Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #1,051 of 3,725
That's a no on both. They can't handle the voltage and they also have way too high internal resistance. Only use EL11 in the EL11 sockets.

Btw, I had first listen to Odyssey today! I have to say I'm really liking the sound! It sounds big and full! Lots of authority but very smooth as well! Tomorrow I'll make power measurements! :)

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,052 of 3,725
That's a no on both. They can't handle the voltage and they also have way too high internal resistance. Only use EL11 in the EL11 sockets.

Btw, I had first listen to Odyssey today! I have to say I'm really liking the sound! It sounds big and full! Lots of authority but very smooth as well! Tomorrow I'll make power measurements! :)

O M G..... don't worry about EF11... I'm now super excited about Odyssey. Sounds big and full !!!

I'm thinking this
e220fa0937fec1c54e34cc23dedd2076.jpg

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #1,053 of 3,725
I've sold my Siemens C3g with Elise, but I still have a pair of Valvo EL11 and 3 pairs of Philips EL3N. So, why not, I'll think about it. I'll have to break my rule of "no adapter is best adapter" and this requires judgement and decision. :)
I've used 6J7, EL11 and 6Z49P-E / 6Z43P-E in Eternity !
6J7 give same type of sound as 6J5 the strapped pentode as triode euphonic is not present !
6Z49P (6J49) and 43 version gives very good result tube are built for 150V anode but woks at 180V.
EL11 have the pentode flavor adding some harmonics to the sound which is very enjoyable specialy with Eternity as it is not as pronounced as Elise/Euforia.
I will try EL3N when i will build adapter for it !

The EL34 Telefunken I have are like UT pointed, clear with some high extend I can place them between the Tesla EL34 and the EL12spez.

Today I've paired with Russian 6Н6П with same adapter as ECC88 to 6SN7 Mu at 180V is around 14 bias is at -15.5V for 4mA.
I like a lot the small double triode with EL34 on Eternity.. :)

s-l1600.jpg
cover.jpg

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,054 of 3,725
You've bought a box of those russian tubes? This is what I call investment.

I'll keep an eye on a pair of Telefunken EL34 and also fortify my stash of Tesla EL34 because from time to time you can find those at very good prices.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #1,056 of 3,725
You've bought a box of those russian tubes? This is what I call investment.

I'll keep an eye on a pair of Telefunken EL34 and also fortify my stash of Tesla EL34 because from time to time you can find those at very good prices.
I was part of a group buy with local fellows long time ago 100 pieces.... I just kept 6 tubes used at the time on garage hybrid amp ! (the photo is not mine :wink:)
About EL34 tubes you can get good rebranded tube for descent price but not the one pointed by U.T. those one cost like diamond on top of gold !
If you can get EL39 you should really test it !

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #1,057 of 3,725
I was part of a group buy with local fellows long time ago 100 pieces.... I just kept 6 tubes used at the time on garage hybrid amp ! (the photo is not mine :wink:)
About EL34 tubes you can get good rebranded tube for descent price but not the one pointed by U.T. those one cost like diamond on top of gold !
If you can get EL39 you should really test it !
I know that the metal base are above my budget and I do not want to invest too much, because these Tesla EL34 are excellent. Being more harsh sounding and aggressive are somehow compensating the polite and forgiving signature of T1.2. The other pairs of EL34 I have are better technically but do not pair so well with this headphone.

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,058 of 3,725
Ok guys, let's have some fun. I told you a few days ago that I was looking for a light comfortable headphone which complements the Verite Open and can be used during summer. I was also telling you that T1.2 is a little bit off focus on Eternity, and even if I found a decent compromise for it, I felt something was not perfect. But we all know there is no perfect headphone, so we need to carefully choose different types which are complementing each other and obtain all the flavours we need.
So I decided to try the almost unknown Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS. Closed back, 40 Ohms, warm yet detailed signature. A musical and fun headphone.

ATH-AWAS_03.jpg

This headphone has 395g without cable, the headband and earpads are synthetic leather, the headband is light and you barely feel it during summer. The earcups might not be better than the velour pads of T1.2 in terms of comfort but are still decent during high temps. But how is the sound? Well, this is a smooth sounding headphone, a mid centric one similar with T1.2 but not so veiled or sleepy as it was T1.2 on Eternity. It is warm, yet decently detailed, the high frequencies are quite delicate, much less fatiguing than on the Beyers (here I miss a little bit those because I got used with them) and the bass is present, punchy but of less quantity than on T1.2. What to say, a very interesting headphone, which has something special. I'll play with it in the next day and decide if I keep it or return it and try the bigger brother AWKT.

ATH-AWAS_04.jpg

And a good thing is that AWAS sounds quite good on different tubes than the rest of my headphones. So, a little bit of diversity. I am quite enjoying some 6SN7 and KT88.
I know I am an awful describer of what I hear, but this review is excellent and tells exactly what I am missing to describe.

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,059 of 3,725
Continuing my journey with these ATH-AWAS. A very interesting headphone, tuned somehow for acoustic music from an analogue source, or at least this is how I perceive them. Slightly warm and energetic, a very dynamic headphone which is quite good on rock music because it is able to transfer the energy from the music to your ear. Less bass than all my other headphones, but more detail and focus than on T1.2, and being somehow brighter than the Verite, make some acoustic/vocal passages to shine. I paired it with my Forza AudioWorks Noir Mk2 copper cable which I still have from the times I owned the ADX5000 and put some more laid back tubes like Mullard EL34 xf2 with the GEC L63 grey glass. These add a little bit of weight on the signature, everything becoming quite emotional, if I might say. I really like what I hear and I think I'll keep these in my collection. They have something which no other headphone I had the chance to own or listen during the years was able to provide me: a combination of raw energy with intimate detail. Sounds crazy, but usually if a headphone has one, does not have the other or at least this is how I thought it was until I discovered these.

ATH-AWAS_07.jpg

These are definitely not for electronic or modern music, but for jazz or classic blues or rock I would say, if they are paired properly, these might do the trick. I'll try them on the TT2 just for curiosity, but at the moment Eternity keeps me busy. They are not perfect, but always compensate with something else when I feel something is missing. Might be a quality to be able to provide me always something in exchange when I miss something else. I still have 12 days to decide but today they were a winner.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #1,063 of 3,725
Today is a sad day for me, a good day for science. After listening 3 days to the Audio-Technica ATH-AWAS which was very close to what I am looking for, I realized I cannot use it in my usage scenario of listening to 12-14 hours per day to music. And even if this scenario is not common, I think the most important thing is to listen to our music as long as we can, not to own expensive gear which reveals a lot but makes you tired after 5 hours of listening. AWAS was great, compensating exactly what I am missing on my other headphones but somehow not usable on my scenario. So today I returned them and decided to try also the Dan Clark Audio Ether 2, which after the recommendation of @UntilThen became very interesting for me. I read several reviews and I want to try it. I found a used but good condition pair in Europe and bought it, after a few weeks it will arrive here and I will be able to try Eternity with some very low impedance headphones, like the 16 Ohms Ether 2. Let's see what this will bring to the table.

Currently listening to something nobody ever listened on head-fi:

PS. In the meantime I wait to try some 6CA7. Won some very good auctions on Ebay and I'll soon try some. Good times ahead guys.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #1,064 of 3,725
So today I returned them and decided to try also the Dan Clark Audio Ether 2

I hope you like it. :) It's Dan Clarke's top model. Light and airy in both weight and tone. Should be super comfy. I only had one audition of it with Ampandsound Encore. I remember holding it and thinking to myself that it is very light and well made.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,065 of 3,725
I hope you like it. :) It's Dan Clarke's top model. Light and airy in both weight and tone. Should be super comfy. I only had one audition of it with Ampandsound Encore. I remember holding it and thinking to myself that it is very light and well made.
I have no idea if I'll like it but it is interesting enough to try it. If not, I'll assume 10% loss to sell them and I will remain with a very nice experience, hopefully. AWAS was great, much more than what I was expecting from a close back, but still I was not convinced to keep them. I am not a headphone roller, I just want to try some comfy headphones because I need something for the summer and long listening sessions and the T1.2 are in that area but their time is limited. The model is discontinued and my pair is old and the headband and earpads are not in perfect shape, I'll replace them but I realize that the headphone has to go some time in the future. So I look for a comfortable alternative which will be easy to wear and easy to listen on Eternity in times when Verite Open is too heavy. Verite Open will remain for me the "reference" headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back