Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Mar 13, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,276 of 1,725
Tripowin x HBB Olina impressions and comparison with Tanchjim Oxygen (Pt2, based on modded Olina with bonus LETSHUOER S12 comparison)

Olina_1.jpg

Context
This is the follow-up to the Pt1 of my impression (https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/tripowin-x-hbb-olina/32347/888), where I compared stock Olina with O2. In Pt2, I am comparing dual mesh mod Olina (modded Olina from now) against the O2. Thanks to Michael Bruce and Paul Wasabii for coming up with this mod and sharing the graphs (see below).

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.37.37.png

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.35.17.png

Preamble & Source
  • Driver configuration: Olina (CNT DD); O2 (CNT DD)
  • Source: Qudelix 5k (no EQ), Spotify (highest resolution)
  • Cable: Stock 3.5 mm SE for Olina; LETSHUOER S12 stock SE cable for the O2. Note: I used a cable splitter this time so I could rapidly A/B between the two sets
  • Eartips: kbear07 (aka AET07) for Olina; stock Aladdin tips for O2
  • Test playlist: Mix of jazz, classical, film scores, female & male vocals
  • Photos credited to me
Impressions
By this point, much more experienced reviewers than I have compared stock vs modded Olina (e.g., Michael Bruce, @nymz, @paulwasabii, @Tonytex_Teixeira, @tkddans ). IMHO, what sets my review apart is that I have a slightly warmer O2 on hand than the others. That being said, my main conclusions echo what has previously been said: modded Olina tames the treble peaks (e.g., female vocals less peaky and violins less metallic) and adds slightly more bass, but at the expense of a tiny amount of sparkle and detail (e.g., cymbals). I'm not very treble peak sensitive, and even stock Olina didn't cause me to wince, but that's also because I don't listen at high volume.

Detailed comparison between modded Olina and the O2

oxyen_pic2.jpg

Olina_4.jpg

Mountains, from Interstellar OST [Hans Zimmer]
Modded OlinaO2
2:20 and 2:55 - more bass than stock but still lacks rumble vs O2More bass, more body to notes, more bass extension, more rumble
3:00 - chorus is more present (imaging and layering) than O2
Slightly better resolution: clock ticks more distinct (first 30s and 2:06)

Mombasa, from Inception OST [Hans Zimmer]
Modded OlinaO2
0:16 - snare(?) drums better imaging and detail than O2Great heavy sounding hits from timpani during the first 13s still more authoritative than modded Olina

Winter 1, from Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
  • Modded Olina has bit more mid-bass than stock in first 60s
  • Violin still more metallic than O2 (01:00 to 01:30), but better than before and wouldn't say it's timbre is off, just a little more treble focussed than O2
  • 01:27 double basses come in, and there's sufficient bass emphasis, while still less rumble than O2. That being said, there's better separation of the double basses in the Olina, so I can hear the bow strokes
TAL, from similar & different [dal:um]; note I recently heard this live
Modded OlinaO2
Staging taller and deeperStill heavier note-weight
Higher notes not as thin as stock

Nowicaresomemore, from Day/Night [Parcels]
Modded OlinaO2
First 15s, there is a percussive instrument to the far left that is better imaged and better resolved in Olina than O2Bass still extends deeper in O2
Better staging than O201:09 - 01:12 deep subbass synth comes in, and the rumble is better on O2

My Same, from 19 [Adele]
Modded OlinaO2
Vocals no longer peaky, but cymbals have lost some of their sparkle (2 - 2:06)2:16-2:26 O2 now has some more evident vocal treble peaks than Olina

Stay Home, from Feast [PYJÆN]
Modded OlinaO2
Saxophone still sounds metallic at 01:06-01:24

Shuoer_S12_2.jpg
Bonus comparison between modded Olina and S12

I briefly compared my LETSHUOER S12 (stock cable, modded with Y4 filter on front vent) with modded Olina. Same source as above. Biggest differences:
  • Olina soundstage is much taller and deeper, possibly a little bit wider too. You can clearly understand why people say the S12 has width but not much depth or height (and it's supposed to be an improvement over the Timeless!)
  • Olina is almost as resolving as the S12
  • Notes almost sound faster (faster tempo) with the S12, but that's just an artefact of the fast decay from the planar driver. It's interesting because I prefer DD bass because it has more note-weight and more natural sound, but in busy tracks, the planar driver helps to differentiate notes more clearly with no bleed.
  • My modded S12 has much more mid-bass than Olina, although Olina has more sub-bass

Conclusion
At this point, I can confidently say that the modded Olina does the following better than the O2: better staging (often wider, taller, and deeper, but this is track dependent. See details below); at times more resolving (likely helped by better staging as well). On the other hand, the O2 still has better rumble and bass texture. I honestly don't have a preference between modded and stock Olina, because the mod didn't change the bass enough to match my O2. I am not saying that I prefer the O2 over the Olina - at this point, they really are comparable, and it comes down to preference: do I want a musical and warm set to use today (pick O2), or do I want to my head to be wrapped in music (pick Olina)? Now, I emphasise this again, my O2 seems to be a tad warmer set than others, so it could really be the case that some pick the Olina over the O2 due to its superior staging. I would still whole-heartedly recommend the Olina to anyone looking to purchase a single DD set, and would only recommend the O2 if they want the aesthetics, the nice weight to the IEMs, and possibly more bass.

Olina_9.jpg

As always, thanks for reading, and happy listening :)
Thanks for quoting me! It was nice to see a graphical comparison. I just do it by ear, so once in awhile it’s interesting for me to see how things measure in people’s rigs.

For some reason, the Oxygen came off to me as a lot warmer. I don’t know why after looking at how close the graphs look (and actually, how the Olina has a higher bass presence). Interesting!

Mar 13, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #1,277 of 1,725
For some reason, the Oxygen came off to me as a lot warmer. I don’t know why after looking at how close the graphs look (and actually, how the Olina has a higher bass presence). Interesting!
I'm in a similar boat - my O2 are (most likely) warmer than the set used by HBB, which is why I still hear more bass than even the modded Olina.
Psst:.. try one tanya damper vs 2 stock olina ones.
I actually don't know if I'd enjoy this mod - graphs suggest less bass than dual mesh mod?
I read your reply on YouTube saying Tanya filter might add more note-weight, so maybe I should try...I just don't wanna burn through all these filters haha

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,279 of 1,725
Mar 13, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,280 of 1,725
I can save mine most of the time, but sometimes the glue is super sticky and ends up tearing the fabrics. Regardless, I won't be using the stock dampers anymore...

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #1,281 of 1,725
I'm in a similar boat - my O2 are (most likely) warmer than the set used by HBB, which is why I still hear more bass than even the modded Olina.

I actually don't know if I'd enjoy this mod - graphs suggest less bass than dual mesh mod?
I read your reply on YouTube saying Tanya filter might add more note-weight, so maybe I should try...I just don't wanna burn through all these filters haha
Yeah more note weight. TBH I have absolutely no urge to get more bass out of them with the mod.. and im picky. I hear the Tanya filters having better balance between bass/midbass/mids/treble, and dual olina filters having slightly more of a V shape. Neither is bad, but you might prefer one over the other.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,282 of 1,725
For those interested, here's a pic showing O2/Tanya filter (blue strip) vs Olina (clear). Sorry I can't get higher magnification to get the mesh weave in detail
Oxygen_vs_Olina_filter.jpeg

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,284 of 1,725
where do u get these filters from?
My O2 came with a lot of spares. Sadly I couldn't find a reliable third-party vendor, so the cheapest option is to buy Tanyas, which uses the same filters and also comes with spares.

Mar 13, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,285 of 1,725
So I just hooked these up to my old original AK120. Really nice together. For me, the dual filter already has a bit more warmth/bass than optimal so I'm good. More would be a qualitative negative for my personal preferences so a more restrictive filter for that function wouldn't work for me. These already have more bass than the Kato or 02 that I had previously. I wonder if those that feel it's low are not getting a perfect seal. Not saying it's the case but I found the nozzle short enough that I needed to go with a larger tip than usual.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,287 of 1,725
So I just hooked these up to my old original AK120. Really nice together. For me, the dual filter already has a bit more warmth/bass than optimal so I'm good. More would be a qualitative negative for my personal preferences so a more restrictive filter for that function wouldn't work for me. These already have more bass than the Kato or 02 that I had previously. I wonder if those that feel it's low are not getting a perfect seal. Not saying it's the case but I found the nozzle short enough that I needed to go with a larger tip than usual.
The tanya filter actually adds in a hair of mids so now the bass seem slightly less, but overall it perfectly matches the O2.

Ha... Right on man. I'm pretty good about taking em off and if I screw it up... Oh well. First I have to get home to try it. I just figured the Tanya filters were damn near the same
Me too man, me too. *shakes head*

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,289 of 1,725
LOL. Im kind of interested to find out man. I should've thought of that.... Nice one
Im a bit upset it took me this long to figure out the obvious. Oh well, I guess the hard road is what I like to travel on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back