Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 24, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,084 of 3,655
That was the plan! It's not going to happen though. That's because I've, mistakenly, ordered the wrong switches for Odyssey! Was going to start wiring them up yesterday evening when I noticed it.. It's very frustrating! (for me, @UntilThen is cool fortunately :) So, further delay on Odyssey.
I'll give you a peek on the somewhat completed amp though!

No worries Tomas. It's hard to visualize how Odyssey will turn out when we discuss at the beginning using the silver chassis but I'm more than pleased, seeing it now. The Sowter output transformers blend in with the Hammond mains transformer.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,085 of 3,655
Wow, that looks quite gorgeous.
Very nice! Clean and classy. Nice work.
Thanks guys! :)

No worries Tomas. It's hard to visualize how Odyssey will turn out when we discuss at the beginning using the silver chassis but I'm more than pleased, seeing it now. The Sowter output transformers blend in with the Hammond mains transformer.
Yes! The endbells we got for the Hammond mains tranny is exactly the same as the Sowters. It's a perfect match! I'm glad you like it! :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,086 of 3,655
Tomas, can Odyssey use this KT170 ? :relaxed:

kt170-1 (1).jpg

Jul 26, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #1,093 of 3,655
You found the problem with the 807? Will you try them again on it?

Never found out the real problem. Could be tube but it's a new pair. When I told my supplier about it, he was very apologetic and surprised ! Said he tested the tubes before he send it to me. In return he gave me a new Sylvania 807. I won't use 807 in the amp again because I want to play it safe and not damage it on the 1st day it came back to me. :ksc75smile: Besides I have so many other power tubes so why just obsessed with 807.

The fact Tomas told me to use 807 in Odyssey with 5U4G which has a lower voltage drop may be the clue.

However, I received the 8200 today and I was so eager to try it especially when Jules did not listen to it with headphone. I had inserted very simple current production Psvane 12au7 and EH 6L6GC tubes. Very gingerly I powered it on. Blue power light came on and tubes lighted beautifully. I plug in my He1000se. If it blows, I can kiss my HiFiMan goodbye. :) With no music playing, there was absolute zero noise, even when I turn the volume to max. Jules must have done something right ! He replaced with Mundorf caps, some resistors and of course the FET. Even left me a bag of FETs. Said he had to order a whole bunch. They don't sell single or 2 or threes FETs.

Anyway, I selected my music and press play. The next few seconds was one of astonishment. I have never heard the TU-8200 sound so good. The tone is amazing. I was more than impressed ! So what happened in the interim of 2 to 3 months. I don't really know. Over the next few days, I'll roll in other driver and power tubes and also compared it again to Oblivion and Destiny. I had initially wanted to repair the 8200 and then sell it but I won't now. It even drives speakers amazingly well. Now I really look forward to Odyssey arrival so I can compare it to the 8200 because it uses similar power tubes. :)

IMG_2775.jpg

Jul 26, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,095 of 3,655
I am very glad that you consider these Psvane KT88-T2 so good. I also consider them exceptional. I've had the chance to listen to some Ayon KT88 (manufactured in China for Ayon amplifiers) and also the russian reissue of Gold Lions KT88 and honestly, for me these Psvane are above both others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back