UE-10 Pro material separation/crack?
Oct 6, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #61 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
So, here's the good news:

So I'll be sending my UE-10 Pro's back... and matter of weeks before I see an UE5c coming back...

This will make random so happy. A ue-5c vs 2x-s matchup.

I based on other people's repair and replacement with ue, you might have them back in a week with shipping included.

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #62 of 94
Quote:

So, here's the good news:

So I'll be sending my UE-10 Pro's back... and matter of weeks before I see an UE5c coming back...

So what happens to the difference in money? Will they refund it to you?

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #63 of 94
I think this is going to make a lot of us happy who are wrestling with this decision
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #64 of 94
No, I told them I wasn't looking to get any sort of refund back... that would be wrong as well, to ask them to refund me the difference after owning them for quite a while now.

UE-10 Pro was about $1000 give or take a few bucks (full-soft option, tax and all)... and UE5c should be about $600 or so give or take... So it's roughly a $400 difference.

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #65 of 94
The $400 seems like a lot, but if you think about it, another set of UE10Pro's would've sat around collecting dust since you already know you prefer the Sensas over them. At least this way there will be a chance you'll like them more.

Oct 6, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #66 of 94
Quote:

No, I told them I wasn't looking to get any sort of refund back... that would be wrong as well, to ask them to refund me the difference after owning them for quite a while now.

UE-10 Pro was about $1000 give or take a few bucks (full-soft option, tax and all)... and UE5c should be about $600 or so give or take... So it's roughly a $400 difference.

Fair enough, I expect a full review to follow.
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #67 of 94
Don't want to upset the tone, but before people start grinning too much, I think it would be wise to remember that we should all be more sad than happy that lindrone just lost 400USD in the process. Smacking our lips over the prospect of a new review is sort of wrong -- understandable, but wrong.

Carry on!
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #68 of 94
Of course it's your decision, Lindrone, but I'm a tad confused about why you'd be willing to except the UE-5c's for your defective UE-10's. I can understand that you got some value from owning the UE-10s as long as you did before they broke, however, I would think you'd be entitled to a new set of UE-10s without any ethical issue. From what I've read, it seems that there is some sort of across the board defect with the "soft" UE-10's -- they're just not durable at all. While you might expect this from a lower-end headphone, but the price of the Ue-10, I think you should expect them to be fairly durable. If the issue is that you simply don't want another pair of UE-10's, I can understand that, but I hope you don't think that UE should not be obligated to replace them.

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #69 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Of course it's your decision, Lindrone, but I'm a tad confused about why you'd be willing to except the UE-5c's for your defective UE-10's. I can understand that you got some value from owning the UE-10s as long as you did before they broke, however, I would think you'd be entitled to a new set of UE-10s without any ethical issue. From what I've read, it seems that there is some sort of across the board defect with the "soft" UE-10's -- they're just not durable at all. While you might expect this from a lower-end headphone, but the price of the Ue-10, I think you should expect them to be fairly durable. If the issue is that you simply don't want another pair of UE-10's, I can understand that, but I hope you don't think that UE should not be obligated to replace them.

Oh, to clarify everything, I could've gotten my UE-10 replaced with a hard acrylic version. However, I specifically asked if I can try the UE5c instead. Given that for the duration that I had the UE-10 Pro, I didn't find their sound particularly enjoyable. I've owned them long enough to know the characteristic of their sound, and there would be no reason for me to use them instead of my 2X-S.

Getting an UE5c instead will give me a hard acrylic IEM, and perhaps a sound that I would enjoy more... at least it'll give me another reference point if nothing else. I don't know whether or not I'll use them more than my 2X-S, but if it came down to having to get a replacement anyway, no reason to get a replacement that's going to be sitting around collecting dust again.

So, it's not that UE is sending me the UE5c, it's that I specifically asked if that could be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #70 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Don't want to upset the tone, but before people start grinning too much, I think it would be wise to remember that we should all be more sad than happy that lindrone just lost 400USD in the process. Smacking our lips over the prospect of a new review is sort of wrong -- understandable, but wrong.

Carry on!
biggrin.gif

LOL.. thanks blue_onion, your concern is most appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #72 of 94
Lindrone, please, let them replade the UE 10's with UE10's or something else of equal value. The defect is not something that should be tolerated with a product so expensive. As long as they were not mishandled, the company should take care of them and you, and indeed has an obligation to do so. If you let them off the hook this way, they will use your case as a reason to treat other customers the same way. Imagine Apple saying to someone, "Yes, your 40gig ipod has a problem, but under your warranty we will give you a new 20gig ipod, and will engrave the back for free!" Who would accept that? I don't know how rich you are, but I'm far from poor, and would be outraged to take a $400 loss that way (actually, your loss is for the full value of the phones because you have no use for them). Also, if you don't like the 10's, there is no reason you will prefer the 5's. You will just have 2 sets of phones gathering dust. If you do get the 5's, can you get them with universal earpieces? Then perhaps you could sell them and thus recoup some of your $$$, after reviewing them, ofcourse.

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #73 of 94
Quote:

Oh, to clarify everything, I could've gotten my UE-10 replaced with a hard acrylic version. However, I specifically asked if I can try the UE5c instead. Given that for the duration that I had the UE-10 Pro, I didn't find their sound particularly enjoyable. I've owned them long enough to know the characteristic of their sound, and there would be no reason for me to use them instead of my 2X-S.

Getting an UE5c instead will give me a hard acrylic IEM, and perhaps a sound that I would enjoy more... at least it'll give me another reference point if nothing else. I don't know whether or not I'll use them more than my 2X-S, but if it came down to having to get a replacement anyway, no reason to get a replacement that's going to be sitting around collecting dust again.

So, it's not that UE is sending me the UE5c, it's that I specifically asked if that could be done
smily_headphones1.gif

Uh, I thought that was pretty clear Bunny.

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #74 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Lindrone, please, let them replade the UE 10's with UE10's or something else of equal value. The defect is not something that should be tolerated with a product so expensive. As long as they were not mishandled, the company should take care of them and you, and indeed has an obligation to do so. If you let them off the hook this way, they will use your case as a reason to treat other customers the same way. Imagine Apple saying to someone, "Yes, your 40gig ipod has a problem, but under your warranty we will give you a new 20gig ipod, and will engrave the back for free!" Who would accept that? I don't know how rich you are, but I'm far from poor, and would be outraged to take a $400 loss that way (actually, your loss is for the full value of the phones because you have no use for them). Also, if you don't like the 10's, there is no reason you will prefer the 5's. You will just have 2 sets of phones gathering dust. If you do get the 5's, can you get them with universal earpieces? Then perhaps you could sell them and thus recoup some of your $$$, after reviewing them, ofcourse.

It's quite simple.......

Lindrone [size=large]HAS[/size] been offered a UE-10 Pro replacement by UE however he [size=large]CHOOSES[/size] to have the UE-5c instead because he doesn't like the sound signature of the UE-10 Pro over the 2X-S. As he doesn't really use the UE-10 Pro this is the best option for him. He isn't "letting them off the hook" as this is his choice and they are complying with Lindrone's wishes. The UE-5c are different to the UE-10 Pro as they are tuned to give more bass.

He is returning the UE-10 Pro and the UE-5c will be sent out free of charge under warranty. How will he have 2 sets of phones gathering dust?

Your analagy doesn't apply here as the product is custom made and there is no universal fit option. If you don't like the sound signature of the iPod then you can return it. This isn't an option of custom IEMs or the companies would go out of business quickly with people returning them having decided the sound signature isn't quite to his/her liking. UE have done exactly what anyone would have expected and offered a replacement. They are under no obligation to offer Lindrone a refund of the $400 as he chooses to have the less expensive UE-5c as a replacement instead of the offered $900 UE-10 Pro.

Hopefully this makes things clear for you!!
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #75 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Also, if you don't like the 10's, there is no reason you will prefer the 5's.

Then again, given the "leanness" of the UE10Pro sound, lindrone might possibly prefer the UE5c because it may be warmer by comparison.

Anyway I think it's great! The UE10Pros were gathering dust anyway -- why not try something else? Lindrone's sunk cost is already sunk. Getting new UE10Pros back doesn't mean he'll like them anymore than the first set.

And really, it will be great to get another datapoint, and a first comparison between the UE5c and Sensaphonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back