TRN impressions thread
Aug 16, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #811 of 3,807
According to Kopi.its a mild V-shaped.it might sound like BGVP DMS.
At less than 1/3 the price of the DMS if it gets close it should open up some eyes. I actually enjoy the V80 more than the DMG which is one reason I didn’t go for the DMS. And then you have the $170 street price and it was an easy one to pass on.

Aug 16, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #812 of 3,807
According to Kopi.its a mild V-shaped.it might sound like BGVP DMS.

KopiOkaya has a short youtube video of this IEM and answers some queries about the sound signature in the comments section (see above "youtube link" at bottom right of the video).
I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #813 of 3,807
I'll wait for the 1st wave of reviews to come in, on the V90.

I've had two misses so far with TRN:
V60 had a separated nozzle.
V80 (after 4 days of burn in) is still sibilant. I can see where the tuning allows for a higher resolution (cymbals are on point), but it's ridiculous how much I had to drop out of 8K (-8 db), on Spotify's EQ, for vocals.

I've still got a V60 Pro inbound. So one more attempt.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #814 of 3,807
I'll wait for the 1st wave of reviews to come in, on the V90.

I've had two misses so far with TRN:
V60 had a separated nozzle.
V80 (after 4 days of burn in) is still sibilant. I can see where the tuning allows for a higher resolution (cymbals are on point), but it's ridiculous how much I had to drop out of 8K (-8 db), on Spotify's EQ, for vocals.

I've still got a V60 Pro inbound. So one more attempt.

Well according to Kopi's youtube comments question and answer section regarding the V90: "It is same as V80 but with better sub-bass extension and much smoother treble. Micro-details are vastly improved too. Soundstage and overall spatial cue are bigger and more spacious."

I was actually on the fence about getting the V80 and after reading reviews about the treble harshness/sibilance, I decided to give it a miss. So if the treble is improved here, I think the V90 may potentially be a great IEM in the $50 USD price bracket.

Aug 17, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #815 of 3,807
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #816 of 3,807
bought a pair of IM2 , unfortunately, don't really like them. The TRN V30's I currently rinse are much better IMO. the IM2 are very cavernous sounding, and lacking in clarity and detail. just my tuppence worth.
After I first read your comment I compared the IM2 to several other sets and I heard what you referred to as the cavernous sound. I was using the stock Large tips. Switching to NiceHCK grey/red core tips improved everything immensely. Switching to Sony Hybrid tips kept most everything the same but the treble lost its bite. Luckily I had some TRN Black/ Full Red core tips which are the same as the Medium and Small size included with all their sets These tips give me all the treble and give me a better seal for some reason. Seal is VERY important with the IM2. Where everything seemed a bit distant now everything was more up front like a ZSN or CA4 but with considerably more refinement.

I think what’s going on is without a perfect seal do to their shallow depth the slightly echoey effect is enhanced. There could be a resonance in the ear canal that causes the soundstage to get set back and for reverb associated with certain instruments to be exaggerated. Listening to several tracks and drum demos where I know that reverb was added I did hear more of the reverb artifact that the added by software. I think this makes the IM2 real special since it’s giving you what’s in the recording and it seems to give the sound signature a bit more width. Also I noticed snare drums that have a good amount of reverb sound more full bodied with the IM2. The next test is live recordings. I did listen to Mountain Jam from The Allman Brothers Band from the Eat A Peach album and that entire track sounded amazing especially the bass guitar solo. Track #4 off the Gogira Magma release sounds amazing. The hihats sound correct, the massive kick drum is detailed and pounds hard like it’s suppose to. Black Mambo from Glass Animals has all the boxes checked. Good integration between bass and treble with the unique kick drum with that slightly basketball attack sound. Mouth sounds check. Midbass focused bass line while maybe slightly boomy has good weight. Vocals are forward and intimate. The slightly overdriven guitar at the end of the track floats outside the left ear and is very separate from the rest of the track and gives a nice sense of width.
I listened to several of my test tracks and comparing them to some of my other sets I wasn’t hearing the cavernous sound. The guy that tuned these has a good ear so I doubt he would give an ok to something that was seriously flawed. Now the next test is to use the TRN tips I originally used and see if I can detect that odd effect.

I have the **** Ash arriving next week so I’ll be comparing the 2 which are related and see if I should have both sets in my collection or get rid of one of them. The **** Ash apparently uses a better DD and is tuned slightly different by the same gentleman.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #817 of 3,807
If someone is interested, the official TRN website has some more info about V90 (in Chinese):
http://www.trn-hifi.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=7&id=109#a4

TRN V90 graph.jpg

Thanks for the link.
This is apparently the V90 graph they posted on the link.

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #819 of 3,807
V90’s ARE HERE! V90 HERE! Just ordered from AE. Nicehck has the best price. Just ordered my pair WITH 5 sets of silicone tips for well under $50 before tax. Definitely 11/11 prices. And who are any of us kidding? If even ONE reviewer said they were a mild improvement in sound over the V80 90% of you that are “on the fence” waiting for some reviews would be ordering these TODAY. Build quality looks better than the V80 from the pics. Hopefully these will be better than my DMG which just sit in the drawer and might be going bye bye very soon.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #820 of 3,807
So, what was the deal? I see $49. What brought it to "well under $50" ?? 11/11 prices? Know I am on the PC but not even a coupon below $89 shows for me.

Not that $49 is expensive though:)

Blue is a nice mature dark shade that looks nice but would pop more with a lighter cable.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #821 of 3,807
So, what was the deal? I see $49. What brought it to "well under $50" ?? 11/11 prices? Know I am on the PC but not even a coupon below $89 shows for me.

Not that $49 is expensive though:)

Blue is a nice mature dark shade that looks nice but would pop more with a lighter cable.
You need to use the Aliexpress app. You always get a considerable discount on most items using the app vs using your browser. When you click on the specific listing from the NiceHCK store it comes up as $39.81. Right next to the price it says Fans Exclusive Discount in Black and Gold. It’s still the same price but who knows for how long.

I ordered the midnight blue. Very classy looking.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #822 of 3,807
I ordered the midnight blue. Very classy looking.

Despite not owning a single TRN earphone, I do have to admit that midnight blue looks drop dead gorgeous and is very tempting.

I’ll have to wait for a few impressions before deciding.

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #823 of 3,807
And who are any of us kidding? If even ONE reviewer said they were a mild improvement in sound over the V80 90% of you that are “on the fence” waiting for some reviews would be ordering these.

H6c338d62d0df4761bf03870efed3190bf.jpg

I would hope after that 17 month there and with them "reaching new dimensions of sound" that they are more than a mild improvement over the V80 :)

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #824 of 3,807
I loved the v80s with Spinfit CP145's. They have more low end bass than the ZS10 Pro and airier treble. The ZS10 pro are very in your face and although they sound amazing with the Nubee silicon tips, need to be tamed more. Just put in an order for the v90s. Can't wait!

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #825 of 3,807
H6c338d62d0df4761bf03870efed3190bf.jpg

I would hope after that 17 month there and with them "reaching new dimensions of sound" that they are more than a mild improvement over the V80 :)
I’m hoping they’re more than a mild improvement also. Was simply poking fun at the wait and see crowd since like I said if they’re any improvement over the V80 people will be ordering these in droves. We can already see they look better than the V80 and I’m estimating by the looks the fit will be considerably better which seems like it could be like a Rounded, smaller KZ with the addition of the crux of helix support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back