TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Nov 11, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #3,511 of 3,585
  But of context for my question; 
I recently started using my turntable again after a few years. My turntable (dennon 297) has an inbuilt phono preamp, and I used to just connect it to a Jamo i300 speaker system via an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, which had an amp integrated into the subwoofer. 

What i wanted to do was listen to the turntable with my headphones (bowers and Wilkins p7). However, I do not have have a headphone amp.

I thought I was out of luck until i connected the turntable to the line in(?) port on the back of my desktop. Sure enough, plugging headphones into the headphone jackon the front of my desktop allowed me to listen to the turntable. The computer volume was only 30% at my optimal loudness level. 

My questions are; 
Does anyone else use this set up, and are there any obvious flaws with it? Should i just get an amp instead of routing through my computer? Everywhere I have looked Im seeing that it is pretty much necessary to use an amp when using a turntable. 
I'm thinking it might only be working okay because my headphones are low (40 ohm) impedance? 

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Since your TT does have inbuilt phono preamp, it outputs RIAA equalized line level signal - just what you need for your line input of your desktop computer. So far, so good.

However, computers are notoriously noisy environment for audio and unless yours is specially configured for audio ( very quiet power supply, high quality sound card , actual line in input WITHOUT AtoD and DtoA conversion) , you would most likely be better off with a dedicated headphone amp. It is up to you to decide, besides being compatible with and powerful enough for your headphones,  whether this should also be portable or not, whether it should include DAC or not - because the posibilites are almost countless. From inexpensive ( but quite good ) chinese little amps to something like Astell & Kern devices. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #3,512 of 3,585
  Since your TT does have inbuilt phono preamp, it outputs RIAA equalized line level signal - just what you need for your line input of your desktop computer. So far, so good.

However, computers are notoriously noisy environment for audio and unless yours is specially configured for audio ( very quiet power supply, high quality sound card , actual line in input WITHOUT AtoD and DtoA conversion) , you would most likely be better off with a dedicated headphone amp. It is up to you to decide, besides being compatible with and powerful enough for your headphones,  whether this should also be portable or not, whether it should include DAC or not - because the posibilites are almost countless. From inexpensive ( but quite good ) chinese little amps to something like Astell & Kern devices. 

Thanks so much. 

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to the technicalities of all this stuff, so your post was insightful. 

In regards to your suggestions, I have a follow up question. 

The majority of my listening is not through the turntable, but just normal computer audio (music, games, movies, etc.) Recently I have been looking at getting a relatively budget DAC/amp combo (e.g. the audio engine d1 or fiio e10k), for better sound quality and the potential for driving higher impedance cans. 

However now the turntable has thrown a spanner in the works. Is it possible to buy a budget DAC/amp with a line in component (like that on the back of my computer) which would allow me to listen to the turntable through headphones when I feel like doing that? From my research it seems that the fiio E10k does not have this line in port. 

I guess id just rather not buy a dac/amp for my computer, as well as a separate amp for my turntable. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #3,513 of 3,585
  Thanks so much. 

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to the technicalities of all this stuff, so your post was insightful. 

The majority of my listening is not through the turntable, but just normal computer audio (music, games, movies, etc.) Recently I have been looking at getting a relatively budget DAC/amp combo (e.g. the audio engine d1 or fiio e10k), for better sound quality and the potential for driving higher impedance cans. 

However now the turntable has thrown a spanner in the works. Is it possible to buy a budget DAC/amp with a line in component (like that on the back of my computer) which would allow me to listen to the turntable through headphones when I feel like doing that? From my research it seems that the fiio E10k does not have this line in port. 

I guess id just rather not buy a dac/amp for my computer, as well as a separate amp for my turntable. 

I used to run my headphones to my Aune T1 DAC amp. It has USB as well as RCA inputs I used it to connect to both my computer and my turntable. It also does have an RCA output for powered speakers or external amplifiers, but it only works for USB and not RCA in.

If you're planning to only use it for your headphones, the Aune T1 will be an excellent component.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #3,514 of 3,585
  I used to run my headphones to my Aune T1 DAC amp. It has USB as well as RCA inputs I used it to connect to both my computer and my turntable. It also does have an RCA output for powered speakers or external amplifiers, but it only works for USB and not RCA in.

If you're planning to only use it for your headphones, the Aune T1 will be an excellent component.

My speaker system actually plugs connects by 3.5mm rather than RCA, so if i wanted to listen to the turntable over speakers rather than headphones i think I could just swap out my heaphones for the speakers and it would work fine.  

In regards to the speakers (jamo i300) though, they are peculiar in that they have an D-class amp inbuilt into the subwoofer. This is why I was always able to listen to my turntable with them, without a stand-alone amp.

Would connecting an amp/DAC to these speakers be ill advised? (is double amplification a thing?). 

E.g. If I bought a DAC/amp, the chain would be; turntable or PC --> DAC/amp --> speakers(inbuilt amp). So there would be two amplifiers in play. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #3,515 of 3,585
  Thanks so much. 

It all boils down to your choice. I am eyeing ( because of necessity to play DSD files up to DSD256, for computer at home and Android on the go ) Xduoo XD-05 - as it also has line input, required for dynamic headphone listening to analogue sources, be it turntable or monitoring of live music recording. The lowest price I have found is on Gearbest ( approx $160 with shipping + any import duties, sometimes same/similar price is on ebay ) . There are decent amp only solutions in the http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs  and elsewhere - it all depends on your desires and your wallet.

Nov 11, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,516 of 3,585
It all boils down to your choice. I am eyeing ( because of necessity to play DSD files up to DSD256, for computer at home and Android on the go ) Xduoo XD-05 - as it also has line input, required for dynamic headphone listening to analogue sources, be it turntable or monitoring of live music recording. The lowest price I have found is on Gearbest ( approx $160 with shipping + any import duties, sometimes same/similar price is on ebay ) . There are decent amp only solutions in the http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs  and elsewhere - it all depends on your desires and your wallet.

That dac/amp looks pretty neat. It looks like it has an input switch which would come in handy for a pc via USB and turntable via line in combo.

Price isnt bad either. Do you reckon the sound quality/amp strength would be suitable for high impedance headphones like the seinheisser hd650s? I'm in the market for them but I have never used headphones with such high impedance headphones.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,517 of 3,585
That dac/amp looks pretty neat. It looks like it has an input switch which would come in handy for a pc via USB and turntable via line in combo.

Price isnt bad either. Do you reckon the sound quality/amp strength would be suitable for high impedance headphones like the seinheisser hd650s? I'm in the market for them but I have never used headphones with such high impedance headphones.

Yes, XD-05 is suitable for high impedance cans, as it runs off + - 9V supply, enabling enough voltage swing required.. It also has its own thread here on head-fi - please check it out for partnering with relatively warm sounding HD-650s, as it in itself has similar signature. 

You ( along some 20k other souls...) have just missed Massdrop*s Sennheiser HD-6xx drop - which are nothing but HD-650s with different cable/connectors and different colour - for 200 $. Hopefully, this drop will return...

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #3,518 of 3,585
  My speaker system actually plugs connects by 3.5mm rather than RCA, so if i wanted to listen to the turntable over speakers rather than headphones i think I could just swap out my heaphones for the speakers and it would work fine.  

In regards to the speakers (jamo i300) though, they are peculiar in that they have an D-class amp inbuilt into the subwoofer. This is why I was always able to listen to my turntable with them, without a stand-alone amp.

Would connecting an amp/DAC to these speakers be ill advised? (is double amplification a thing?). 

E.g. If I bought a DAC/amp, the chain would be; turntable or PC --> DAC/amp --> speakers(inbuilt amp). So there would be two amplifiers in play. 

Double amping is generally frowned upon because headphone out can provide more power than required by the amplifier inside the speakers. It wouldn't cause much problems if you take care not to turn up the volume.
Don't worry about the connection type, you can find converter cables to plug into RCA or 1/4" jacks.

I do have several components in my setup - turntable, computer DAC, CD player, so I have an input switcher to switch between the components. 

What you'll need is a DAC amp with pre-out functions. I'm still thinking what is suitable to suggest to you as some solutions might be either expensive or separates.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #3,519 of 3,585

[/quote]
You ( along some 20k other souls...) have just missed Massdrop*s Sennheiser HD-6xx drop - which are nothing but HD-650s with different cable/connectors and different colour - for 200 $. Hopefully, this drop will return...
[/quote]

That drop was what got me thinking about my audio set up again. I decided that if it comes back I'm going to jump on it (but my economically trained brain tells me the price will be more than 200 next time round...)

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #3,520 of 3,585
[/quote]

That drop was what got me thinking about my audio set up again. I decided that if it comes back I'm going to jump on it (but my economically trained brain tells me the price will be more than 200 next time round...)[/quote]

Well, I fear you are right - which means , IF I ever decide to go HD-650 route, I will have to get them here in Europe. Shipping + duties will probably be deal breakers - I have seen price of approx 320 EUR for HD-650, which would have made the point of going Massdrop in case of >200$ price moot.

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #3,521 of 3,585
Can anyone suggest me an international audio store that sells Turntables at good prices with affordable international shipping rates & ships to India?

I need a turntable for causal listening, and seems like Audio technica AT-LP120 will fit my requirements for playing all sizes of vinyls, but in India no stores are there who sells this. Amazon is quoting 198 USD for shipping to India, which is exorbitant considering the price of the equipment is almost close to the shipping itself. I need your help guys.

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,522 of 3,585
Can anyone suggest me an international audio store that sells Turntables at good prices with affordable international shipping rates & ships to India?

I need a turntable for causal listening, and seems like Audio technica AT-LP120 will fit my requirements for playing all sizes of vinyls, but in India no stores are there who sells this. Amazon is quoting 198 USD for shipping to India, which is exorbitant considering the price of the equipment is almost close to the shipping itself. I need your help guys.

i'm more than willing to search the internet for you, but could you please tell me if you want to use the USB functionality?

more often than not it would be better to connect the line out to the line in of your computer, rather than use the USB function.

EDIT: i PM you a link.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #3,523 of 3,585
i'm more than willing to search the internet for you, but could you please tell me if you want to use the USB functionality?

more often than not it would be better to connect the line out to the line in of your computer, rather than use the USB function.

As this will be my first turntable, I don't know what features I will need and should expect. As I plan to use it for a long time, I want something that sounds good, finding spare parts should be fairly easy, which plays all kind & sizes of vinyls without much hassle, and at the same time user-friendly to operate.

I suppose USB connectivity to computer will be nice to get the music converted to digital formats when I want to. An aux out/ Bluetooth for connecting the Turntable to the speakers will be helpful for me, as the speakers I have currently can be driven by Aux or BT modes.

That said, I don't have a very high budget, thats why I have selected the at-lp-120 as it was listed in various websites like Amazon & ebay for a price of $250 or less, but the shipping cost scared me off.

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #3,524 of 3,585

Well, shipping costs may well be the deal breaker in most similar cases.

However, there are sometimes offers for used gear on ebay.de with reasonable worldwide shipping. As German language might well pose a problem, here an english version : http://www.elftronix.com/ebay-de-germany-site-version-in-english-the-easy-guide/     or     https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/ebay-Germany-English-translation/td-p/18616701

I know it is not much of a help, but still better than nothing. 

You can also try to find items sold with 
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/global-shipping.html

This can have more reasonable shipping rates than other methods, but is slow and as it is a multi carrier operation ( basically last minute - whoever in that general direction has free space available, gets to ship your package for at least one leg of the journey to you ), tracking is more than a bit difficult - to say the least. There also can be issues with import duties; ebay GSP charges you the import fees right upon payment for the goods and shipping, stating no more fees will be charged on the delivery - but in some countries,this is not recognized and you will have to pay import duties ( caveat - in some countries, shipping DOES go in to the basis for taxes, etc - and you might even end up paying import tax on ALREADY paid for import tax - again at the destination point. Please check well in advance how is with this in India.

I use ebay GSP only if and when the purchase price of the item and the item itself are "dispensable" - or, if the item is so next-to-impossible to find any other way. The horror stories regarding the shipping damage due to ebay*s partner repackaging the goods ( official excuse is that they have to check for the postal illegal items etc - but even if the original seller did pack the item bullet-proof, that bullet-proof packaging will be replaced by something smaller/lighter in order to save as much cost for shipping as possible - possible damage in transit be damned. Ebay GSP is OK for the seller - but buyer has next to no real world chance of suceeding with a damage claim should the worst happen. Sooo ... - consider yourself warned.  

I find it amusing but not funny how shipping the very same contents halfway around the globe can cost less than shipping the same thing "around three corners of the city". But finding a decent turntable AND shipping to your location that does not cost an arm and a leg will unfortunately take quite some time. Happy hunting !

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #3,525 of 3,585
EDIT: i PM you a link.

Thanks a lot for the help man. Will talk to the seller.

Well, shipping costs may well be the deal breaker in most similar cases.

However, there are sometimes offers for used gear on ebay.de with reasonable worldwide shipping. As German language might well pose a problem, here an english version : http://www.elftronix.com/ebay-de-germany-site-version-in-english-the-easy-guide/     or     https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/ebay-Germany-English-translation/td-p/18616701

I know it is not much of a help, but still better than nothing. 

You can also try to find items sold with 
http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/global-shipping.html

This can have more reasonable shipping rates than other methods, but is slow and as it is a multi carrier operation ( basically last minute - whoever in that general direction has free space available, gets to ship your package for at least one leg of the journey to you ), tracking is more than a bit difficult - to say the least. There also can be issues with import duties; ebay GSP charges you the import fees right upon payment for the goods and shipping, stating no more fees will be charged on the delivery - but in some countries,this is not recognized and you will have to pay import duties ( caveat - in some countries, shipping DOES go in to the basis for taxes, etc - and you might even end up paying import tax on ALREADY paid for import tax - again at the destination point. Please check well in advance how is with this in India.

I use ebay GSP only if and when the purchase price of the item and the item itself are "dispensable" - or, if the item is so next-to-impossible to find any other way. The horror stories regarding the shipping damage due to ebay*s partner repackaging the goods ( official excuse is that they have to check for the postal illegal items etc - but even if the original seller did pack the item bullet-proof, that bullet-proof packaging will be replaced by something smaller/lighter in order to save as much cost for shipping as possible - possible damage in transit be damned. Ebay GSP is OK for the seller - but buyer has next to no real world chance of suceeding with a damage claim should the worst happen. Sooo ... - consider yourself warned.  

I find it amusing but not funny how shipping the very same contents halfway around the globe can cost less than shipping the same thing "around three corners of the city". But finding a decent turntable AND shipping to your location that does not cost an arm and a leg will unfortunately take quite some time. Happy hunting !

Thanks a lot for the help. The problem with European sellers is that the price is around 100 USD more than the lowest price of the new piece at US, and even if I get an used item for a decent price, and something goes wrong I will be in a soup as Audio Technica has only 3 service centres in India (none of them are in my city) and as they don't sell turntable in Indian market I doubt if parts & repair facilities will be available when needed even if I'll be willing to pay for them. So, I'm really confused about the total situation, and looking for some authentic shop for buying these costly equipments that are not available in India, with provisions of affordable International shipping that many other hobbies has. (like I collect scale models of cars, buses & motorbikes, and we have shops like ck-modelcars, carmodelz & modelissimo who have a flat shipping rate of 25 to 30 Euros for international shipping to any country all over the world upto 25kg weight limit & they also provide good discounts on the items time to time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back