TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,381 of 3,585
Quote:
Then multiply that budget by x 3! Then a year later multiply it by x 10 and so on.......

I innocently tried to buy a $50 used TT and have spent close to a hundred times that less than a year later.  That being said, it's been worth every penny.
biggrin.gif

The words he spoke can very quickly turn true...

So - really - a reasonable budget limit should be given. From my posts one might conclude I will be pushing for ever better/pricier gear. NOT true - but you can acuse me of having determination and tenacity surpassing that of your pitbull when we are meandering about equipment that could by really modest increase of funds at least start stopping being dangerous to records - like two fold increase of price for the stylus, taken together say additional 100 bucks. It is in this price segment that is most likely really meaningful differences regarding record wear are likely to occur. Remember - you can not put a better stylus tip profile than that used on Audio Technica AT440MLa (approx $200 ) on any other cart at any price. True - quality and mass of the diamond can be better with increasing price, etc etc - which will gain you better sound. But you can not significantly improve record wear with even the best available cartridge having the same stylus tip profile or to be more precise, same contact surface with the record groove walls. It does not and will never get better than that - any "sharper" than Micro Line profile would recut the groove - this is the end of the road.

So - I will be tenacious in suggesting you to get to the level where your equipment will support the requirements for Micro Line or equivalent stylus tip profile. It can never be cheap, but can be made reasonable. Once you have this level, you can rest easy until you win a lottery or similar in order to get
whatever you might fancy - because your records will remain in immaculate condition. By then, you shoul gather enough experience in order to make an informed decision where to go next.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,382 of 3,585
After much deliberation I bought the Denon DL103R Cart. The thing is nobody told me you need the hands of a Japanese child to fit it
blink.gif

I swear I stared at the mounting screws then at my hands 

and started laughing.

I've noticed how much quieter this cart is compared to my previous Ortofon VMS 20E MkII.
Edit; Ah! it has an output of .25mv

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,383 of 3,585
Quote:
After much deliberation I bought the Denon DL103R Cart...

I've noticed how much quieter this cart is compared to my previous Ortofon VMS 20E MkII.
Edit; Ah! it has an output of .25mv

What is your phono stage? Are you using a step-up transformer with it?

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #1,384 of 3,585
Quote:

What is your phono stage? Are you using a step-up transformer with it?

I'm using the phono statge from my Marantz 2385 until I get my SX1980 back after restoration. The 1980 has an adjustable phono stage. But if that fails I shall either get a high output cart or invest in the decware ZP3 which has a dedicate gain statge.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,385 of 3,585
Whats the best turntable for around $600 (excluding cartridge) or less? I am okay with vintage or new, whatever sounds better. So far I have looked at the Rega RP1 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for new and the Thorens TD 160 and Technics SL1200mk2 for vintage. Any suggestions of which ones are better/other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #1,386 of 3,585
Rega, Rega, Rega 
biggrin.gif
 I've heard them all except for the Tech 12, and the RP1 is definitely the best. I used to have a TD-145 (TD-160 with an auto-lift).

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,387 of 3,585
Quote:
Whats the best turntable for around $600 (excluding cartridge) or less? I am okay with vintage or new, whatever sounds better. So far I have looked at the Rega RP1 and the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for new and the Thorens TD 160 and Technics SL1200mk2 for vintage. Any suggestions of which ones are better/other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Any other opinions on this? I would like to get a few then decide.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,388 of 3,585
If you wanted a cart as well I would recommend taking a look at this one:

It comes with a "moving-magnet cartridge built by Ortofon with a nude elliptical stylus" for $875.

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,389 of 3,585
Quote:
Any other opinions on this? I would like to get a few then decide.

This is a tough question. Not familiar with mentioned Rega and Project models enough to be able to give preference to either.

Both Thorens and Technics can be made to sound much, much better. But by then, they would cost much, much more. If you are capable/prone to DIY , with additional funds down the road, perhaps something to consider.

If you just want to spend said amount, listen to music and basically call it a day, Rega is perhaps the  most rational design.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,390 of 3,585
Survivor man, any thoughts on the Oracle turntables?

Edit:
I guess I better not ask if you know much about the Sumiko Blackbird?

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,391 of 3,585
Well I'm really glad I sent my TT out for upgrades, it turns out that it also needed a pretty important repair (as in a tone arm replacement); there is "excessive return motion on the arm which indicates the gimbal is out of alignment, and the arm tube has a small crease in it where it sits in the arm rest which also suggests that downward force was applied to the arm while in the rest."

So that's one downside of getting a vintage fixer-upper on Audiogon, I wonder if the seller even knew. Of course it could have been damaged in shipping but I was told that it arrived fine, and I think that I packed it pretty well. The good news is that an SL-1200 arm is only $75 and I can sell the old one for parts. I can't wait to give the 103R another try!

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #1,392 of 3,585
Quote:
Survivor man, any thoughts on the Oracle turntables?

Edit:
I guess I better not ask if you know much about the Sumiko Blackbird?

No experience with Blackbird. Original Blue Point was unbelievably precisely made product - not a hint of shoddy craftsmanship that was way beyond the basic aluminium cantilever/elliptical stylus design. If Blackbird is anywhere as precisely made, it must be a great sounding cart with its boron cantilever and good tip. Sumiko is NOT a manufacturer - but their experience in sourcing/specifying carts probably is second to none.

I have one "fallen angel" Sumiko naked MC cart with broken off cantilever and coils/suspension intact - and will try to do a DIY retip first mentioned on vinylengine using - cactus thorn ( ! ). I have a "complimentary" broken NEW never seen vinyl Grado stylus - I really am interested how this will turn out - measurements and the whole jazz.

Off to searching for candidate cactus ...

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,393 of 3,585
Quote:

Thanks!

Save you pennies and pickup a B-Stock Marantz TT15-S1 for less than 1K.  They ship with new sealed Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridges that are $849 alone.  Check with Audio Classics LTD via AG, or sometimes MusicDirect has them.  I've had the 1K or less Pro-Jects, Music Halls and a Rega P3-24 and IMHO the TT15 beats the pants off them all.  If you are considering a Pro-Ject or Music Hall, shoot for one with the detached motor.  A used MMF-7 is in your price range and is extremely musical sounding.

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #1,394 of 3,585
Quote:
No experience with Blackbird. Original Blue Point was unbelievably precisely made product - not a hint of shoddy craftsmanship that was way beyond the basic aluminium cantilever/elliptical stylus design. If Blackbird is anywhere as precisely made, it must be a great sounding cart with its boron cantilever and good tip. Sumiko is NOT a manufacturer - but their experience in sourcing/specifying carts probably is second to none.

I have one "fallen angel" Sumiko naked MC cart with broken off cantilever and coils/suspension intact - and will try to do a DIY retip first mentioned on vinylengine using - cactus thorn ( ! ). I have a "complimentary" broken NEW never seen vinyl Grado stylus - I really am interested how this will turn out - measurements and the whole jazz.

Off to searching for candidate cactus ...

Thanks.
Don't groan, I use the Blackbird with an Oracle turntable.
wink_face.gif

The Blackbird is definitely a better sounding cartridge than the Blue Point Special I used to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back