Tube Amp for K701/DT880 under $800
Nov 2, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ounkchicago

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, this is a criteria-based tube amp recommendation thread. Yes, I've done the searches, and I would like to solicit ADDITIONAL opinions. No need to post links to old posts, we can all read those just fine.

My two cans of choice are the AKG K701 and the Beyerdynamic DT880-250 (2003 version). I currently run them through a Creek OBH-21SE solid-state desktop amp ($450 MSRP) and I am very happy with the results. Now, I want to find a tube amp under $800 that would make these two cans sing.

Requirements:
  1. must be a tube amp or a hybrid tube amp
  2. sounds more tube-like, warm, and liquid. (I am not looking for an amp with the "wire plus gain" sound, since my Creek already does that quite well)
  3. must be able to be used as a preamp

Here is my list so far that I am building. If you have any comments, corrections, or have additional suggestions, I would welcome your opinions. Thanks in advance for your helpful advice. Of course, price point is going to be hard to get exactly right because of optional upgrades and power supply options. Let's just say that if there is a configuration that you would recommend under $800, you can list it here, with the caveat that spending more may pay off in a big way.

List of Tube Amps that can be purchased for under $800
  1. Headroom Millet Desktop Hybrid Amp ($748 for Home module, $399 extra for upgraded power supply)
  2. Cayin HA-1A ($800)
  3. Mapletree Ear+ HD or HD2 ($700-$800)
  4. Woo Audio WA3 ($470)
  5. Darkvoice 332 ($399 plus overseas shipping)
  6. Little Dot MKIV ($299, $399 for SE version, plus overseas shipping)

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 34
i would like to vote for the Little Dot MKIV SE, i personally do not own this amp, i bought the MKIII, but i can tell you that sound coming from these amps should be warm and liquid, with huge soundstage and exellent details. they could also be used as a preamp. i dont want tor repeat what many others has already said about the Little Dots, im completly sold to the Little Dot line up, their customer service is second to none, dealing with them makes you feel like you are their only customer in the world. do some search or simply visit their forum will show you all you need to know about this amp. their forum is here: http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...view.asp?fid=3
just to get you started, here is one of the reviews on the MKIV SE: http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...sts=16&start=1

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 34
arterius2: I noticed that you are using the K701 with the LD MKIII. You already mentioned that you like the warmth, liquidity, soundstage, and details.

What about bass response? I noticed that the K701's bass depends heavily on source and amplifier. Does the LD MKIII provide good bass (with your source)?

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 34
My Darkvoice 337 is shipping today so by next Fri. I should have it.

I have the 701's so I will let you know what I think.

Even if you upgrade the tubes it would be in your budget.

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 34
I've used my Cayin with the K701 and the 2006 DT880 while I owned that headphone. It's a great pairing for both - plenty powerful, with a nice low bass punch and warm mids. It's not overly warm though, definitely not stereotypically "tubey" sounding, but enough that it does sound like a tube amp. And you can buy mine used!
tongue.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arterius2: I noticed that you are using the K701 with the LD MKIII. You already mentioned that you like the warmth, liquidity, soundstage, and details.

What about bass response? I noticed that the K701's bass depends heavily on source and amplifier. Does the LD MKIII provide good bass (with your source)?

bass on k701 is tight and solid, with tons of depth. what amazed me was that i can feel it down to the 10hz range, it dont really hear it but i can feel the vibration emanating from the headphone going through your body. i believe you will be truly satified with this setup.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 34
Don't forget about the Mapletree Ear+ HD or HD2, which runs about $700. Personally, I have no idea how it sounds with the cans you are interested in, but at least it is additional food for thought.

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 34
I have the LD MKIV SE, listen to classical music, and think the MKIV makes some phones sound better than they really are. For instance I'm listening to Sennheiser MX400 ($4.50) right now (Pletnov plays Scarlatti) because I'm curious how they compare to Yuin PK2s ($69). I discover I like the MX400s better and the MKIV SE allows me to hear this difference. The MKIV SE also makes Alessandro MS1s sound like they're almost in the same league (except for soundstage and 3D layering) as my K701s and HD600s or at least it makes the MK1s sound good enough so I enjoy them for being the exciting and fun phones they are without needing to scratch the $300 itch just yet for MS2s. I naively think these improvements may be because the MKIV SE controls the current so well it makes even mediocre phones sound better.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 34
I'd have to agree with wae5. I have the MKIVse and it truely makes every headphone I have sound better than it should. On the question of bass, well, the MKIVse provides excellent bass, way down toward the end of the spectrum. Oh, and I listen to a lot of Rock, Metal and Jazz. When I drive my HD-650's with the MKIVse, it is like it transforms them into ROCK headphones!! My Favorite!
wink.gif

Good luck on your hunt!!

Dave McLaughlin

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 34
How about a Singlepower? I'm not certain, as prices are not listed on their website, but the MPX3 might be in your price range, really great amp too.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a Singlepower? I'm not certain, as prices are not listed on their website, but the MPX3 might be in your price range, really great amp too.

The ones I've checked either don't have a pre-amp out or are outside the price range. If you know one that has a pre-amp out for under $800 base, please do let me know.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ounkchicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ones I've checked either don't have a pre-amp out or are outside the price range. If you know one that has a pre-amp out for under $800 base, please do let me know.

You are looking in that financial ball park. They turn up quite frequently on the for sale board as people upgrade. Patience. If one does not turn up with preamp I would think you could try to get the parts from Mikhail, with him understanding you don't want to wait many months. It's worth a try and there are people around who are more than competant enough to add the components very neatly without compromising the value of the amp. It is a rather simple, though somewhat time consuming procedure. It's something else to consider anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back