Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 1, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #2,417 of 3,858
That's a bad whiskey. Almost synthetic. Solid state kind of whiskey :scream:

You should try whisky instead, single malt.
Ha! Agreed! Though Chivas Regal is technically a whisky (not whiskey) and the Chivas Regal Royal Salute 21 is actually excellent even though a blend.

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2,420 of 3,858
How understand that tube is near dead? my one tube has crackling and im hear big noise in headphone one side when touching with fingers tube body. this bad contacts or tube was dropped? other side tube works silent,no craclings and no any sound when toutchint it with fingers. also,bad tube has stating noisy or harmonic sounds when finger touch it. what this mean?

Apr 3, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #2,421 of 3,858
After around 40hrs, the weaker RCA 807 went ahead of the stronger one with 1mA. So now they are again with 1mA between, just reversed. Funny, I'll not spend more time with this, just remind that these newer production RCA 807 are slower starting to reach maturity. Well, good to know. The one measuring stronger remained exactly the same while the weaker one gained 2mA in 3 days. And this never happened with the older ones I have here.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #2,422 of 3,858
How understand that tube is near dead? my one tube has crackling and im hear big noise in headphone one side when touching with fingers tube body. this bad contacts or tube was dropped? other side tube works silent,no craclings and no any sound when toutchint it with fingers. also,bad tube has stating noisy or harmonic sounds when finger touch it. what this mean?
I think what you describe is that the tube is microphonic. I have several pieces doing like that and they work for quite some years. I do not think the tube will die. You can see here some similar description.

Apr 4, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #2,424 of 3,858
I think what you describe is that the tube is microphonic. I have several pieces doing like that and they work for quite some years. I do not think the tube will die. You can see here some similar description.
thanks,man, im tried clean contacts ,but no helps. one lamp is microphonic as ytou said,but trhis lamp has big noise with time to time craclings sound. so,i need buy another tube for use normally. it is faulty lamp i think.

Have you thorougly cleaned the pins with emery board or some such? It could be due to bad contact.

What happens if you switch the tubes?
when switch places tube then bad microphonic sound go to another headphone side. good cleaned contacts. it os faulty tube i think

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #2,425 of 3,858
After weeks of listening to ECC40 in different configurations I realized how good these are for more sterile and detailed outputs to make them sound more lively while keeping their detail retrieval and dynamics. So a normal step was to switch to GEC KT88. I always considered these a little bit dry and synthetic sounding for my taste, but with ECC40 things get more and more towards my liking. Eindhoven one, preferred with RCA 807 to reduce a little bit that bass attack, keeps the signature in a decently neutral area, but still removes the dryness. I expect Hamburg and Sittard to go more towards a warmer and relaxed sound which might be even better than what I hear now. Good hours ahead.

ECC40_KT88.jpg

And a detail of these little "monsters" everyone craves about.

1680880805361.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #2,427 of 3,858
I did not had a reason to change anything. All sounds quite nice and rolling is paused.

Eternity2023_01.jpg

But in the meantime I started to read at the morning coffee. For example this. After experimentation it makes sense to understand more. The guy seems to sell some DIY kits here but anyway, very interesting. Luckily for me I already knew 90% of what is mentioned.

Next week is Eternity's 2 years annyversary, so who knows, maybe the 3rd year will be dedicated to learning to be able to repair it if needed. It seems in the current circumstances I will be the one to do it to prolongue its life.

Eternity2023_02.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #2,428 of 3,858
Nice links. Have not seen his site before.

Since I got the 6bg6 tubes I have been playing with them in my other amp. I’ll switch back to my Odyssey soon.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #2,429 of 3,858
Back to Odyssey! I have switched out the Cossor 6c5g in my preamp for Marconi b36. Using my trusty 60vta outputs I decided to try the Brimar 13d1 input tubes again. I wasn't impressed by that combo using the Cossor in the preamp but now the system sings. This is... I dunno, transparently warm? I can hear big differences between tracks, like mixes are being opened up for me. At the same time, voices are just a bit juiced, especially male ones.

Had tried using JAN National Union 12j5gt in the input previously. Very mid forward but smooth. Sadly the bass was MIA. Tube combos are crazy, the preamp is just one more layer to mess with.

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #2,430 of 3,858
Back to Odyssey! I have switched out the Cossor 6c5g in my preamp for Marconi b36. Using my trusty 60vta outputs I decided to try the Brimar 13d1 input tubes again. I wasn't impressed by that combo using the Cossor in the preamp but now the system sings. This is... I dunno, transparently warm? I can hear big differences between tracks, like mixes are being opened up for me. At the same time, voices are just a bit juiced, especially male ones.

Had tried using JAN National Union 12j5gt in the input previously. Very mid forward but smooth. Sadly the bass was MIA. Tube combos are crazy, the preamp is just one more layer to mess with.

Were these the black glass NU 12J5GT's that lacked bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back