TRN impressions thread
Jul 27, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #721 of 3,805
Funnily it was that post and a Google search that bought me here in the first place lol. I do know from previous experience that @KopiOkaya has... ehem... contacts within TRN so I was wondering if he had more news now that we're approaching the end of July.

Similarly, I'm okay with my V80 (loving the tight thumps despite the hot top end) but if the V90 is better, why not lol. Even the housings look pretty sexy to me.

Especially if TRN goes funky and does differently coloured buds like black left/red right or something (wink wink) - as I already do differently coloured Hybrids tips (thanks to Sony having Black/White Hybrids in every size) which makes identifying which side to shove into which ear easy in a pinch.

You mean Blue for Left and Red for Right. If the V90 are a considerable improvement over the the V80 I’m all in. Once I found the right tips I got the hot top end to tame down nicely without affecting the bass or midrange.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #722 of 3,805
Well, my BT3S is here, and I'm really liking it so far. Noise floor is seems to be better (slightly less) than what I remember the old BT3, paired with the V80 (it could just be placebo though), and it might just be me but running it Apt-X might be grinding the edges off the V80's treble by a bit as well (yay?).

Came with the thing fully charged out of the box too, which IINM isn't the best way to store Li-Po powered devices, but hey what do I know.

One big con however, the flap that covers the Micro-B port is a PITA as it doesn't swivel or otherwise move out of the way like flaps I've had on other Bluetooth earbuds before.

And the thing is huge when put next to my other 'neckband' IEM (the admittedly tiny Meizu EP52), and I'm wondering how I'm gonna fit the huge monstrosity into the teeny weeny freebie case the seller sent along with the package.

Tomorrow, some 'practical use' testing to see if we really get 'improved' battery life - at least compared to my old BT3 non-S. Here's hoping.

@Assimilator702 Well, Blue/Red would be nice too. Or is it universally accepted thing to indicate L/R? (EDIT: Apparently it kinda is...)

Asking because I'm simply using BLK/R or BLK/W to indicate L/R on a whim here (heck any contrasting colours will do, and the Hybrids only come in BLK/W). For one I do know Complys come in B/R (and Black), and have always wondered why not other colours.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #723 of 3,805
So get used to foam :) I'm using TRN foams now and I'm very happy with them, they do in 4 colors :)

I bought all the TRN colors I liked them so much. The KZ tips seem to be the same. The tips NiceHCK sells are similar in quality and performance. The TRN foam tips seem to be more sticky but I think that’s because they seal the package after manufacturing them while the ones sold e lose the stickiness.They all perform the same. Although I ALWAYS use a silicone tip if possible and only resort to foam if silicone doesn’t work. On some sets you lose bass response with foam tips. When my TRN V80 I thought the treble was too sharp and needed foam tips but after 80 hours they settled down and I can use silicone tips. The red core TRN and 1/2 red cores are nice tips. Something KZ should learn.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #724 of 3,805
Holy... I have been using the BT3S on and off at around 60-80% volume since morning (it's about 11pm here now) and the thing still has 80% battery left - or at least that's what my Android BT battery gauge is saying anyway. I didn't time it exactly but I reckon I used it for about 2-3 hours or so in total.

Well, that indicator isn't exactly the most accurate thing, but at least it seems that the upgraded batteries/chipset on the BT3S are well on its way of achieving (and maybe even surpassing) TRN claims of "2x" compared to the old BT3 (mine never lasted beyond 4 hours with the V80, for some reason).

Not that I mind. Thing is already massive so it's good the battery life's in line with its size lol.

Also, the control module/mic being saperate helps a WHOLE lot with making you sound half-decent in phone calls (building it into the neckband like the old BT3 / EP52 is definitely NOT the way to do it). I don't think there's any Qualcomm trickery involved like the Bullets W2, but eyyy it ain't bad.

And yeah, the noise floor is still there... though for some reason I keep on feeling that there definitely is a touch less of it compared to the BT3 OG, though I'm not exactly sure where the thing is now so I can't exactly A-B to confirm.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #725 of 3,805
I see a new TRN IEM...H2 has shown up on Ali.

Any word on these? I just noticed them today on AE. I’m very tempted. I just got my IM2 and they are pretty good. I compared them to the TFZ My Love 2019 and I have to say I don’t hear a $14.50 iem vs a $60 iem. I would call it a side grade but one I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. And that says much more for the IM2 than the TFZ. I want to get more hours on them but so far I’m VERY impressed. Listening to Sarah McLaughlin MirrorBall Live and Im damn impressed. So far it seems the best tips are the medium bores TFZ tips. The Sony Hybrids are too restrictive with the vocals. Who said these were dark sounding? I’m not finding that at all. They might not be sparkly but they AINT dark in the least bit.

The H2 seems to have an exact build type with the same shell and the aluminum nozzle with the unfiltered bore. And seeing the tubes used for tuning the dynamic and the BA in the IM2 is more advanced than what KZ is doing. For $17 I guess I’ll take one for the team and let you all know how close they are to the IM2. The carbon fiber faceplate is sweet. And I would think with the H2 being a single DD it would be the most logical to compare to most of the TFZ. I’m curious how close it comes to the No. 3.

Edit: Just ordered these for $16.89 from AE......can’t wait.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #727 of 3,805
Just ordered the TRN V80 and a couple 16 core, .75, TRN cables.

Is a .78 really not going to work in these ?

I wouldn’t worry about it. I measure all the pins on my cables and they’re all over the place. There’s no consistency between any of the companies. But from the 10 aftermarket cables I’ve measured they’re a bit closer in tolerance compared to the stock cables. But still off enough to not worry about it. Just order a 2 pin you like and go with it.

You ordered the V80. Since you’re late to the TRN party don’t overlook the IM2. I’m VERY impressed with my pair. I think I like them more than the V80. I have 52 hours on my pair and I can’t stop listening to them. I have an $18 cable from NiceHCK on them and I’m shocked at the sound I’m hearing now compared to when I first got them. This is another one of those shocking $15 purchases and for the $22.50 I paid I’m more impressed with these than any of the budget under $30 stuff I’ve tried in the past few months. I was about to order a second pair of V80 but I’m glad I went with the IM2 instead.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #728 of 3,805
so i got my BT20S a week ago and been testing them. overall i like it. i tried pairing it to my DM6 but it makes audible hiss. i ended up pairing it to my B5+, which also has a slight hiss, but barely noticable unless I'm being critical. no hiss with my earbuds though. battery is longer, though i also don't have problems of running out of juice with the BT20, but the added battery life is a welcome improvement. i also like the new doff finish, and connection seems more stable than the BT20.

if only TRN can make like a little adjustable volume pots on the unit or lower the noise floor more, to accommodate more sensitive iems, it would be a formidable product.

also i think the way they make the foam mold on the box makes the cables way too bent.. i bought a couple of BT20 and BT20S for me and my friends, and they all needed to be adjusted a little (and funny enough, those adjustments seems to be consistent)

this is the usual adjustment that i ended up making for me and my friend's units compared to the foam in the box

just slight, but really make the difference in fit and comfort

Oh nice. How's the mic quality? Is it possible to use them to make calls?

I have the BT20 and the mic is very, very bad.

Aug 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #729 of 3,805
Just ordered the TRN V80 and a couple 16 core, .75, TRN cables.

Is a .78 really not going to work in these ?

Well, it actually does work. I bought my BT3S specifically in 0.78 because my 0.75 BT3 was annoyingly loose (as far as I could remember anyway)... and because I have a suspicion that the used handmade silver cables I got off E-Earphones Nipponbashi (and am using as a daily driver now) was indeed 0.78 because it feels kinda snug.

Annnd they're both working fine with zero issues with my V80. Unfortunately, it's a given that once you jam the bigger pins in, expect your 0.75 cables (the original for example, which I don't actually like all that much) to become EVEN looser... despite the modest, paper thin difference.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #731 of 3,805
I got my BT20S this week and I must say that they are probably the closest to replicate wired sound via BT. Using them with my Tennmak Pro+Redmi K20 Pro, they sound absolutely delicious. Sonic signature of buds attached is retained and they have some oomph and power in terms of both sound and battery life (8+ hrs and yet to charge, listen at 65-75% volume). Don't have BT20 so can't compare, but if anyone is looking for a wireless solution under $40 with their favourite IEMs then this is it.

Also, @KopiOkaya 's YT video on pairing these devices was a huge help. So a big thanks to him. Suggest the link for this be pinned somewhere in this forum. It'll help many newbies like me.

Link for reference -

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #732 of 3,805
I got my BT20S this week and I must say that they are probably the closest to replicate wired sound via BT. Using them with my Tennmak Pro+Redmi K20 Pro, they sound absolutely delicious. Sonic signature of buds attached is retained and they have some oomph and power in terms of both sound and battery life (8+ hrs and yet to charge, listen at 65-75% volume). Don't have BT20 so can't compare, but if anyone is looking for a wireless solution under $40 with their favourite IEMs then this is it.

Also, @KopiOkaya 's YT video on pairing these devices was a huge help. So a big thanks to him. Suggest the link for this be pinned somewhere in this forum. It'll help many newbies like me

Unfortunately, HeadFi doesn’t have stickies or pinning.

But if you edit your post above and put a link to his YouTube video, it will be searchable to anyone looking for the information :)

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #733 of 3,805
Unfortunately, HeadFi doesn’t have stickies or pinning.

But if you edit your post above and put a link to his YouTube video, it will be searchable to anyone looking for the information :)

Nice idea. Will do so.

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #734 of 3,805
Could anyone please tell me the output impedance of the BT20S? I am struggling to find this info on line.

Also: has anyone tried pairing this with the Andromedas?

from what I've read somewhere, pairing with the andros would produce hissing, but to be fair i also read that the fostex tm2 and andros also produces hiss.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #735 of 3,805
I would actually do foam if they lasted more than they did (before getting all gunky and gross) and yeah I've tested Complys, the inexpensive Chinese "New Bee" foams (or something, they're usually on AliEx) and even decored Shure Olives.

Of these three the New Bees seem to be the best in terms of performance / cost effectiveness (being less fragile AND cheaper then Comps) but compared to Hybrids that last pretty much until I tear a corner or two... y'know.

But they do tame the V80's hot top end a lot better then my Hybrids, if I'm being completely honest.

If only the old Sony "Hybrid Foam" tips came in both black and white (they don't for some reason) and weren't discontinued. There's the new foam over silicon "Triple Comfort" thing replacing it nowadays but again, those are only available in one colour (grey) and are relatively expensive... not to mention being foam over silicone, would eventually get gunky as well.

Eyyy, I guess I'll just stick with my 'brids then.

TBH, in the name of SCIENCE, I even made my own version of the "Hybrid Foam" tips (kinda) with decored Complies/New Bees and Hybrids but I never could make the foam stay stuck to the underside of the silicone cones for long before they start breaking apart and dislodging themselves.

I probably need to get myself better adhesives to make it work but eyyy, that's a bit too much work for me lol.
I totally love the New Bee foams on almost all the iems I own. Complys are rough on the inside of my ears, and don't last long. Cleaning them makes them fall apart; and while they bring up the bass alot, they dull the mids and highs too much for my tastes. Not a fan of those wax filters, so I cut that out of the mediums I usually use. Better, but still not as good as the Newbee foams. The Complys might be good with my new Nicehck NX7 when I get them. For anything else I currently own, Newbees all the way, except for TFZ NO.3. Those sound too dark and unrevealing in the mids and highs, so I use Spinfits with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back