Trying to get a headphone under $100.
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sky777

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about getting
Audio Technica ATH-PRO5VA
Audio Technica ATH-T400
Audio Technica ATHM40                                                      Tried the ATHM50 and loved them a bit heavy though
****Technical Pro HPT990 Professional Headphones                    Is this a good brand?
KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones 
****roland Stereo Headphones 
shure srh440
****Fostex T20R                                                                        Is this a good brand?
Panasonic RP-HTF600   
****Phiaton PS 320 Premium Dual Driver Luxury Headphones       Dual drivers?!?!?!?!?!?    
****ACOUSTIC RESEARCH ARW300 2.1 Stereo Headphones       Dual drivers?!?!?!?!?!?
Grado Prestige Series SR-60i                                              My friend offered me the 120i for 50$  However it seems 
philips shl5800/28                                                               like  his brother is using it now and my friend is going to
Superlux HD668B                                                                the army and wont be back for 6 month what should I do?
Superlux HD661                                                                  
****NXG Technology Pro Dj Headphones                                      Sketchy? 
Sony MDRPQ1 PIIQ Headphones                                         
sony mdr v6 
sony MDR-XB500                                                                 bass!                   
AKG K 430 Foldable Mini Headphone                                    
AKG Q460 Mini On Ear Headphones, Quincy Jones line    seems very interesting but never bought a headphone with 30mm drivers        
AKG k-240

Sorry I know this is a long list but I was hoping to get a set of headphone that has a detachable cord, comfortable, durable, and great sound quality! But for under 100 dollars there is no such thing so I don't know what I should choose from this list. Honestly I want them all but don't have that kind of money so what should I get. BTW any information on the (****headphones) are appreciated.  

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 5
If you've tried the ATH M50's and really like them, is there a reason not to save up your money for a bit and get them?  B&H Photo is a very reputable shop in the US and has them for $135 shipped.

And the offer for the Grado's is really good.  Doesn't sound like its going to go through for you.

The AKG K240 Studios meet most of your requirements...detachable cord, comfortable, excellent sound.  They may not fit your listening preferences though.  You might find them a bit neutral/bland compared to the M50's. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 5
The Panasonic HTF-600 is really good. You'd like it if you like the M50s, its better in every way save for build quality.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 5
kerry56: Well for one thing I am 100% sure that I will be saving up to buy the sony z1000 and going to replace my zx500 with the zx700. With an amp the zx500 sounded almost as great as the m50 although the ath m50 did sound better. So I was thinking since I will be getting the zx700, wouldn't that be very similar to ath m50? And I am a Sony fan so I would probably go for the zx700 instead of the ath m50.

Other reasons: I think the cups has too much clamping pressure on your ears.
                       If I remember the headphones were a bit heavy and the cord is coiled/heavy as well  
                      Also the cable is not detachable. I want the ability to switch between cords for portable and home use.

omark12: Yea heard a lot of great review on head-fi about these and they cost 35$!!! Could get these and another pair!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back