TRN impressions thread
Dec 7, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,681 of 3,806
Finally i recieved BA5... very nice build quality, excellent shape that blends with my ear cavity. OOTB they sound V-shaped and are just plain bright, exactly as they are measuring - 3 peaks one after another with 8K-9k being mostl annoying for ears. After extensive tip rolling i came back to stock TRN tips included in package - L version being most pleasant full sounding to me. SpiralDots were the worst (to my surpise). Stock cable has 1.9 Ohm resistance (0.95 ohm is negative wire + 0.95 is positive wire), given that impedance from specs is around 20 ohm these sound quite bad with stock cable. SQ is much better with higher quality low resistance cable like Tripowin C8 SIlver Copper which has combined resistance under 0.9 Ohm.
For those that also find it bright these can be modded very easily. Lift off the metallic dust cap and put inside some acoustic foam (or animal sponge courtesy of @DynamicEars ) this will tame high freq intensity while preserving overal tuning shape. Other idea for further modding that i will try tomorrow should be opening of the faceplate and desolder one (or mabe even two) of the 30095 high-freq BA units, thus lowering brightness without puting sponge into nozzle.

If my eyes aren't playing tricks to me is there any mesh damper on the BA5 grill that shaped like donut? I mean like there is a damper around the grill but there is a big hole undampered in the middle. If this true, this kind shape of damper would be very ideal, I've been thinking to do something like that because cloth or paper damper on the grill usually block all the holes that made air can't come out and made shifted timbre and affecting texture of the bass. Just make a thicker damper but still with donut shape for intense treble will be good.
Unfortunately we can't make that tiny cut DIY style

*edit : or that just the adhesive?

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,682 of 3,806
Too bad you can't listen to them anymore, I did a bungee jump with them yesterday, and have the feeling they sound more airy now, the bass feels more elastic to my ears also.

I took mine to space this morning, but I could hear anything due to the vacuum :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #1,683 of 3,806
If my eyes aren't playing tricks to me is there any mesh damper on the BA5 grill that shaped like donut? I mean like there is a damper around the grill but there is a big hole undampered in the middle. If this true, this kind shape of damper would be very ideal, I've been thinking to do something like that because cloth or paper damper on the grill usually block all the holes that made air can't come out and made shifted timbre and affecting texture of the bass. Just make a thicker damper but still with donut shape for intense treble will be good.
Unfortunately we can't make that tiny cut DIY style

*edit : or that just the adhesive?

That’s just the ring of adhesive.

Dec 8, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,684 of 3,806
My 2pin Trn B20s is now Crackling at 90% and 100%. Sounds fine at 80%. But this occurred suddenly turning them on.

Battery for both module reporting in as a blue led (fully charged)

I tried charging them again, still crackling at 90% and more. 80% very little but some.

I guess this is right in time to try the FiiO ones. Too bad those are mmcx. Maybe I should not have returned the Fostex, but they added a less cold tonality. The Trn did not change things.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #1,685 of 3,806
Stock KZ ZSN copper cable that can be had for $2-3 on AE measures 0.30ohm avg and IMO is the best bang for the buck upgrade cable for the BA5.
Iirc CCA C12 has same stock cable?

Dec 8, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1,686 of 3,806
Any BT20s users face this odd issue of left earpiece just not charging (unless they reach 0%) and turning on when recharged?? I have two BT20s and have same problem on both of them. I fear I'm doing something wrong with these or both of them are dead.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #1,689 of 3,806
My 2pin Trn B20s is now Crackling at 90% and 100%. Sounds fine at 80%. But this occurred suddenly turning them on.

Battery for both module reporting in as a blue led (fully charged)

I tried charging them again, still crackling at 90% and more. 80% very little but some.

I guess this is right in time to try the FiiO ones. Too bad those are mmcx. Maybe I should not have returned the Fostex, but they added a less cold tonality. The Trn did not change things.

Fiio seems just rebrand trn bt20s

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,691 of 3,806
Iirc CCA C12 has same stock cable?
The ZSN came with 2 different cables. the bronze cable that measures like 1 ohm, and the shiny copper one that measures 0.30 ohm. The shiny cable only came with the purple ZSN. Its a good cable.
Can be found here. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000300006084.html

I agree. That's exactly what I use with mine. Does this apply to the same cable but the type B variant?
They should measure the same yes. But I have not personally measured the B pin. Its a nice cable though. And $3 too.
kz copper.jpg

Dec 8, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,692 of 3,806
The ZSN came with 2 different cables. the bronze cable that measures like 1 ohm, and the shiny copper one that measures 0.30 ohm. The shiny cable only came with the purple ZSN. Its a good cable.

They should measure the same yes. But I have not personally measured the B pin. Its a nice cable though. And $3 too.

Agreed. Every time there’s a sale, I pick up a few of them.

I think they are extra stock/overstock, so they won’t be around forever. Just like the eBay guy that was selling 30 Starlines for $0.99. Ya gotta jump on that stuff while it’s still available :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #1,693 of 3,806

Wow! That cable looks nice! Should stock a couple when they're on sale just to be sure i have a bunch of "no-brainers" with every possible kind of connecting interface to iem.
BTW Waiting for a 16-core "pure copper" kbear QDC cable for blons and ba5. Interesting how it measures....

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,694 of 3,806
Wow! That cable looks nice! Should stock a couple when they're on sale just to be sure i have a bunch of "no-brainers" with every possible kind of connecting interface to iem.
BTW Waiting for a 16-core "pure copper" kbear QDC cable for blons and ba5. Interesting how it measures....

Just keep in mind that the KZ ZSN copper cable isn’t as thick or luxurious as an 8 or 16 core upgrade cable.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s by far the best stock KZ cable IMO. But it’s still thin and tangly (like all stock KZ cables, although not as bad).

Despite being a killer deal at $3, for a few dollars more ($7) you can get a 16 core TRN cable that is a higher tier of quality. Or even an 8 core CCA or KZ upgrade cable, which are about $6-$8.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #1,695 of 3,806

Just keep in mind that the KZ ZSN copper cable isn’t as thick or luxurious as an 8 or 16 core upgrade cable.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s by far the best stock KZ cable IMO. But it’s still thin and tangly (like all stock KZ cables, although not as bad).

Despite being a killer deal at $3, for a few dollars more ($7) you can get a 16 core TRN cable that is a higher tier of quality. Or even an 8 core CCA or KZ upgrade cable, which are about $6-$8.

Appreciate the KZ Cables.. best in Price and also Quality IMHO..can't ever go wrong with those..I have given up on the TRN cables after many disappointments with them...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back