Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,021 of 3,858
HD650 mod. :) I had a HD650 mod but I sold it to a friend cheap because I did not like the DIY look from the outside. :) Now I have an original HD650, which still surprise me time and again when I use Oblivion and Destiny to drive it. Mind you this original HD650 sounded awesome driven from my previous behemoth Sansui 907mr.

I have to try that Mega Bass album.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,023 of 3,858
There are some nice headphones that I regret selling off. Such as my Eikon and Atticus and Verite Open. There will be a ZMF headphone later but I'm eyeing a Susvara or Abyss TC first.

I had a short audition of Aeolus and Auteur and thought they sounded great. I like Empyrean too.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #1,024 of 3,858
I am listening to T1.2 for 3 weeks since here we have more than 30C outside, in my room around 27C and I cannot use Verite Open anymore for my long listening sessions (keep in mind I use Eternity while I work and I work sometimes 12 hours/day).
I am looking for a light headphone with a warm/detailed tone and started to read this incredible review. I might give a try to the AWAS, sooner or later. I do not know other light headphone which would sound as I expect. Any recommendations? (<400g if possible and light headband).

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #1,025 of 3,858
I wouldn't wear a headphone for 12 hours a day. :) That's why I have speakers.

You really need to try the headphones for yourself with your own setup. First hand experience is better than any reviews because we're all unique human beings.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,026 of 3,858
I received great news for Odyssey. Tomas has received the Sowter transformers. I thought the joy of waiting for a new tube amp has worn off on me but I've never been more excited in all the years of this hobby.

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #1,027 of 3,858
I know, each of us has different usage scenarios. I listen to my headphones sometimes 16 hours per day and this is why comfort of a headphone is mandatory to me. For example today I started around 8AM and now it is 8:30PM, Eternity is still on near me. When I listen to music while working or studying on specific topics I am interested, I can concentrate better. I have some near field monitors on my desk but I never use them, maybe once per month, I think to reounce on them and buy a 49" ultrawide monitor instead like for example this one. It would be much more useful to me than these speakers which are decent (Adam Audio A5X).

Jul 13, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,028 of 3,858
Oh yeah a 49" monitor is on my Christmas wish list even though I have the 34" Acer predator now. I can keep one in Sydney and the other in Canberra.

Light and comfortable headphones I've tried are Meze Empyrean and Dan Clarke Ether 2. Both very light and comfortable. Empyrean probably more to your taste of warm and relaxing whereas the Ether 2 is light in weight and tone but it's very clear though.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,031 of 3,858
Some late night listening session, at least now the sun took a break and allowed me to have less than 27C. I know I told this several times, but look guys what Meteoblue reserves me, and I have a tube amp near:

1626203798807.png

I know others live in Australia but for me the Global Warming is real, 20 years ago we had 25C during Summer. And I have this near me on for 14 hours already:

lights.jpg

But as wise men said, we do what we have to do. During evening when my work is done I can enjoy some live recordings and from time to time I let youtube enlighten me. For example today I watched this incredible Blind Guardian show from 2016. I was always a huge fan of the 90s scene of german speed/power/thrash bands, so the song Imaginations from the Other Side was greatly appreciated. And yes, Hansi is incredible on vocals but I also like that drummer. That guy is good.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,032 of 3,858
I start to regret that I have sold my HD600 and HD650. Well, you cannot keep every headphone you buy.
Well this is what i do.... but I'm not a compulsive buyer :wink:
The HD650 need to be very well driven to give it's best... The mod i have is a light one, it was done by a friend. He just remove some foam, cut some plastic back to the driver and add some damping material like used for car sound system in the cup.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #1,033 of 3,858
Those Ether 2 are interesting, but 16 Ohm are OK for UltraSonic amps?

I don't see why Ultrasonic amps cannot handle low impedance headphones. Do you have an impedance switch on your Eternity?

I have an impedance switch on Oblivion and my He1000se (35 ohms) and LCD-X (20 ohms) runs perfectly on it.

I was listening to the Ether 2 on AmpandSound Encore. Was great there.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,034 of 3,858
Well this is what i do.... but I'm not a compulsive buyer :wink:
The HD650 need to be very well driven to give it's best... The mod i have is a light one, it was done by a friend. He just remove some foam, cut some plastic back to the driver and add some damping material like used for car sound system in the cup.

Yup that's the mod I did to mine. It became clearer and the bass tightens up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back