TRN impressions thread
Jan 9, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,907 of 3,805
You're e going to sleep with BA5? Please tell me when you're laying on the side does it hurts your ears? I'm searching for something for that purpose. Blon hurts my ears really bad after some time even if it's small. Plus sonicly BA5 might be something I want from my next iem. Blons bass is too much sometimes, I want more extended treble.

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #1,908 of 3,805
Well yeah , it is comfortable because it has custom shape , i slept at side or even middle , it doesn't hurt you as it fits through your ear canal system . It blocks perfectly without hurting your canal , some iem fitting might press your canal as if it hurt for sensitive canal . Blon need a lot of effort to fit your ear with your adjustment of course. I sincerely don't have any problem with BA5 while i am sleeping , i put timer at music player around one hour and go to sleep , with some piano songs and acoustic country songs like Blake Lewis , Whitney Houston , Mariah Carey songs , ba 5 surely a lullaby for me :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #1,909 of 3,805
Attn all BA5 owners:

There’s a member who is considering the BA5, but wants to know about it’s soundstage, sibilance, whether it has good seperation for fit to rock genres(hard, progressive)maybe old school metal(thrash, progressive and technical death metal
He’s been a drummer for 8 years, who is looking for an analytical sound to seperate enough sound without too hot treble region.

Can anyone help?
He can either like v90 trn or BA5. Trn V90 had quality of bass that he need. It is more balanced sound i think than trn BA5 , trn BA5 is more clear though.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,910 of 3,805
I must be crazy, few days I listen ST1 and they 8$ things are my daily driver now! Their sound will certainly not appeal to everyone. It's typical bright and V-shaped sound signature, very, really very similar to V80, but with something from V90. Lows are great, quite fast and well controled, lower mids are close to V90, but upper mids are closer to V80. I like V90, but their are sometimes little bit shouty at the upper mids to me (f.e. Genessis - Invisible Touch). I don't hear any sibilance on ST1. Do not expect any miracle from vocals, but they are not completely bad, maybe they may lack some details, but they listen to me pleasantly. The heights are also very similar to the V80, but they seem much cleaner to me with lots of micro details. Those who hate the character of the V80 sound will have the same problem with the ST1. I will not evaluate tonality, but I like the sound of acoustic instruments on ST1, it does not sound metallic as ****, but again, I'm not audiophile. Due to strong heights the soundstage seems wider, but it has nothing to do with fake semi open design! ST1 sits good in my ears, but isolation is below average, simply because the shell is made of thin plastic as well as a metal faceplate. Only the plugs on the stock cable have changed, unfortunately the material has remained the same, so again has resistance 2ohm / side :frowning2: Fortunately, I also ordered a cheap (4$) copper 4 core cable from KBear with TFZ connectors and L plug. It is much better, resistance is about 1ohm / side and looks better with silver faceplates to me too (you can compare thickness to stock on pic). I listen mostly to rock, metal and electronic music and I like enough microdetails. ST1 suits me perfectly for these genres, percussion has a good reverberation and even though the ST1 have a little simplified sound I was pleasantly surprised regardless of their price. They may not have as rich and full sound as the V90, have poor isolation from ambient noise, but they are lightweight and I like their clarity of sound.
Yeah it is more between v80 & v90 , i play bassy song ex : shine like diamond : rihanna trn st1 somehow beat trn BA5 , i like the sound coming from trn st1 as it punch withou punching too Deep. Well trn ba 5 certainly fits all categories , but trn st1 works better at fun type of musics, rnb style songs , beat songs i use trn st1 at day light it sure crack my hearing sense in a good way .

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,911 of 3,805
Attn all BA5 owners:

There’s a member who is considering the BA5, but wants to know about it’s soundstage, sibilance, whether it has good seperation for fit to rock genres(hard, progressive)maybe old school metal(thrash, progressive and technical death metal
He’s been a drummer for 8 years, who is looking for an analytical sound to seperate enough sound without too hot treble region.

Can anyone help?

I can recommend a certain IEM that starts with an L and ends with a Z, that also has A6 and Mini in it. Fits all the requisites atleast.

BA5 is fine also, but is really outclassed by the fore mentioned

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #1,912 of 3,805
Attn all BA5 owners:

Can anyone help?

soundstage --> very very good for its class with decent imaging
separation --> also very good and well separated between instrument
for rock genres they will suited well, a fast decay bass also have advantage for bass speed, double kicks, etc, they can handle high BPM songs as well
analytical --> they dont sounded too analytical but there is slight hint to that side, while keep maintain good timbre
hot treble region --> this one can be busy and little hot when on certain busy tracks with a lot of high frequency informarion like hihat, crash, cymbals together with high pitch instrument. depends on how sensitive he is on trebles, but for me (as a bit treble sensitive person) they are a little bit above my limit but i still can take them, think about ZS10 Pro level but less harsh than them.

note for drummer : they may lack of deepness of sub bass because a bit roll off as i mentioned before, you may want more rumble, but texture is good, they just hid below the more emphasize mid bass. so kicks may sounded a bit dry.

hope these helps!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,913 of 3,805
According to your signature it seems like we have a fair bit of gear in common! I have the Trn V90 and Dunu DM480 as well.

How would you compare the Trn BA5 to them? I currently prefer the low end punch and midrange/ treble in the V90s, but the wide soundstage and full bass of the DM480 is really enjoyable for some genres.

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,914 of 3,805
According to your signature it seems like we have a fair bit of gear in common! I have the Trn V90 and Dunu DM480 as well.

How would you compare the Trn BA5 to them? I currently prefer the low end punch and midrange/ treble in the V90s, but the wide soundstage and full bass of the DM480 is really enjoyable for some genres.
Question for you, you said you prefer the midrange of the V90 but I find the mids very recessed in the V90. Could just be my unit, though I still like its signature with certain genres. Could also just be my unit because TRN. :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,915 of 3,805
Question for you, you said you prefer the midrange of the V90 but I find the mids very recessed in the V90. Could just be my unit, though I still like its signature with certain genres. Could also just be my unit because TRN. :)

A thing I noticed on the DM480 is that for some genres its transition from low end to mids can be a bit problematic to my ears and create a "wall of sound" effect. For example, when listening to heavy metal (stuff like Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Be'lakor) I really don't like their sound signature, while switching to hard rock (ACDC, Eclipse) gave me much more pleasing results. Disclaimer: I don't mind recessed mids, as long as the treble is clear and the low end is well tuned.

With the V90 I don't have anything on my daily rotation of songs that I dislike. With the DM480 there are a few bands that I skip, while other bands/genres/songs definitely benefit from the fuller low end and wider soundstage. To my ears the V90 are much better than the Ks Zsx, but comparing V90 and DM480 is more difficult because they're tuned in very different ways. I liked the treble of the V90 out of the box, while the DM480 made me wish the letter S was never invented, so I switched to Comply tips in order to tame the treble a bit.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,916 of 3,805

TRN BA5 is very different from V90 and DM480, they are not punchy at all even though the bass is faster, bass are drier, faster, have a good texture but not rumbling, not wet or warm.
V90 is V shaped IEM, while BA5 more into technical emphasize, they have good separation, sounstage, imaging with slightly towards clear, more analytical sounds than both DM480 and V90

so do i, V90 have recessed midrange aka they are V shaped IEM with booster very punchy and deep sub bass + mid bass at same time but also prominent crisp high frequencies without harshness

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,917 of 3,805
A thing I noticed on the DM480 is that for some genres its transition from low end to mids can be a bit problematic to my ears and create a "wall of sound" effect. For example, when listening to heavy metal (stuff like Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Be'lakor) I really don't like their sound signature, while switching to hard rock (ACDC, Eclipse) gave me much more pleasing results. Disclaimer: I don't mind recessed mids, as long as the treble is clear and the low end is well tuned.

With the V90 I don't have anything on my daily rotation of songs that I dislike. With the DM480 there are a few bands that I skip, while other bands/genres/songs definitely benefit from the fuller low end and wider soundstage. To my ears the V90 are much better than the Ks Zsx, but comparing V90 and DM480 is more difficult because they're tuned in very different ways. I liked the treble of the V90 out of the box, while the DM480 made me wish the letter S was never invented, so I switched to Comply tips in order to tame the treble a bit.
See, I think I'm just weird because i prefer the treble of the ZS10 Pro(i don't have a ZSX) to the V90 and many think the ZS10 Pro is treble hot. I also prefer the TFZ T2 treble which is also hot in the upper mids. Your comment was useful though, thanks.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,918 of 3,805
I have some V90's. Do you have an example of a song where I would obviously notice the recessed midrange you both mentioned?
I'd like to compare them to my other earphones with a specific song so I can tell if they are different.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,919 of 3,805
so do i, V90 have recessed midrange aka they are V shaped IEM with booster very punchy and deep sub bass + mid bass at same time but also prominent crisp high frequencies without harshness
They are peaky at 10 khz to my ears, eq fixes it of course but i was surprised no one else was bothered by it. WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT HEARING THOUGH! :)

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,920 of 3,805
See, I think I'm just weird because i prefer the treble of the ZS10 Pro(i don't have a ZSX) to the V90 and many think the ZS10 Pro is treble hot. I also prefer the TFZ T2 treble which is also hot in the upper mids. Your comment was useful though, thanks.

You are a treblehead incautiously man, there is a chance you will like the BA5 or get NX7 pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back