Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #1,261 of 1,725
damn i more like Olina now after mod wkwkwkkw. but i alrready roll all my tips, aet08, aet07, jvc spiral dot ++, kzstarline, kzstarline revised, cp145, sedna light reguler,
All SQ zonk or meh FOR me.

The Good SQ only 2 tips for : stock wide bore size M (i always use S size , 11mm) and tips stock from Aria M size too.

and maybe i will try with my other tips : Tanchjim t300b, and Final E clear version (more bight than black).

waiting my TA-cable Amber will arrive tomorrow. i hope can add more separation, detail. and staging more spacious

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003640614715.html

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #1,262 of 1,725
Wow....that is a very difficult question. For mids, timbre, especially for vocal music....the Olina. In general though the S12 sounds like every bit of music has more instruments, more life. Bass on the S12 is more realistic to how live bands sound, but the timbre/tone of the Olina is exceptional. I would say a 4-4 score draw.
agree olina timbre is more natural, s12 has more details/texture,more clarity and stronger bass that can be boosted without getting boomy as on olina but overall i prefer olina because i listen to a lot of talking head video where s12 makes human voices too bright and thin and olina with double filter mod make these voices natural meaty and warm

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #1,263 of 1,725
same for me could not get a seal in one of my ear with the included wide bore tips, i have a hard time finding tips that seal on olina as nozzle length is on the short side (not as bad as blon03 but one of the weak point of olina shell where i only get good seal with my longest tips). my tip to check if seal is good : i use https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/, set a low freq like 40hz and balance left to right to see if i get the same loudness right and left

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #1,264 of 1,725
agree olina timbre is more natural, s12 has more details/texture,more clarity and stronger bass that can be boosted without getting boomy as on olina. overall i prefer olina because i listen to a lot of talking head video where s12 makes human voices too bright and thin and olina with double filter mod make these voices natural meaty and warm
It's very close. I tend to go for the S12 instinctively. The Olina has wonderful mids, but having spent my younger and middle days going to various concerts, I find the S12 gives me that 'big', 'live' feel, with resonance, textures, drum skins, bass wound strings all sounding noticeably realistic. For much of the folk music I love and vocal orientated Jazz the Olina is beautiful, but for most of everything else that is more energetic the S12 is so true to live performance. A very special duo that are absolute keepers.

Mar 11, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,265 of 1,725
It's very close. I tend to go for the S12 instinctively. The Olina has wonderful mids, but having spent my younger and middle days going to various concerts, I find the S12 gives me that 'big', 'live' feel, with resonance, textures, drum skins, bass wound strings all sounding noticeably realistic. For much of the folk music I love and vocal orientated Jazz the Olina is beautiful, but for most of everything else that is more energetic the S12 is so true to live performance. A very special duo that are absolute keepers.
is there a more expensive iem that combine the best of these 2 (surnatural excitment of s12 and natural timbre of olina ?)

Mar 11, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #1,266 of 1,725
is there a more expensive iem that combine the best of these 2 (surnatural excitment of s12 and natural timbre of olina ?)
Not one that I have. To be honest, to have two IEMs that do everything I need is good enough for me. For less than £200 I have two IEMs that satisfy all my music pleasures. That two IEMs can do that is amazing. I'm waiting on the IMR EDP Ace and then I'll have a long rest from buying more IEMs.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #1,267 of 1,725
i can confirm one again that after using the olina for 7 hours sitting at my desk, 20 degrees C in the room, i notice my center image has shifted to the left because my right side volume is decreased by around 30% due to condensation on the mesh, not a deal killer as it returns to normal after 10 min drying close to my laptop fan pushing hot dry air but it is a bit annoying because sound must have started changing maybe 2 or 3 hours ago and i only notice now because it became too obvious
am i alone experiencing this problem when not doing physical activity or being in a hot temperature climate condition causing excessive sweating ?
would be curious to compare graphs of olina dry vs olina after 5 or 6 hours in a human ear

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,269 of 1,725
if anyone has the chance to compare the new Olina to nf audio na2+, or any of nf audios other offerings I would be very interested to know how they fare :)
i ever had NM2+. already Sold out again. Olina with double filter, fix better NM2+. : more dynamic, separation instriument and layering in busy track fix win by Olina, staging more spacious, 3d holographic imaging from Olina is great. mid and vocal more sweet Olina, more meety, micro and macro detail.

NM2+ too sharp, too bright, cold., more peak in treble, treble extension more than Olina. basically same energy, but Olina more proper.

cons Olina original without double filter : SHOUTY in medium to high volume.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #1,270 of 1,725
Double filter does the trick. A bit early but I could tell they needed more filter right out of the box. That said, I did not find them aggressive. Just forward in the upper mids/lower treble range. Without break in, I like these better that the oxygens I tried after mods. The Kato I had were slightly cleaner than the oxygen and maybe these but the Olina is right there with the double filter and the balance is pretty spot on except for the extra/rounder bass which is always a taste thing. I do feel the Kato gets blacker and has a better stock tune outside of it's extra pinna gain. Kato bass is less but closer to the character I prefer.

They have a bit more bass than I prefer and a bit rounder than optimum for me but likely a crowd pleaser. I have other filters on the way but this is really good in the upper ranges with the 2 filter mod. More amplitude there would not give more info and simply be less even sounding etc.

For those that want a tighter bass, put a piece of tape across the rear vent (by the connector) covering the opening to taste. Keep it more than 1/2 open. a filter of some sort would probably work there as well. That's where I'm at at a 1/2 hour of ownership. Guess I'll break them in now, LOL. I do believe in breakin so things will likely improve and the bass change some but I suspect this will be good since others have already been here.

Using an iBasso DX240 with local wav and flac files. 5 hours later and the filter mod with the rear post about 1/3rd restricted 2/3rds open is working for me.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #1,271 of 1,725
My Best Last FORMULA for Tripowin OLINA :

1. OLINA mod double filter. (to erase SHOUTY, bass more, more meety in mid and Vocal, less energetic & less extension at treble than Original, but Technicality and detail retrieval still there, sound stage sapacios, 3d holographic)
2. Eartips Azla Sedna Crystal (mid Vocal more sweet, intim, but not over forward, and not erase the meety, beefy in upper mid, staging still good)
3. For Cable, must try neutral, bright for upscale treble again like original, but without SHOUTY, but can make soundstage still spacious & 3D holographic
( and for what SQ i want cable like that, best for me : TA-cable Amber. 55usd. modular for all jack types. but if you want best budget for sound what i want try this :
Xinhs SPC 2 core, only 15usd. same with stock cable from Blon A8 Prometheus. )

for source :
i use smartphone with DAC dongle Ovidius B1,
or the best with DAC/amp Tri TK2.

for streaming music :
i only use spotify and apple premium.

THIS FORMULA is VERY FANTASTICO. EARGASM.

Best technicallity with great organic natural timbre, and best tonal, for All Around genre music !!! vocal sweet and treble are very delicious. with very proper Bass.

btw, i want TO ALL OF YOU GUYS HERE, esp about Olina. if you share pic or recomend the cable, pleased dont only share the pic. is nothing benefit for us. but share what make a difference od upscale from the cable , tips, and dac. esp cable.

ok. thanks

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #1,272 of 1,725
Man i get nothing, stock with

SednaEarfitLight great bass no mod​

Mar 13, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #1,273 of 1,725
12 hours later, these have evened out some with more extended and open highs. Bass is also more linear. Closer to what I personally prefer and better delineated so I removed the tape from the rear port. I'll revisit in a another day or 2 after these stop changing but the bass is likely fine as stock for almost everyone including myself :relaxed: . Stock cable and switched to some Spinfits which brings up the mids a touch which I like. This nozzle is easier to deal with than an Oxygen but still short enough that I'm using slightly larger tips. That said, they stay in place and are very comfortable.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #1,274 of 1,725
Tripowin x HBB Olina impressions and comparison with Tanchjim Oxygen (Pt2, based on modded Olina with bonus LETSHUOER S12 comparison)

Olina_1.jpg

Context
This is the follow-up to the Pt1 of my impression (https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/tripowin-x-hbb-olina/32347/888), where I compared stock Olina with O2. In Pt2, I am comparing dual mesh mod Olina (modded Olina from now) against the O2. Thanks to Michael Bruce and Paul Wasabii for coming up with this mod and sharing the graphs (see below).

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.37.37.png

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 11.35.17.png

Preamble & Source
  • Driver configuration: Olina (CNT DD); O2 (CNT DD)
  • Source: Qudelix 5k (no EQ), Spotify (highest resolution)
  • Cable: Stock 3.5 mm SE for Olina; LETSHUOER S12 stock SE cable for the O2. Note: I used a cable splitter this time so I could rapidly A/B between the two sets
  • Eartips: kbear07 (aka AET07) for Olina; stock Aladdin tips for O2
  • Test playlist: Mix of jazz, classical, film scores, female & male vocals
  • Photos credited to me
Impressions
By this point, much more experienced reviewers than I have compared stock vs modded Olina (e.g., Michael Bruce, @nymz, @paulwasabii, @Tonytex_Teixeira, @tkddans ). IMHO, what sets my review apart is that I have a slightly warmer O2 on hand than the others. That being said, my main conclusions echo what has previously been said: modded Olina tames the treble peaks (e.g., female vocals less peaky and violins less metallic) and adds slightly more bass, but at the expense of a tiny amount of sparkle and detail (e.g., cymbals). I'm not very treble peak sensitive, and even stock Olina didn't cause me to wince, but that's also because I don't listen at high volume.

Detailed comparison between modded Olina and the O2

oxyen_pic2.jpg

Olina_4.jpg

Mountains, from Interstellar OST [Hans Zimmer]
Modded OlinaO2
2:20 and 2:55 - more bass than stock but still lacks rumble vs O2More bass, more body to notes, more bass extension, more rumble
3:00 - chorus is more present (imaging and layering) than O2
Slightly better resolution: clock ticks more distinct (first 30s and 2:06)

Mombasa, from Inception OST [Hans Zimmer]
Modded OlinaO2
0:16 - snare(?) drums better imaging and detail than O2Great heavy sounding hits from timpani during the first 13s still more authoritative than modded Olina

Winter 1, from Recomposed By Max Richter: Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
  • Modded Olina has bit more mid-bass than stock in first 60s
  • Violin still more metallic than O2 (01:00 to 01:30), but better than before and wouldn't say it's timbre is off, just a little more treble focussed than O2
  • 01:27 double basses come in, and there's sufficient bass emphasis, while still less rumble than O2. That being said, there's better separation of the double basses in the Olina, so I can hear the bow strokes
TAL, from similar & different [dal:um]; note I recently heard this live
Modded OlinaO2
Staging taller and deeperStill heavier note-weight
Higher notes not as thin as stock

Nowicaresomemore, from Day/Night [Parcels]
Modded OlinaO2
First 15s, there is a percussive instrument to the far left that is better imaged and better resolved in Olina than O2Bass still extends deeper in O2
Better staging than O201:09 - 01:12 deep subbass synth comes in, and the rumble is better on O2

My Same, from 19 [Adele]
Modded OlinaO2
Vocals no longer peaky, but cymbals have lost some of their sparkle (2 - 2:06)2:16-2:26 O2 now has some more evident vocal treble peaks than Olina

Stay Home, from Feast [PYJÆN]
Modded OlinaO2
Saxophone still sounds metallic at 01:06-01:24

Shuoer_S12_2.jpg

Bonus comparison between modded Olina and S12

I briefly compared my LETSHUOER S12 (stock cable, modded with Y4 filter on front vent) with modded Olina. Same source as above. Biggest differences:
  • Olina soundstage is much taller and deeper, possibly a little bit wider too. You can clearly understand why people say the S12 has width but not much depth or height (and it's supposed to be an improvement over the Timeless!)
  • Olina is almost as resolving as the S12
  • Notes almost sound faster (faster tempo) with the S12, but that's just an artefact of the fast decay from the planar driver. It's interesting because I prefer DD bass because it has more note-weight and more natural sound, but in busy tracks, the planar driver helps to differentiate notes more clearly with no bleed.
  • My modded S12 has much more mid-bass than Olina, although Olina has more sub-bass

Conclusion
At this point, I can confidently say that the modded Olina does the following better than the O2: better staging (often wider, taller, and deeper, but this is track dependent. See details below); at times more resolving (likely helped by better staging as well). On the other hand, the O2 still has better rumble and bass texture. I honestly don't have a preference between modded and stock Olina, because the mod didn't change the bass enough to match my O2. I am not saying that I prefer the O2 over the Olina - at this point, they really are comparable, and it comes down to preference: do I want a musical and warm set to use today (pick O2), or do I want to my head to be wrapped in music (pick Olina)? Now, I emphasise this again, my O2 seems to be a tad warmer set than others, so it could really be the case that some pick the Olina over the O2 due to its superior staging. I would still whole-heartedly recommend the Olina to anyone looking to purchase a single DD set, and would only recommend the O2 if they want the aesthetics, the nice weight to the IEMs, and possibly more bass.

Olina_9.jpg

As always, thanks for reading, and happy listening :)

Attachments

• Olina_10.jpg
    Olina_10.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back