UE-10 Pro material separation/crack?
Oct 4, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #16 of 94
Wow. So the big question, are they going to replace them with ue-5c? They obviously need to be replaced.

Oct 4, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #17 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
PS: I see you must have trimmed your nails very well for those up-close hand shots.. :p I though about that b/c I'd *just* trimmed my nails, hehe
biggrin.gif

Actually keeping your nails trimmed is a good idea for the sensaphonics. You do not want to accidently dig your nails into them when inserting them into your ears. I don't think it would be an easy thing to do but it seems possible.

Oct 4, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 94
wow, for lack of a better word.

to encounter something like that at this price-level.

cmon ue.

they better give you the ue5c's, it's the least they could do for you and still remain an ethical business in my eyes. (flame away, but those pix convey one helluva shoddy piece of workmanship.)

Oct 4, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 94
Eh knowing how nasty those cracks are, I would hesitate to take a shot at the UE-10 Pros myself. I would think this is an excellent opportunity for UE to take good care of you though, hope it all works out for the best.

Oct 5, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #22 of 94
I think the main issue is the way they make their IEM and their usage of this particular material just doesn't mix. They make their IEM by creating two half-shell that they glue together later in the process. By having two half-shell of different consistency, one bends and gives more than the other half, it's a matter of time before the sealed surface will come apart.

As to how exactly this happened though, I don't have a real explanation, since I haven't done anything with them since I last tested with with SR-71 & SuperMono, and they been in the box ever since. It could very well be that when I last tested them, they were already in this shape, but I did not pay any attention to it. I'm supposing it could be a matter of temperature or whatever that changed the full-soft material's shape over time.. even if the change is ever so slight (less than milimeters), it will cause this type of separation/crack to occur.

I would not expect people with hard acrylic material to see this occur at all with their UE-10 Pro, since there's no difference in material consistency, they should not "peel off" as my full-soft material half did.

Footnote & totally unrelated: I've always kept my nails short.. it bothers me when I'm typing or something and my nails are hitting the keyboard. Also bothers me when I play basketball, when I take a shot and my nail scratches against the ball as it comes off my finger.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 94
In fairness to UE haven't they recommended the hard acrylic to non professional users? The lack of durability would be less of an issue to a performer, for whom IEMs are not the greatest expense.

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #27 of 94
pshhh....

man, those pictures are a disgrace. THAT'S what should be on ue's website when you first get there.

i would not expect a 200 dollars pair of headphones to do that...for friggin' 950 dollars...you have got to be kidding me.

lol - those things cost MORE than the sensas?

ue should be ashamed.

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 94
the REAL reason they stopped is because people were having ALLERGIC REACTIONS - even though those reactions were rare, the fact that it happened at all is simply astonishing.

on top of this, the thing falls apart after 2 months?

words fail to express the absurdly terrible business practice going on here.

as someone who's father is a successful businessman and being interested in the business world myself, ue's issues with their products show a lack of foresight, engineering skill and utter disregard for their customers...a pure disgrace.

there are few businesses that i know of that exhibit such poor workmanship/ethics...

feel free to flame me all you want - the pictures and past comments about ue speak for themselves.

uch...

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #29 of 94
toaster22 - Yes, your comments deserve to be flamed. How can a defective product be indicative of comments like "utter disregard for their customers" and "poor ethics"? For goodness sakes, the product has a defect. My car has defects, my computer has defects - that makes neither manufacturer unethical!

UE would exhibit a "disregard for their customers" or a lack of ethics only when it fails to respond appropriately to a complaint. Nowhere in Lindrone's post does he indicate that UE is ignoring the problem (nor does he indicate that UE is even aware of the issue).

This constant harangue is getting so tiresome.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 94
there have been numerous instances about the ue's developing cracks. also, people have developed allergic reactions to their ue's - these issues are simply obscene considering the product. it displays poor workmanship and poor build quality. it's happend MANY times, and that's simply not acceptable. there is a big difference between a defective driver that is used in a product from a bad batch, and MANY instances of cracking and peeling among countless ue products.

the fact that they also have had customers developting allergic reactions to their product is just ridiculous - do your research and do not select a material that causes allergic reactions.

ue's advertising turned me off to the company, but all stuff that i've heard (and now seen for myself) really solidifies my belief that ue is not operating as ethically as (i think) an ethical company should.

good, they fix their mistakes, but an ethical company does not make these kinds of mistakes in the first place.

EDIT: whatever, sorry for going on and on about this, but i really don't like what i've seen from ue. i'll just let the pix speak for themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back