Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,066 of 3,777
The DCA Ether 2 is 293 grams while my LCD4 is 708 grams. Just to give you an idea of the weight difference. One reviewer sums it well with a description of 'open, transparent and spacious'. I'm really intrigued by it because it's very different to what I've experience before. I live with Verite LTD Open for more than a year so I know that signature very well and I sold the LCD3 because of it. I know now never to dismiss a headphone after a year because your preference can change, especially when you change your gear.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #1,067 of 3,777
I fully agree. This is the reason I decided to try the Ether 2 because it is incredible light, but still has some very nice comments and reviews, it is something I have to try. If I'll like it I will be able to say in around a month. I will keep Verite Open for my main listening sessions, I was able to get an Empyrean at a good price but I do not really think I need it, what I need is a light headphone and Ether 2 might do the trick. At the moment for 3 weeks I use T1.2 and it is quite OK for what I need.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,068 of 3,777
My headphone quota is 2 or max 3. I had He1000se only January of this year and LCD4 is only 3 months ago. The same with my 300b amp. I'm still enjoying them you could say. In fact, I'm very content at this stage but I know that I'm already tempted with the Abyss 1266 TC, which I will be getting a home demo pair once lockdown is lifted. Now the Abyss is not a headphone that you want to wear for 12 to 16 hours. :) Neither is the LCD4.

In fact I could not wear a headphone for more than 8 hours now. 6 hours is probably max but who knows when Odyssey comes. :)

However I also want to try Susvara with Odyssey and I cannot find a home demo pair. :) I might have to bring Odyssey to Minidisc. Nah...no way I will carry that amp all over. I expect it to be at least 20 kgs.

Jul 23, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,069 of 3,777
I know, my usage scenario is a little bit strange. I work in the software industry and I have some quite long listening sessions. While I am in some meetings I keep my amplifiers on, but usually at least 6 hours I get per day, sometimes much more. It is an advantage or a disadvantage, I have no idea, I just know I need a comfortable pair of headphones to use all day long.
I have 2 pairs of headphones at this time: T1.2 which I own for many years (my second pair actually) and Verite Open which I own for around 1 year. T1.2 will have to go in the near future, so I want to replace it with something light, yet detailed, to be able to wear all day long and during summer when temps are high. With Verite Open I was sweating during summer under the leather headband. I need something lighter, as an alternative. Plan is to own only 2 headphones in the near future.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,070 of 3,777
Back to music, after I listened to the latest Necrophobic album and I remembered their show at Wacken 2019 which was the latest open air I have attended I have decided to go back to older stuff.

Honestly these guys were incredible, a lot of energy and a quite decent show. I wonder what are eating these guys in Sweden to be able to provide this energy after all these years.

Now back to more older stuff, Children of the Sea:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,071 of 3,777
My contribution for this morning. I was searching for 'Imagine' because that's what was played at the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics. Nothing was on Youtube yet but there's Emmanuel singing with Coldplay instead. I was listening with LCD4 powered by Destiny and I'm sure John Lennon would have approved.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #1,072 of 3,777
My contribution for this morning. I was searching for 'Imagine' because that's what was played at the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics. Nothing was on Youtube yet but there's Emmanuel singing with Coldplay instead. I was listening with LCD4 powered by Destiny and I'm sure John Lennon would have approved.

I quite like your song and this reminds me about my trip to Prague. Prague is a beautiful city which has a John Lennon Pub.

Praga day 3 022.JPG

Praga day 3 029.JPG

If you visit Prague, try it, quite nice. :)

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #1,074 of 3,777
What the... a John Lennon pub. He would have been proud ! If I could one day visit Prague.
The "lockers wall" from the first picture is a bridge, if I remember correctly, which leads to the pub. Those are the lovers markings, many lovers in Prague it seems or at least many who travelled there. The pub is nice, it has the "Yellow Submarine" in several places, I had some snacks and a few beers there, only Beatles music, a nice place.

Jul 23, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,075 of 3,777
And since I've started to listen to Black Sabbath with Dio I cannot miss the Sign of the Southern Cross:

I remember seeing Dio in 2009 before his passing. I cannot say how much I've felt it.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #1,078 of 3,777
OctavianH - you are a true lover of music yourself! I can see your lockers all over youtube. And what could be more appropriate than a hard rocking amp from Sweden? Just Imagine!

Yeah I can't keep up with his metal heads ! Now Odyssey will be the hard rocking amp from Sweden. :)

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,080 of 3,777
Ah, this weekend Odyssey will be finished. So we will have pictures. :D
That was the plan! It's not going to happen though. That's because I've, mistakenly, ordered the wrong switches for Odyssey! Was going to start wiring them up yesterday evening when I noticed it.. It's very frustrating! (for me, @UntilThen is cool fortunately :) So, further delay on Odyssey.
I'll give you a peek on the somewhat completed amp though!

IMG_20210724_092225.jpg

IMG_20210724_092240.jpg

IMG_20210724_092402.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back