TRN impressions thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,807 of 3,807
IMG_20210429_132245.jpg

IMG_20210429_132357.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the drivers themselves seem more or less aligned, but the circuit ring on the right earpiece appears to be coming loose/improperly/insecurely attached to the rear of the driver enclosure. Wonder what impact this will have, if any

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,808 of 3,807
I can share all these sentiments, being burned by TRN, and with their famous not existent QC, buying their IEMs only for spare parts...

TRN cables are quite OK, nothing to brag about, but can be taken credit for bringing decent cables with diverse connectors for under $10 and generally bringing the cable prices down.

MMCX is absolutely a problem waiting to happen, in my opinion. After getting my first two-pin IEMs, I got MMCX ones only if really needed (like MT300).
I can deal with $20 or less, but they burn me on $50+ IEMs, one of the earphone suddenly stopped working, they denied the return saying that there is nothing is wrong with the picture I sent. Aliexpress denied it saying the picture is just fine. Then, they dare to message me to send the IEM back with my money (they don't have free return) and ask for $10 extra to ship the new one back to me...

I would buy TRN via amazon. But, I have not heard any new breakthrough from them. I would skip them. There are a lot more better IEMs than TRN, for example FIIO FH5s.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #2,810 of 3,807
My MT1s just arrived, in the clear version it is visibly "clear" that the drivers are not properly aligned before being glued to the nozzle-side of the interior. This can cause volume level and soundstage imbalance, maybe frequency imbalance too
@PhoenixSong Yeah..Good observation Mate :) I guess that much too, just basic QC was all I ask for ..yet..hmmmn...Sigh...:frowning2:

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,812 of 3,807
Tested the battery life for these again after about 4 months of usage. I use these almost every day while jogging, unless I'm testing some other TWS earbuds, so it has seen quite a bit of usage over this period. I was getting around 4.5hrs of battery life on a single charge when they were brand new, and that has gone down to around 4 hours now (iPhone, aac, ~60-70% volume), which is frankly way better than I had expected. Previously with the KZ Z1, the battery life went from around 2 hours to just around 40 mins after 4 months. :/

Anyway, still my favourite pair of TWS earbuds so far because of the nice fit and sound quality. Maybe when the battery eventually bites the dust, i'll see if I can convert it to wired. :joy:

1.jpg

May 2, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,813 of 3,807
The STM just arrived. SO FUN TO PLAY WITH.

The change in sound is very noticeable when you switch filters. I find this good value considering it can be found for less than 20 USD. Package is typical "Chi-Fi" (box and all). Shell is "the most used shell of all time" but is satisfyingly weighty. Faceplate reminds me of Gundams. I do find timbre in string instruments and John Batiste's voice (male vocals but on the upper spectrum) to be unnaturally thin and artificial, being metallic (is this the BA timbre everyone talks about?) - assessment on blue filter.

Red = least fatiguing of the bunch. Decrease in upper midrange and lower treble, thus emphasizing bass a touch. I'd say it's the most "balanced" one.

Blue = brightest sounding filter. Most in treble quantity (and in extension, detail). Quite like it.

Gold = the one I least liked. That upper midrange is too elevated. Sounds like a generic V (reminded me of why I hated the EDX which might be a filter away from being good considering that the STM filters only affect the upper midrange and treble region🤔?).

The KZ AZ09 and KZ Tri-Metal cable should hopefully arrive tomorrow and the Tri-Metal would automatically be paired with the STM as the AZ09 is reserved for the DQ6, which if good, will become my EDC (not like I'll be going out of the house any time soon 🤣).

UPDATE: Red is most pleasing for my ears and the filter that least shows the wrongness in the BA timbre. Bass quality is close to the KZ DQ6, which has been hailed by multiple Head-Fiers to compete with way more expensive IEMs if we're talking about bass quality.

IMG20210502154941.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #2,815 of 3,807
TA1 arrived today. Quick listen: lush warm tonality, gentle treble. Amazing build quality and presentation at the price. More impressions soon. Will compare with Tin T3 and TRI i4, which are also 1DD + Knowles 33518.

May 10, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,819 of 3,807
TA1 shaping up to be among the best in its price range. With a change of cable to the one from the Tin T4, it really shines. More detail and treble extension, sub bass has nice weight but doesn't dominate, and mids have very nice timbre. Soundstage is very good as well. Factor in the build quality and presentation and it puts CCA/KZ to shame. TRN have a winner here.

May 10, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #2,820 of 3,807
Just bought TA1 based on reviews and damn they look hot. I'll compare it to TinHifi T2 and iBasso IT00.
Although the comparison would be apples to oranges as TA1 is an hybrid whereas other two are DDs both have their pros and cons. But, yeah from an end user point of view one can compare how they sound with some riders attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back