TRN impressions thread
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #3,137 of 3,805
@saldsald I'm about to make my purchases. Is the Kirin worth it or stay away? I would also have the bax and ta1 max coming.
Definitely not a stay away. The grain of the sound is finer and more natural compared to the BAX and it has a blacker (not darker) sound. It's closer in sound signature to the BAX and has a little more resolution (for now, as it may improve after burn-in). And btw, after using CP100, CP100+, CP145 and CP360 (depending on which IEMs) I don't hear any sibilance anymore so I don't consider those peaks as problems.

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #3,138 of 3,805

They forgot to put the filters on those tuning nozzles which they are already in the mail and there's a spelling mistake, lol.
Shape is a bit odd and it sounds like it needs a lot of power to driver and may need a very long burn-in time as well.

Looks like my prediction that the Kirin is very similar to the MUSE Power was correct! :)
1655095119382.png

Compared to the MUSE Power, the Kirin is much less expensive, better built, and comes with different tuning nozzles. Might be a win for TRN.

@saldsald by chance, do you have any tuning filters? I think Reference or Transparency + a tuning filter to tame the upper mids has some potential.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,139 of 3,805
Looks like my prediction that the Kirin is very similar to the MUSE Power was correct! :)
1655095119382.png

Compared to the MUSE Power, the Kirin is much less expensive, better built, and comes with different tuning nozzles. Might be a win for TRN.

All we need is someone to disassemble the Muse and Kirin, to confirm it's the same 14.5mm planar driver!

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #3,140 of 3,805

@saldsald by chance, do you have any tuning filters? I think Reference or Transparency + a tuning filter to tame the upper mids has some potential.
I do but only for the circular one, there are 3 more rectangular holes and my filters won't cover them properly.

Listening to that spooky Dune OST again and it definitely performs better than the BAX (in ultra gain mode, and I haven't tried the BAX in that mode) the percussion instruments have a very realistic impact there.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #3,141 of 3,805
I do but only for the circular one, there are 3 more rectangular holes and my filters won't cover them properly.

Listening to that spooky Dune OST again and it definitely performs better than the BAX (in ultra gain mode, and I haven't tried the BAX in that mode) the percussion instruments have a very realistic impact there.
I think you'll only need to put a filter on the nozzle. Given that they forgot to put one on the extra nozzles anyways, it's almost like they had intended for you to put your own 😛

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #3,143 of 3,805
You get 3 pairs of tuning nozzles: Atmospheric "Lmmersion", Reference and Transparency.
I still haven't applied the missing filters but the sound should be similar enough. This Atmospheric "Lmmersion" pair sound like crap to me, just congestion and muddiness. Refernece is good and I am not sure about the Transparency pair as they don't sound transparent, lol. Good that I don't think I am ever gonna change the tunning nozzles.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #3,144 of 3,805
I have like 10 cables from TRN back then I bought for testing but I don't use them anymore. They sound alright and for the price the surely do the job and I have no QC issue with them at all. The only cable from them I have that I think worth keeping is the T6 IMO. I have also bought quite a few XINHS cables like 30 of them and I have moved on to better brands after trying out some Effect Audio cables.

I also bought a few cheap IEMs from them like the MT1, TA1, CS2, BA5 and the V90s. They sounded alright again but never on my recommendation list. Even so I am never scared of trying new things from them like previously being ditched by a GF/BF so I bought the BAX and then I bought the TA1 Max. I compared the BAX with the Moondrop Variations and first of all the BAX connectors are better made as I have issue with the Variations. Also The Variations is not absent from distortion and I hear no distortion on the BAX. Sound signature-wise I also prefer the BAX. The Variations is definitely more resolving thou. Then I bought the TA1 Max even I honsetly hated the original TA1. TRN did not lie about it in their advert about it having a $150 sound. I mostly collect IEMs in the $200 dollars range and I think the TA1 Max is in the same league even being much cheaper.

Well, haha TBH, Redcarmoose's reviews do look a bit like adverts but I don't mind reading them as I can tell he's not lying about the products just sometimes a bit too hyped ( I guess that's his personality, lol).

BTW, just received my Kirin.
That is right! I get worked-up! That’s all.

Jun 13, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #3,145 of 3,805
20220613_101315.jpg20220613_101344.jpg20220613_101401.jpg20220613_101508.jpg20220613_101837.jpg
They forgot to put the filters on those tuning nozzles which they are already in the mail and there's a spelling mistake, lol.
Shape is a bit odd and it sounds like it needs a lot of power to driver and may need a very long burn-in time as well.
Kirin Arta.PNG
Kirin vs TA1 Max vs BAX.PNG
Congratulations! Bravo!

Jun 13, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #3,147 of 3,805
Ar ok I thought you mean the tuning holes. I am not sure if the effect of applying different filters is measurable by couplers.
There are tuning filters that dampen the mid and treble frequencies. That's one of the methods many IEMs are tuned. Some IEMs are packaged with extra tuning filters, such as Moondrop's or Tanchjim's single DD IEMs. Those filters can reduce certain frequencies by 5dB or more.

Here's an example of an IEM with and without its tuning filter:
graph.png

You can also insert foam into the nozzle to achieve a similar effect, or cover part of the nozzle with micropore tape.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,148 of 3,805
I purchased the BAX, TA1 Max, and Kirin. With the Linsoul sale, there really isn't any IEM with Sonion EST anywhere near the mid $200 price range like the BAX hits now. Same with the Kirin, a good deal lower than I paid for my discounted Timeless.

I feel like EQ can tame those treble peaks quite easily if a tuning filter can't, so maybe while it may not be to my liking stock, I can easily get these sets performing exactly how I want them to.

I would try some filters, but I don't have the ability to measure and show what's happening on a graph.

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3,149 of 3,805
I purchased the BAX, TA1 Max, and Kirin. With the Linsoul sale, there really isn't any IEM with Sonion EST anywhere near the mid $200 price range like the BAX hits now. Same with the Kirin, a good deal lower than I paid for my discounted Timeless.

I feel like EQ can tame those treble peaks quite easily if a tuning filter can't, so maybe while it may not be to my liking stock, I can easily get these sets performing exactly how I want them to.

I would try some filters, but I don't have the ability to measure and show what's happening on a graph.
I think your next purchase should be a IEC 711 coupler :)

You can get one from AliExpress for around 80 USD. Very useful tool. Allows you to see the actual effects of EQ, check for channel imbalance, and is great for modding.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #3,150 of 3,805
20220613_101315.jpg20220613_101344.jpg20220613_101401.jpg20220613_101508.jpg20220613_101837.jpg
Kirin Arta.PNG
Kirin vs TA1 Max vs BAX.PNG

Thanks for the measurements! I was looking for a pair of planar and came across this one. The upper mid looks very scary though. Is it as shouty as it looks?

TRN is really inspired by Dunu, aren’t they. Even the “atmospheric immersion” thing (lower upper mid + more midbass)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back