TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid = Awesome
Feb 5, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An excellent road amp. imo

A horrible road amp, imo.

Most people, including myself, find this amp to "ping" with the slightest movement or contact. I found the pinging even when stationary to be too intrusive. Hiss wasn't so much an issue.

There's an entire thread from the loaner program with people's posted impressions.

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #17 of 77
I like the idea behind this amp - but how robust are they (esp. the valves) when used as a portable?

Also, most comments on this thread relate to how well it works with full size cans, what is the performance like with IEM's (ER-4S & SE 530's in particular) is there a lot of back ground hiss?

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most people, including myself, find this amp to "ping" with the slightest movement or contact. I found the pinging even when stationary to be too intrusive.

There's an entire thread from the loaner program with people's posted impressions.

Both of mine don't ping when stationary, they only do so if I put them down on a hard surface or unplug the HP.

Can you post the link of the loaner program?

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 77
Feb 5, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 77
No - mine doesn't ping or ring either. Those reports seem to be grossly exaggerated out of context. I run and jog with mine, and carry it in my motorcycle rucksack and it is fine. Once in 1 week only and that was the only ping ring. If you use a shock absorbent bag, like a little camera bag or neoprene case, it insulates the body of the amplifier from being cosmetically scratched and any sound problems. For anyone else who wants to use a tube amp whilst undertaking high-speed contortion gymnastics, the TTVJ Millett's portable probably won't cut it.

Background hiss is negligiible on good modern recordings. For example - the Quatuor Ebéne's versions of the Debussy and Fauré's string quartets are poles apart in terms of quiet passages - neither reveal any hissing, however the recording is sublime, in one of the best locations in France with modern digital recording. In contrast, Rostropovich's 1957 recording of Prokofiev and Myaskovsky's Cello Concertos', reveal high hiss levels in the first 10 bars of music. However this is also present in other amp systems I use; whether the hiss is more noticeable than these is hard to say. Generally for modern (post 1970) music, it's inconsequential.

Particularly inconsequential, against the brilliance of this littlle amplifier's sonority. It is a niche portable amplifier though: maybe the mainstream porty amp users just don't get it?
confused.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #21 of 77
When I tried it, there was definitely some ringing noise when I put it in my shirt's pocket while walking.

Nevertheless, I think this amp is pretty kick-ass sounding for the price so I wonder what is up with this sudden renaissance? I definitely prefer the Pico though but it's more expensive.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A head-fier reported a 'blu-tack' mod. Mine, having bought very recently, must have had this, because I hear negligible pinging on the road.

blu-tack mod link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f36/mi...rtable-408231/

Loaner audition programme link:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f36/ne...illett-258691/

Thanks jelt.
i had forgotten about that thread which I had read many times before purchasing the amp. AFAIR, the reviews were favourable of the amp.

I don't use mine as a portable so it is a non-issue for me.

The tubes are made for portability and rough use, tubes like these were originally designed to MILSPEC (i.e. for use in ICBMs, avionics & signal radios). So ruggedness was paramount in their design (circa 50s). I wouldn't worry about them being damaged.

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevertheless, I think this amp is pretty kick-ass sounding for the price so I wonder what is up with this sudden renaissance?

Haven't you just answered your own question?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 77
Lol.

Maybe the renaissance has something to do with the few TTVJ Milletts tube amps left out there.

Also, some of us (okay - maybe just me) in the UK are about 5 years behind American technological trends! :p

It takes us that long to discover these great little amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #25 of 77
Todd still has these amps in stock, and is sending one for our Bay Area meet at the end of the month. I happen to love the sound of this amp.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #26 of 77
I think it's a good time to bring these up again actually. I'm told they'll soon be out of production because of the limited availability of the tubes in them. So this is probably the best time for someone looking for a portable amp to think about them.

In addition, I have another portable tube amp (C&C TU). That one rings at the slightest touch. In comparison, the TTVJ is so much more silent. Definitely usable on the go- it's the only way I use it, actually!

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Most people, including myself, find this amp to "ping" with the slightest movement or contact. I found the pinging even when stationary to be too intrusive. Hiss wasn't so much an issue.

My comment on "road" amp was meant for hotel purposes.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #28 of 77
Well Jelt,

what can I say?!

Another week with the TTVJ, using it with my linear PCM recording Sony MZ-RH1 for CD quality mini-disc recordings and the Ultrasone Pro 900s. Apart from the times I almost get run over listening to music on the go, I'm in music nirvana!
dt880smile.png

I'm revisiting some of my very first CDs. This one, from the 80s:

41S5K809HFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The recording has always sounded rather thin and weak, even with a full hi-fi system to my ears. I'd thought of getting the album remastered, if only dubbing it onto digital format wasn't so complicated. Then listening to it through the TTVJ, the harpsichord (yes! this album uses a real harpsichord!) and the vocals develop a spine tingling soul plucking finger nipping precision against the spacious chamber pop arrangements. The string quartet in the album is so smooth and refined, playing as languidly as the girl next door (well, I have illustrious neighbours
biggrin.gif
) with that awesome smooth Ultrasone bass holding the fort and moving it a few heart beats within the 3 minute pop precision. Somehow the TTVJ blows the music into the stratosphere and it develops a body and spirit which is incomparable to anything else I've heard on the go!

What a set-up! Thanks to everyone on the forum who inspired me to pull these idiosyncratic bits of gear head-fi equipment together too.

A question though: the internal lithium battery of the TTVJ: how long will this last, before it dies? Is it replaceable, or would I have to send the whole unit back to the States?

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #29 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well Jelt,

what can I say?!

Another week with the TTVJ, using it with my linear PCM recording Sony MZ-RH1 for CD quality mini-disc recordings and the Ultrasone Pro 900s. Apart from the times I almost get run over listening to music on the go, I'm in music nirvana!
dt880smile.png

I'm revisiting some of my very first CDs. This one, from the 80s:

41S5K809HFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The recording has always sounded rather thin and weak, even with a full hi-fi system to my ears. I'd thought of getting the album remastered, if only dubbing it onto digital format wasn't so complicated. Then listening to it through the TTVJ, the harpsichord (yes! this album uses a real harpsichord!) and the vocals develop a spine tingling soul plucking finger nipping precision against the spacious chamber pop arrangements. The string quartet in the album is so smooth and refined, playing as languidly as the girl next door (well, I have illustrious neighbours
biggrin.gif
) with that awesome smooth Ultrasone bass holding the fort and moving it a few heart beats within the 3 minute pop precision. Somehow the TTVJ blows the music into the stratosphere and it develops a body and spirit which is incomparable to anything else I've heard on the go!

What a set-up! Thanks to everyone on the forum who inspired me to pull these idiosyncratic bits of gear head-fi equipment together too.

A question though: the internal lithium battery of the TTVJ: how long will this last, before it dies? Is it replaceable, or would I have to send the whole unit back to the States?

I spoke to Todd regarding this before plonking down the cash and he said that it was a ready available mobile phone battery. He can ship you a replacement and you can either change it yourself or get a technician to do it for you.

He also said that the avg lifespan is about 3-4 years of constant use.

Feb 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #30 of 77
Thanks Triode ~ I'm saving up for a spare one just in case. This is such a magical little amp. A full week running on one power charge! How is that for superb?!

It's harder for us outside of the States to send things for modification; but it's great to know that Todd's there backing up service for these fabulous amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back