Two new HifiMan players announced: HM700 and HM802
Sep 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #33 of 357
  Is it just me, or the UI on the HM-700 resembles a lot like the UI used with HiSoundAudio DAPs, just inverted?  If it is, I'm passing up on the HM-700 without question.

Could be but I wouldn't write it off yet. Will likely be a more powerful/current soc with more feature capability. Lack of expansion would kill it for me but for those that do compressed formats and get a great IEM in the process, it sounds like a good deal. 

802 sounds like a good idea as well. I thought the 901 OS was fine when I tried it. It will probably still end up larger than I personally would prefer.

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #34 of 357
802 will be in body of 901, but made on double Wolfson 8740. Official dealer information.
I think 700 will be made on something like Sigmatel or Rockchip plus good amp section, cause of price.
I think that 700 is something very bad, ugly, touchpad, HO jack on the corner... Fang have bought some not interesting model to make it under his brand name.

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #35 of 357
802 will be in body of 901, but made on double Wolfson 8740. Official dealer information.

I think 700 will be made on something like Sigmatel or Rockchip plus good amp section, cause of price.

I think that 700 is something very bad, ugly, touchpad, HO jack on the corner... Fang have bought some not interesting model to make it under his brand name.

Nice info there. A big yes to 802, but now a definitely no to the 700.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #36 of 357

SigmaTel is out of production, so RockChip is probably more likely, given also the fact that HM6xx and HM801 are all on RockChip.

I don't find 700 ugly, but I don't like the HO jack position as well.

Dual WM7840 on HM901's shell sounds pretty promising.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #38 of 357
SigmaTel is out of production, so RockChip is probably more likely, given also the fact that HM6xx and HM801 are all on RockChip.

I don't find 700 ugly, but I don't like the HO jack position as well.

Dual WM7840 on HM901's shell sounds pretty promising.

I believe that Freescale is still producing them, only the Brand Sigmatel is not existing anymore. The Sigmatel is still inside of the newer Sansa Fuze.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #39 of 357
I believe that Freescale is still producing them, only the Brand Sigmatel is not existing anymore. The Sigmatel is still inside of the newer Sansa Fuze.

On big order like Sandisk, probably. But with small order like HifiMan, I doubt they will be interested any more (I believe Freescale said they will continue Sigmatel production only to fulfil current order). That's the reason why there is a industry wide abandonment of SigmaTel chip in China and now RockChip Nano is taking over the same small DAP market.

Anyway, here are a few more info: HM802 will come in dark blue color, instead of the metallic'ish black of HM901. Priced around $650. Dual OPA627 for DAC buffer. Battery and accessories (including amp module) are all compatible with HM901 (and I guess they are probably using the same SoC and majority of the firmware )

Also, the published HM700 battery life is 15hours. Also confirmed that the normal TRS single-end headphone can be used on HM700.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #40 of 357
On big order like Sandisk, probably. But with small order like HifiMan, I doubt they will be interested any more (I believe Freescale said they will continue Sigmatel production only to fulfil current order). That's the reason why there is a industry wide abandonment of SigmaTel chip in China and now RockChip Nano is taking over the same small DAP market.

Anyway, here are a few more info: HM802 will come in dark blue color, instead of the metallic'ish black of HM901. Priced around $650. Dual OPA627 for DAC buffer. Battery and accessories (including amp module) are all compatible with HM901 (and I guess they are probably using the same SoC and majority of the firmware )

Also, the published HM700 battery life is 15hours. Also confirmed that the normal TRS single-end headphone can be used on HM700.

Well, sounds reasonable. Either way, just the Rockchip and no separate DAC is not my taste.

Thanks for the additional information. It is more and more interesting. Hopefully it will sound similar to the Teclast T51 (very smooth).

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #42 of 357
I might be stupid but I do not understand the logic of the product range? What need is the 802 addressing? I own the 901 and I'd rather they make the product more stable and the firmware a bit better before putting out 10 new buggy DAPs.

The need of putting products on the $650 price range maybe? 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #45 of 357
What about just ONE flagship product that WORKS as intended. 
wink.gif

I don't understand why Hifiman are spreading themselves thin with more half-baked products while they don't seem to be able to sort out their flagship player.
They are so close to perfection with the HM-901 it is even more annoying. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back