the ue700 over the shure se215?? they are really not far apart in terms of price and you rate them higher in your signature. you also rate the shure e500 higher than the ue700 but the se530 lower, go figure lol the e500 and se530 are the same earphones lol

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #23 of 81
jinx2001- explain to me what your point is? That the individual isn't properly ranking the phones? isn't keeping good signature maintenance? or are you just being a ball buster? What do you like about the UE700's jinx2001????

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #24 of 81

Quote:
jinx2001- explain to me what your point is? That the individual isn't properly ranking the phones? isn't keeping good signature maintenance? or are you just being a ball buster? What do you like about the UE700's jinx2001????

lol i wasnt busting balls dont interpret i am intending my comments to be harsh just because of how it is worded. read it again and you will see i asked him a question which was how would he rate the se215 against the ue700 when pricing is very similar, i thought it would be an interesting comparison, both use completely different technology, infact they are so technically different it makes a comparison even more interesting, the ue700 seems to certainly offer more but i would like to know how they sound and which he would recommend.

in regards to your questions, i have not listened to the ue700 but i have listened to the super fi 5 pro and triple fi 10, aswell as shures e3c, e4c, se310 and se530. so i know the signature of each manufacturer is very different, hence why i thought i would ask for a comparison as the se215 have gotten good press lately.

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #25 of 81
THey're decent for around $100, got them brand new in Aus for $90 which was cool...
But the bass seems to distort at high volumes/ and the paintwork gets easily scratched. Detailwise, it is quite good at what it does.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #26 of 81

I got ya now, and that is a good question. jinx, you know Shure stuff and I have non right now but eventually I'll try them...which ones would you recommend say between $100-150ish give or take, where should I go right off the bat??
Quote:
lol i wasnt busting balls dont interpret i am intending my comments to be harsh just because of how it is worded. read it again and you will see i asked him a question which was how would he rate the se215 against the ue700 when pricing is very similar, i thought it would be an interesting comparison, both use completely different technology, infact they are so technically different it makes a comparison even more interesting, the ue700 seems to certainly offer more but i would like to know how they sound and which he would recommend.

in regards to your questions, i have not listened to the ue700 but i have listened to the super fi 5 pro and triple fi 10, aswell as shures e3c, e4c, se310 and se530. so i know the signature of each manufacturer is very different, hence why i thought i would ask for a comparison as the se215 have gotten good press lately.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #27 of 81

Quote:
I got ya now, and that is a good question. jinx, you know Shure stuff and I have non right now but eventually I'll try them...which ones would you recommend say between $100-150ish give or take, where should I go right off the bat??

honestly? i didnt think much of the cheaper shures, they sounded good but there are certainly better phones for the price, however i do think the se530 were some of the best i heard. i like my earphones to have the ability to provide as much bass as you could ever need hence why i love the IE8 right now, you can EQ bass down with no clipping or harsh effects on the sound but if you have earphones that are bass light and you EQ up this can cause disaster, its the most difficult frequencies to EQ without creating distortion, the se530 did provide nice bass but the lower end models could never drop a beat how i like it. so im summary i would not recommend the cheaper shures but if you can get a good price on some se530 they dont go too far wrong but they do drop off in the higher frequencies creating a smooth sound.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #28 of 81
I got my UE700s for $65 shipped, they are a great phone.  I think compared to the TF10 they main difference is the bass, the TF10 have way more bass,TF10 also has a bit of a midbass hump.  The highs are detailed but a bit harsh sometimes and not as smooth as the TF10.  Soundstage of UE700 is airy, but TF10 is wider.  UE700 has better imaging and resolution imho.  Fit is better obviously from UE700, unless you feel like getting some Olives for the TF10.  I would pick the TF10 over the UE700, so it's worth checking out.  

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #29 of 81
KimChee from the SR60 Mod thread right??  Hey how goes it......OK so Shure top of line is  worth a check and see, and TF10's, I noticed KimChee that your sig has Westone's in it......I'm going to try and get 1 pair of best I can afford in each manufacturers stuff, so if I had only one choice in Westone (which is true actually) which ones do I get,,,if its way up there thats ok as I can save up-give it or me your best choice knowing that UE700's are it and would totally be it with more bass, tight and punchy.

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #30 of 81

Quote:
would you recommend the ue700 over the shure se215?? they are really not far apart in terms of price and you rate them higher in your signature. you also rate the shure e500 higher than the ue700 but the se530 lower, go figure lol the e500 and se530 are the same earphones lol

I did a comparison of the UE700 vs. the SE215 and posted it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/480#post_7404541

I rated the SE215s higher than the UE700s for their better bass response, though from a microphonics and being discrete in public standpoint, the UE700s win.

The e500s I own have a distinctly different sound signature compared to the SE530s I own.  I bought the SE530s to be a back-up pair to the aging e500s and was disappointed to find the difference in sound signature.  I purchased them about 3 years apart.  Perhaps there were some manufacturing changes between the manufacturing dates which impacted the sound signature.  My e500s have a stronger bass presence and a richer presentation than the SE530s.

*** Update *** I went back and rechecked the "spaciousness" quality difference between the SE215 and UE700s described in the link above using a different source track, Tomita's version of "Sunrise" from the Grand Canyon Suite by Grofe.  Based on this track, I'd give the edge in 3D ambience to the UE700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back