Trying out a new sound...
Aug 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MidgetT

Head-Fier
I currently use a pair of Grado SR80i and am looking to try out a pair of headphones with a wider soundstage, perhaps with a more balanced sound as well.  It's not that I don't like the grado sound, it just feels a little up-front for some of my more downbeat/ambient music.  

My budget is around 100-150 bucks preferably.  Open or closed are both okay (though im definitely in the market for a new set of closed phones as well...).  From reading around, I'm interested in trying out some audio technica models...either M50 or A700 but I'm open to any suggestions.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 23
Ha, I never mentioned that I listen to rock...but I do (is that just assumed of grado users these days?).  The grado are great for rock for the most part, and these new phones aren't meant to entirely replace them, just to bring something new to the table.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Ha, I never mentioned that I listen to rock...but I do (is that just assumed of grado users these days?).  The grado are great for rock for the most part, and these new phones aren't meant to entirely replace them, just to bring something new to the table.

Lol....since you use grados i knew you like rock. 
biggrin.gif

But im sure they will give you a different sound signature that you could enjoy. 

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 23
+1 for the ATH-AD700... on a much cheaper note, you could go the Koss PortaPro route. They have a huge soundstage like the AT 'phone, and have much more bass.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 23
AD700.  I don't own them, but I am coveting them so much right now.  Note that these are the open ones--the closed A700s will sound boxy and constricted, with a duller sound.  You could indeed go PortaPro or PX100, but they both have considerable bass humps.  Additionally, the PX100s don't stand up particularly well to abuse (now that I can account for).  Still, the latter two would be enough of a sea change from the Grados, but I'd still suggest going from full headphones to full headphones.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 23
Hmmm, I have the A700 and I do not believe they sound much different from the AD700. The difference is negotiable. For your purpose, one of there two would suit you well.Your call on which one.

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 23
I'm also an actual Grado user and a completely different presentation is the laid back and relaxed sound of the Sennheiser HD650. I guess you can find other Sennheiser models priced around the mark you proposed with similar taste.

Aug 12, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 23

Beats by Dr. Dre.

I just noticed that you're particularly interested in closed.  In that case, go for the a700s.  You could also consider the Sennheiser HD 280 pros if you wanted something cheaper and warmer.

I just noticed that you're particularly interested in closed.  In that case, go for the a700s.  You could also consider the Sennheiser HD 280 pros if you wanted something cheaper and warmer.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the all the responses.  How would you say the soundstages and balance on the A700 and HD 280 compare?  Also I'm never really sure what is meant by a "warm" sound...

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #14 of 23
Get the SRH840.

I own the A700, and the Shure makes mincemeat of the A700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back