TRN impressions thread
Dec 15, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #1,801 of 3,805
Matching two different charts one against another is a problem especially when they are from different iems with different types of tuning like flat FR vs v-shaped... SInce i measured Blons 1 week afer BA5s level matching was nowhere near. BUT i can redo my measurements tomorrow for those two very different iems (DD vs 5BA) based on same input dB readings on software effectively matching them from SPL level and we can check actual overlaping of FRs.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,802 of 3,805
Interesting how your measurements came up for these two (in particular the bass). Crinacle measurements tell a very different story!

Noting your qualification around your own measurements, how does the bass on the two compare to your ears? Does your ear match your measurements?

From everything I've read, I would have though the BA5 should have much less bass (which is consistent with the crinacle measurements). As a basshead, I think I need V90 in my life rather than BA5! :)
Here is another one... https://www.reddit.com/r/inearfidel...mpt_at_a_target_curve_based_on_my_subjective/
Attempt at a target curve.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,803 of 3,805
Ah right, I see. (Sorry - I'm not experienced in reading measurements!) :)

So just to clarify, your subjective hearing of the two is as we would expect - ie. the blons are bassier (despite measuring similar on your rig)?

(Also, I just want to be completely clear in case you might have taken offence from my comment - I definitely wasn't having a go at you about your measurements or anything! Was just surprised at the results, and curious about how the bass compares on the two.) :)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,804 of 3,805

So just to clarify, your subjective hearing of the two is as we would expect - ie. the blons are bassier (despite measuring similar on your rig)?

(Also, I just want to be completely clear in case you might have taken offence from my comment - I definitely wasn't having a go at you about your measurements or anything! Was just surprised at the results, and curious about how the bass compares on the two.) :)
Blons extend lower and have more impact and slam. Slower decay. BA5 is fast with more emphasis on mid bass. Have not done direct comparisons and am going off notes and memory. FWIW

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,805 of 3,805
Just receive my st1 today, ootb sound not impress me. Standard cable sound more balance than silver cable that sound more bright disproportion mid high with bass. Doesnt fit my ear well, replace tip from qkz vk1.

I want to review st1 when my kz zsn pro arrive with grado sr80i as my reference.

Update:
Seller of zsn send me 4 pair of sponge tip and using that sound differ like day and night.

St1 now sound good, bass mid balance. Both iem are bright sound with zsn a bit brighter.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #1,806 of 3,805
Blons extend lower and have more impact and slam. Slower decay. BA5 is fast with more emphasis on mid bass. Have not done direct comparisons and am going off notes and memory. FWIW

Exactly what I heard about their bass.

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #1,807 of 3,805
Yes exactly. Blons are slow and muddy and extended towards sub-bass. With tip rolling one can make them sound more balanced - slightly lighter on bass and more focused, with added presence around 4K-5K for a better instruments separation, and taming that high-freq peak that emphasizes cymbals in mix. For me it's SpinFits CP100M. Measurements were done with SpiralDots because these are basically a best allaround eartips that many people agree sound pleasant.
BA5 is light on bass (comparing to DD sets) especially in a stock driver configuration that imho has bright tuning. Simple trick of puting some foam inside nozzle tames harsh mids and highs shifts perceivable balance of freqs accross spectrum thus bass became more prominent without actually amplifying it.
P.S. I still will do a new measurements with matched SPL just to be a more "scientifically" correct :)
P.S.S. No offences taken as it's understandable that someone who joined head-fi 1 month ago and barely has done 50 posts is more prone to a doing errors in measurements than seasoned pro's that are living here for years... Just two words about my background: i was drummer in a couple of metal bands 10 years ago, have some studio recording and live mixing experience, have masters degree in microelectronics and my daily job is repairing mobile phones (soldering micro-bga ICs, smd components, extensively using microscope etc...) for almost 15 years now. So i have a clue what i am measuring, have some good recording equipment at home, have some understanding where the bottlenecks of my methods lies, and taking into account those i try to work with what i have on hands.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,808 of 3,805
As seen on this chart Crinacle had bad luck with TRN QC - Left earpiece has bass roll-off. On the other hand Right unit bass measures a couple of dB under Blon's bass (yes this is where SPL level matching comes handy).
I read somewhere that BA5 was tuned to sound like Blon, which was disproved by @KopiOkaya and is seen clearly on this chart:
from 2K and up Blon's FR have DOWNWARD slope (nice relaxed non-fatiguing sound), while BA5 exhibits almost flat plateau with three peaks sitiing at the same level (when measured with IEC711 compliant coupler) or have UPWARD slope when measured with diy tube coupler like i have on hand which gives bright "analytical" sound.
image_2019-12-16_11-03-13.png

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,809 of 3,805
Speaking of QC, what do you think of CCA quality-control? I have a C12 on the way, and I got it at the cheapest price from KRHifi Store. It's a reputable store, seems related to NiceHCK. I figure it shouldn't matter where it comes from.

I haven't had personal experiences yet but yeah, as long as it's a legit one should be fine. It really looked very solid and nice to handle when I tried them so I recognize that they should be at least better than the V90 in that department, lol.

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,811 of 3,805
Anyone seen or heard anything good about the TRN BT3S? I was looking aroud aliexpress and the 20 hour battery life is a huge jump from everyone else. No BT 5.0 but I don't care about that so much.

My TRN BT3S just arrived and I like it a lot. I'm using it with a CCA C10 and the 0.75 pin version. It just works. Well.

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,812 of 3,805

TRN V90 + Nicehck C16-1 + TRN Foam Tips = Changed Man.

I after following the EQ guide from here, the SQ improved futher. I now use this as my daily driver until something will trump it on the same price point.

Thanks to all Masters here who shared their wisdom

Very pretty! What dimensions are those foam tips? I have v90 as well and im interested to try. Cheers

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,813 of 3,805
Very pretty! What dimensions are those foam tips? I have v90 as well and im interested to try. Cheers

I don't know about the dimension (the size of the tops are large though) , but it's the one that TRN usually sell. The only drawback is that they're too soft and easy to break but the sound they produce matches the complys :)

Also, I have a pair of acoustune aet07, and will try to use that as well :D

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,814 of 3,805
:L3000:Hey I just got my TRN ST-1 with mic cables. First impression that I got it is comfortable to wear and the looks are not that cheap because it's shiny metallic , isolation is quite great at the price of 14$ I got. So now we are talking about the sound quality and I am owning trn ba5 and trn st 1 :
1. Low : rumble type of bass for bass heads acceptable
2. MID : Vocal is clear at this price surprisingly I was entertained
3. High : it is not as loud as kz zsn pro series , hmmm it is more comfortable to hear , not harsh

To increase the sound quality you can use cables of any since it's hybrid iem , I use KZ Bluetooth module aptx , and it is really good , mid is getting better and bass slightly reduce , and treble raise .

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #1,815 of 3,805
:L3000:Hey I just got my TRN ST-1 with mic cables. First impression that I got it is comfortable to wear and the looks are not that cheap because it's shiny metallic , isolation is quite great at the price of 14$ I got. So now we are talking about the sound quality and I am owning trn ba5 and trn st 1 :
1. Low : rumble type of bass for bass heads acceptable
2. MID : Vocal is clear at this price surprisingly I was entertained
3. High : it is not as loud as kz zsn pro series , hmmm it is more comfortable to hear , not harsh

To increase the sound quality you can use cables of any since it's hybrid iem , I use KZ Bluetooth module aptx , and it is really good , mid is getting better and bass slightly reduce , and treble raise .

Glad that you got your parcel. One thing I'm curious about is it's timbre? Do they sound natural? Considering its a hybrid, it'll have some flaws but at $11, there's not much to complain about. If it has half decent timbre, it'd be a winner at this price point and give ZSN a run for it's monies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back