TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK YOUR QUESTION HERE!
Sep 13, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,496 of 3,585
Actually, I was planning to get a Zoom H4N Pro just as a stereo recorder for my camera/recorder for binaural recordings. Would that work for a stereo recorder from the Jotunheim's line output as well? It has two 3-pin XLR/6.3 mm combo jacks.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H4N-Digital-Multitrack-Recorder/dp/B01DPOXS8I/

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,497 of 3,585
Actually, I was planning to get a Zoom H4N Pro just as a stereo recorder for my camera/recorder for binaural recordings. Would that work for a stereo recorder from the Jotunheim's line output as well? It has two 3-pin XLR/6.3 mm combo jacks.
https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H4N-Digital-Multitrack-Recorder/dp/B01DPOXS8I/

Yes. Good choice. That's a great way to do it, in my opinion.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,498 of 3,585
Anyone have a recommendation form a cartridge/needle combo for a Stanton ST150. It's a DJ table, but I found a couple tables on Craigslist , for super cheap, but no cartridges. I was hoping for a nice drop in , for the best hi quality sound. I was thinking Ortofon blue's

https://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-2M-Blue-Phono-Cartridge/dp/B001E0CK3K

but I was not sure if it would fit. Any ideas?

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,499 of 3,585
The STR-150 uses a universal headshell and so yes the 2M Blue will fit. I'm not sure what the compliance of the arm is but the 2M series is pretty forgiving. The Blue is a nice cartridge.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,501 of 3,585
Good day everyone.

Currently I am using a TCC TC-750 phono stage with premium AC adaptor (its only an SMPS from this ebay link). If I get this upgraded TeraDak 12V DC power supply, how much improvement can I expect from it?

My turntable is a Telefunken S500 + Syrinx PU2 arm + Audio Technica AT51e cart. Downstream I have Lehmann Black Cube Linear pre + Edifier Studio 7 monitors.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #3,502 of 3,585
  Good day everyone.

Currently I am using a TCC TC-750 phono stage with premium AC adaptor (its only an SMPS from this ebay link). If I get this upgraded TeraDak 12V DC power supply, how much improvement can I expect from it?

My turntable is a Telefunken S500 + Syrinx PU2 arm + Audio Technica AT51e cart. Downstream I have Lehmann Black Cube Linear pre + Edifier Studio 7 monitors.

Probably none, and it may even be detrimental.  The TeraDak is only 1 amp, whereas the TCC premium supply is 1.5.  Both appear to be regulated.  

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #3,503 of 3,585
  Good day everyone.

None, it would even be detrimental, as the highest voltage output  of the TeraLink is 10 V.  TC-750*s main weakness is relatively very low ( but sufficient in practice ) overload point, which is directly proportional to the power supply voltage. Obviously, power supply should not exceed +15V DC - or slightly above.

Officially, TC-750 runs off 15 V DC - but real measured value is approx 12 V DC. In other words, ideal value for the quietest and lowest output impedance ( ie - the best ) power supply one can possibly get - battery. Sealed lead acid battery 12V 4.5 Ah with the lowest output resistance/highest output current is to be preferred - along with some smart car battery charger. Both the capacity and output impedance may well be regarded as vast overkill for the application - yet it is the best you can do for the TCC-750. For the cable between the battery and preamp please use the heaviest gauge coaxial cable that will mate with the biggest DC power jack you can find - prefabricated cables are usually not shielded and gauge tends to be low; use shield for the ground and core for the +12 V DC.  An alternative might be a prefabricated cable with copper shield/snake protector connected to the ground. Always observe the correct polarity.

Just to stay on the safe side, please use battery with different width of its + and - output terminals - repeated accordingly on the cable side. Colour coding is good - different width makes it almost  100% secure against unfortunate mistake in connections after recharging the battery. 

One  can go crazy and design a circuit with two batteries, one connected to the load, one charging - making it round the clock capable power supply - and placing it in a high end enclosure with 1 inch thick front plate. For those with $$$$ to burn .... A 4.5Ah battery, tucked neatly out of the way/sight, will power the TCC-750 for longer than anyone can listen to music in domestic environment, with the time in between the listening more than sufficient to recharge the battery. 

In audiophile terms, it means quieter, blacker background, better dynamic range, better channel separation and better bass in particular. TCC-750 is quite sensitive to wiring; make sure the wiring from your TT ( both RCAs and ground ) is up to the challenge ( if there is any hum with its own power supply, or even RFI pickup, first make sure to eliminate this ) - improvement in power supply can not help with those problems.

For anyone thinking the above is crazy for a $50 or so phono stage - it is not. If yet another 50$ or so is spent for better components within the TCC-750, particularly capacitors ( and, if you really are finicky regarding the accuracy of the RIAA curve , some precision resistors/capacitors ), the result is a very capable MM only phono preamp. Which, for all practical purposes ( save for above average output MM cartridges playing very hot  recorded records - and, obviously, MCs) should be all that anyone might ever need. Only front ends ( TT, arm, cart ) in highish four digit $ and above might warrant the use of something better.

Remember, in entry level ( anything up to say 2K for TT/arm/cart/phono pre ) the money spent on better stylus (say from Ortofon 2M Red to 2M Blue, etc ) will yield much better sound than staying with the lower quality stylus and putting that difference towards better phono preamp. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #3,504 of 3,585
Thank you very much both for your explanations! I've almost jumped the gun because of the very low price. I've also been following several TC 750 modding threads.

@analogsurviver, when you said sealed lead acid battery, do you mean the same ones like you put in motorcycles? They do come in 12V 4.5Ah straight out of the taps, and they're super cheap compared to linear PSUs. And then there's this too. You can use it for both powering and also charging.
Since it came with the correct output voltage and amperage, that means I can technically connect it straight into the DC in on the TC 750 correct? This applies to if I get sealed lead acid battery too I assume?

We've missed you @analogsurviver , you've been away for months.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #3,505 of 3,585
  Thank you very much both for your explanations! I've almost jumped the gun because of the very low price. I've also been following several TC 750 modding threads.

@analogsurviver, when you said sealed lead acid battery, do you mean the same ones like you put in motorcycles? They do come in 12V 4.5Ah straight out of the taps, and they're super cheap compared to linear PSUs. And then there's this too. You can use it for both powering and also charging.
Since it came with the correct output voltage and amperage, that means I can technically connect it straight into the DC in on the TC 750 correct? This applies to if I get sealed lead acid battery too I assume?

We've missed you @analogsurviver , you've been away for months.

Yes, above is the general idea - except you most probably can not use the charger from the link for THE actual powering of the TCC-750. It is sure to have too much ripple and too much noise for that purpose - besides most likely being over 15 V DC. A SLA battery and charger like from the link should not run you more than say $40.

I will be VERY sporadically on head-fi - sorry, no longer have the time required. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #3,506 of 3,585
Yes, above is the general idea - except you most probably can not use the charger from the link for THE actual powering of the TCC-750. It is sure to have too much ripple and too much noise for that purpose - besides most likely being over 15 V DC. A SLA battery and charger like from the link should not run you more than say $40.

I will be VERY sporadically on head-fi - sorry, no longer have the time required. 
I'm concerned about using a coaxial cable as the power cable. Aren't they supposed to have 75 ohms of resistance? Or is the resistance only in the connectors?

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #3,507 of 3,585
If you use RG-59 or RG-6, the characteristic impedance of that type of wire is 75 ohms, but only at the multi-megahertz frequencies they are usually used to carry.  At DC, the impedance would be very close to 0 - especially over a short length.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #3,509 of 3,585
I recently finished building a Bottlehead Eros phono it was a bit of a impulse purchase on my part and I did wonder afterward if it was a smart move but holy smoke is it a impressive sounding bit of kit.

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #3,510 of 3,585
But of context for my question; 
I recently started using my turntable again after a few years. My turntable (dennon 297) has an inbuilt phono preamp, and I used to just connect it to a Jamo i300 speaker system via an RCA to 3.5mm adapter, which had an amp integrated into the subwoofer. 

What i wanted to do was listen to the turntable with my headphones (bowers and Wilkins p7). However, I do not have have a headphone amp.

I thought I was out of luck until i connected the turntable to the line in(?) port on the back of my desktop. Sure enough, plugging headphones into the headphone jackon the front of my desktop allowed me to listen to the turntable. The computer volume was only 30% at my optimal loudness level. 

My questions are; 
Does anyone else use this set up, and are there any obvious flaws with it? Should i just get an amp instead of routing through my computer? Everywhere I have looked Im seeing that it is pretty much necessary to use an amp when using a turntable. 
I'm thinking it might only be working okay because my headphones are low (40 ohm) impedance? 

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back