TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,146 of 3,585
This is probably a question that will get several different answers.... but at how much would you say the best value for a cartridge is before diminishing returns sets in? I see it at $300+ but you all pay more than that for re-tipping of your fancy shmancy MC carts

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,147 of 3,585
  This is probably a question that will get several different answers.... but at how much would you say the best value for a cartridge is before diminishing returns sets in? I see it at $300+ but you all pay more than that for re-tipping of your fancy shmancy MC carts

Right around $300-500 is what I see as well, but I have little experience in this area. Diminishing returns is also very subjective as someone may find the last 10% to have some wiggle room with that definition.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2,148 of 3,585
lol, yeah I would have a hard time buying anything above a Debut Carbon in terms of turntables

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,149 of 3,585
  lol, yeah I would have a hard time buying anything above a Debut Carbon in terms of turntables

Yeah, I am pretty much at a standstill with the rig in my signature. I still have DIY dreams that may materialize a year or two in the future, just not now.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,150 of 3,585
Dude, your rig(s) are insane. There isn't anything to gain beyond where you are

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #2,152 of 3,585
  Dude, your rig(s) are insane. There isn't anything to gain beyond where you are
Quote:
  +1

Brunk operates on a level I can only dream of, or a second mortgage

Aww, dont make me blush, thanks guys 
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,153 of 3,585

It really is only entry at level at $300. Seriously. And you only get diminishing returns if things are unbalanced . Put a $2000 cart on a $500 table and a $500 phono stage and your return will be little.

Put a $600 Cart on a $1500 table and a $500 phono stage and it will be amazing..

I have had awesome $300, $500 and $800 MC carts. I can find value and beauty in all 3. But I could not put them on a lot of tables without it being a mismatch. But I put them on my concept and they all sing.

I can show you a $200 MM cart (The AT440Mla) that on the right $300 table (or less) sound amazing.

It has to do with table and tonearm matching, mass, dynamic compliance and where the resonance sweet spot is ..there are calculators on vinylengine

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

Take the tonearm mass (usually listed) and plug it in

when the table displays, look at the table and pick the weight of the cart you are thinking to the total, match to the carts dynamic complaince...you then find if they are a match...

Try this
Put in tonearm mass of 11gr
On the table find the column for 6 or 7 grams (the AT440Mla weighs 6.5)
Now go down to 10 for dynamic compliance (which is 10 for that cart)

Is it green at 10hz ? No. so not a great match

and you can see form the table, that any arm with that mass will need a very heavy cart or the cart needs a heavier arm
do the same test but arm mass of 15
Much different result

Now guys this is just a piece of it...

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,154 of 3,585
Yeah...... nah even if I could afford your numbers it wouldn't happen. But if you're happy then that is all that matters

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #2,155 of 3,585
My personal experience is that diminishing returns with phono cartridges starts with Denon DL-103, if you have a TT and phono stage that will work well with it. For a more general purpose cartridge, I'd say it's the Benz Micro ACE.

I've owned and heard a LOT of good cartridges between $400-700. That's a sweet spot.

That's said, my TOTL Benz Micro LP-S is astonishing :D

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #2,156 of 3,585
Skylab...hey, that works for you. That's all that counts...

what phono stage are you using?

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #2,157 of 3,585
While we're on the subject of cartridges, I'm looking to upgrade the cart on my Rega RP3. Is there a reason to pick up an MC over an MM or vice versa? I'm picking up a Pro-Ject Tube Box S, so amplification isn't an issue. What would you recommend in the $500 range?

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #2,158 of 3,585
Skylab...hey, that works for you. That's all that counts...

what phono stage are you using?

My phono stage is an EAR 834 P. Sweet as molasses :D

While we're on the subject of cartridges, I'm looking to upgrade the cart on my Rega RP3. Is there a reason to pick up an MC over an MM or vice versa? I'm picking up a Pro-Ject Tube Box S, so amplification isn't an issue. What would you recommend in the $500 range?

I'm not super familiar with MC cartridges in that price range other than the aforementioned Denon DL-103. I LOVED the Benz ACE, but it's more like $700 now I think.

Lots of good MMs in that price range - Ortofon 2M Bronze and Nagaoka MP-500 are both very good ones I've owned.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,160 of 3,585
Mine is only a few years old. Good value for the money, although they are quite a bit more expensive these days I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back