TTVJ Portable (Slim) / ALO Rx?
Mar 12, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #31 of 62
I just received my slim and I found the sound extraordinary. I could not believe it was not burned in. I called Todd and he told me it wasn't even charged. I do not have alot of time to tell all but this amp is the leader of my pack which include RSA71a, Xin SM4 maxed with double buffers, iQube, Zenhead, Xin mini4, Xin reference, Xin micro, HeadRoom portable micro, and yes TTVJ tube. It is the smoothest, most transparent, fastest amp I have heard to date. The whole package is a winner. I called Todd to buy another and he said get in line I am sold out for a while. It does have a similar signature to the tube but has the ability to do things that no other portable can do. The dc to dc coupling is capable of creating a extremely smooth sound amplification. I think this is the American Idol of portable headphone amplification. I predict there will be allot of newly bought and old favorites amps hitting the market because once you own this one you will most likely sell what you got. Dog let me put it this way. You will not see any of these being resold in a week or a month because I lost interest in portable music or for any other lame reason just to dump it. This is a winner. The line starts here because I have a 3 week wait to get my second one. My hat is off to Todd and who ever the guy is that designed this work of art. The Satellite Guy

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #32 of 62
I could not have said it better, after hearing it briefly in the SF bay area meet with my iMod, I was pretty sure that this is the amp to get. Hands down.

topping the SR-71a? wow that's a big statement

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by waynema /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, just got it from the mail to replace my RSA Shadow. what a wonderful sounding amp.

Lee, do you use 0 gain with JH13?

I tried 10, but it was too loud, switched it to zero. Also, as TheSateliteGuy says, it is an outstanding amp, and I could see it could beat the SR71. It has a different characteristic of sound as opposed to RSA amps, more tube like and less dark. I ordered mine last Saturday and got it 4 days later, so I bet I was one of the last ones o get it. Boy am I glad.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSatelliteGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my slim and I found the sound extraordinary. I could not believe it was not burned in. I called Todd and he told me it wasn't even charged. I do not have alot of time to tell all but this amp is the leader of my pack which include RSA71a, Xin SM4 maxed with double buffers, iQube, Zenhead, Xin mini4, Xin reference, Xin micro, HeadRoom portable micro, and yes TTVJ tube. It is the smoothest, most transparent, fastest amp I have heard to date. The whole package is a winner. I called Todd to buy another and he said get in line I am sold out for a while. It does have a similar signature to the tube but has the ability to do things that no other portable can do. The dc to dc coupling is capable of creating a extremely smooth sound amplification. I think this is the American Idol of portable headphone amplification. I predict there will be allot of newly bought and old favorites amps hitting the market because once you own this one you will most likely sell what you got. Dog let me put it this way. You will not see any of these being resold in a week or a month because I lost interest in portable music or for any other lame reason just to dump it. This is a winner. The line starts here because I have a 3 week wait to get my second one. My hat is off to Todd and who ever the guy is that designed this work of art. The Satellite Guy

amen
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by waynema /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not have said it better, after hearing it briefly in the SF bay area meet with my iMod, I was pretty sure that this is the amp to get. Hands down.

topping the SR-71a? wow that's a big statement

There are synergies between amps and cables and cans. Better is a difficult thing to say with any definiteness. Each of my amps offer slightly different characteristics which benefit shine in different arenas. My Slim is not even burned in and I hear what is coming thru it as smoother and cleaner. The sounds do not seem to fight for the space. They seem to compliment each other and share the space.
I can hear what the dc to dc coupling does to sound improvement. Just this feautre can raise your awareness of hearing to a point that it might sound a bit off when it is not there. I feel very strongly that the volume wheel, the attenuator steps, on off switch, led light are very very cool and are somewhat of a state in the art quantum leap on portable amps. The fact that he was able to position the interior components to keep them from causing degradation to each other is a genius at work.
What I am saying right now is simply this. If I could only keep one of my current amps and had to sell all others I would keep the JunkMan's Slim, hands down. the features and benefits, size, sound quality, battery, design are very very impressive. I really like the way the color changes when you turn the volume.
I hear differently with both of my ears. One has a bit of loss. So the only way to correct this is run one amp for the left and one for the right ear. This way I maintain centered balance and sound stage. When I compare two amps I am listening to both at the same time. Portable mono block. I have had custom cable makers create mono cables for me and I have right signal in one amp and left in the other. The sound is a noticeable cleaner because when two signals are not in one amp so there no is counteracting forces that lower sound quality. If you want to try this you can go to Hosa cable company and buy these stereo to mono tip and ring for 5 dollars each. They are not to bad but a bit bright. You will be amazed at how much cleaner the sound is. That is why I want a second Slim. I own several dual amp set ups. Null audio has made me cables like this in Piccolo and Lune. A pair of Lunes will run about $150 us. TheSatelliteGuy

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSatelliteGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Null audio has made me cables like this in Piccolo and Lune. A pair of Lunes will run about $150 us. TheSatelliteGuy

wow dual amp setups and all, sounds really cool. im sorry, but if you could please explain what is dc to dc coupling in a layman's terms haha
biggrin.gif

nice!
youve tried null audio's lune cables! how do they fair?

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #38 of 62
I"m listening to the Alo Rx right now, and my only complaints are the ergonomics, some minor details about construction, the succeptibility to RF interference, and the size of the steps between volume levels at the low end. The sound quality is VERY good (with the JH13s), and it would be a very easy amp to live with.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I"m listening to the Alo Rx right now, and my only complaints are the ergonomics, some minor details about construction, the succeptibility to RF interference, and the size of the steps between volume levels at the low end. The sound quality is VERY good (with the JH13s), and it would be a very easy amp to live with.

I have not heard the RX but EMF paper from Stillpoints will block RF interference. If you use the sticky back it will not come off easily. Just wrap it around the amp or cut a piece to fit between the two devices. It may be static electricity that can be removed with a ionoclast fron mapletree. I personally saw to many hit the resale market way to soon to invest my money until I find out more. The complaints you indicated are not minor by my standards. The Slim is wonderful. Best regards TheSatelliteGuy

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #40 of 62
The ALO is my favorite of the portable amps, I do think the RF issue is not a small one with iphone listeners though. I rate the pico slim as the best built amp with arguably the best volume implementation of the portables. The TTVJ is right there with the ALO to my ears the ALO has a slight edge but the build is better and the volume is implemented better on the TTVJ. I thought the low end response was better on the ALO and the stage in both width and depth was better but not by a large margin.

All and all you have to weight which areas are most important to you as the owner.

Sound Quality
Build Quality/Ergonomics
RF interference
Form Factor

I place sound above all else and am willing to trade of other aspects for this. If I listened often with the iphone on and active maybe my preference would change.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ALO is my favorite of the portable amps, I do think the RF issue is not a small one with iphone listeners though. I rate the pico slim as the best built amp with arguably the best volume implementation of the portables. The TTVJ is right there with the ALO to my ears the ALO has a slight edge but the build is better and the volume is implemented better on the TTVJ. I thought the low end response was better on the ALO and the stage in both width and depth was better but not by a large margin.

All and all you have to weight which areas are most important to you as the owner.

Sound Quality
Build Quality/Ergonomics
RF interference
Form Factor

I place sound above all else and am willing to trade of other aspects for this. If I listened often with the iphone on and active maybe my preference would change.

Just on SQ alone which would you say be best to give a more natural balanced sound paired with JH13's as i am soon to get a pair followed by an amp to pair with it. I am also contemplating the JH16's if i get to hear the demo pair when i go to my JHA dealer here in the UK next week.

Have heard the JH13's are well balanced in their delivery and want an amp that can compliment that by not discolouring the sound to much from the source (which currently will be a Sony X walkman)

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #42 of 62
I think these amps are too close on technical merit for there to be an easy better/worse. It's going to come down to personal preference as to what tone you like, and synergy with your headphones.

I owned the Rx for a short time, and auditioned the TTVJ slim, and from that they seem pretty different tonally. The Rx sounded very solid state, very flat, detailed, sterile, if a bit cold. And the slim sounded more tube like, with some warmth added in.

Rx seemed more analytical, and the TTVJ slim more ..."soulful"?

edit: when I say slim, I mean the TTVJ slim. I'll add that above...

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #43 of 62
oddly I found the Rx the better listen and I'd rate the current crop SQ wise as
1) ALO Rx
2) TTVJ
3) Pico Slim

all three are very good sounding though and the quality of sound is very close

from an overall perspective weighing SQ/Build/Formfactor/RF interference
1) Pico Slim
2)TTVJ
3)ALO Rx

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think these amps are too close on technical merit for there to be an easy better/worse. It's going to come down to personal preference as to what tone you like, and synergy with your headphones.

I owned the Rx for a short time, and auditioned the slim, and from that they seem pretty different tonally. The Rx sounded very solid state, very flat, detailed, sterile, if a bit cold. And the slim sounded more tube like, with some warmth added in.

Rx seemed more analytical, and the slim more ..."soulful"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oddly I found the Rx the better listen and I'd rate the current crop SQ wise as
1) ALO Rx
2) TTVJ
3) Pico Slim

all three are very good sounding though and the quality of sound is very close

from an overall perspective weighing SQ/Build/Formfactor/RF interference
1) Pico Slim
2)TTVJ
3)ALO Rx

So it is going to be an impossible task then!
icon10.gif

Which ever way i do go with any of them i would be very happy no doubt, but i am in the unfortunate situation i will not get to demo any of these amps so will have to go by the old and tried method on here of data collating from reading the holy grail scriptures on here from other disciples and wiser sages on here like yourself's and make an informed decision.
wink_face.gif

Have heard also the P51 has a good synergy with the 13's, not sure how they fit in with those three mentioned above at all?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it is going to be an impossible task then!
icon10.gif

Which ever way i do go with any of them i would be very happy no doubt, but i am in the unfortunate situation i will not get to demo any of these amps so will have to go by the old and tried method on here of data collating from reading the holy grail scriptures on here from other disciples and wiser sages on here like yourself's and make an informed decision.
wink_face.gif

Have heard also the P51 has a good synergy with the 13's, not sure how they fit in with those three mentioned above at all?

Why don't you get a used one then? There hasn't been a single TTVJ for sale used, but the Rx comes up for sale pretty often, and JP says it's his favorite amp for you specific phones. Then if it's not to your liking, you won't loose anything and you can get a TTVJ new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back