Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #721 of 1,725
Can you expand on it a little bit more, I mean timbre, you mean it has a greater treble extension? It appears so. What about the low end, has it better impact and speed? I was slightly dissapointed by EJ07m low end, sure quantity is there but I felt there was a lack of impact and speed for me at least compared to my beloved Fiio FH7, also the bass felt sort of bloomy. And what about soundstage has it more air and vocals sound further? Thanks!

Treble extention regards tonality, not timbre. Other that, dynamics and techs are better on EJ07m, including stage, as 07m holographic stage has insanely good presentation. Low end is better on EJ as well, as it has way more impact. I've never heard fh7, but most of people i know that had it (especially prog metalheads) converted to 07m dynamics, taking it over fh7. Most need tanya filters tho, due to resonance peaks of that short nozzle (i used them as well, but my pair is in china as we speak for a resin reshell).

Treble elevation and extension is better on Olina, yes.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #722 of 1,725
Treble extention regards tonality, not timbre. Other that, dynamics and techs are better on EJ07m, including stage, as 07m holographic stage has insanely good presentation. Low end is better on EJ as well, as it has way more impact. I've never heard fh7, but most of people i know that had it (especially prog metalheads) converted to 07m dynamics, taking it over fh7. Most need tanya filters tho, due to resonance peaks of that short nozzle (i used them as well, but my pair is in china as we speak for a resin reshell).

Treble elevation and extension is better on Olina, yes.
Thanks. Don't know, perhaps I didn't let them to burn in properly, as I said it lacks some speed for me, FH7 has beryllium coated DD maybe that is the answer. Mine too is in China, reshelling it as well but for a different reasons, doing some retuning in the treble area, going for a lift by a few dB. Regards the fit, didn't have any problems, heard no resonance peaks.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #724 of 1,725
Some photos for those who are unable to make time for a 4,800 word review:

Packaging 2.jpg
Buds 1.jpg
Buds 4.jpg

Packaging 11.jpg
Packaging 14.jpg

Buds 11.jpg
Buds 14.jpg
Fit.jpg

Frequency response.png

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #725 of 1,725
Some photos for those who are unable to make time for a 4,800 word review:

Packaging 2.jpg Buds 1.jpg Buds 4.jpg
Packaging 11.jpg Packaging 14.jpg
Buds 11.jpg Buds 14.jpg Fit.jpg

Frequency response.png
I'm just digging into the review now - thanks so much for this!!

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #727 of 1,725
Yesterday I shared a sneak peak of what I'm writting down about Olina on its official thread. Might as well leave it here for folks to have an idea. Hope you enjoy it.

Test Tracks:​

(…)

Lorde - Still Sane

Lorde’s vocals are forward and the background pane goes from left to right, very dynamic. You can pick up most of the details while the presentation keeps flashing sounds from left to right. Once the chorus comes in, around 1:37, the back vocals just surround you, immersing you in the experience, while the treble extension takes care of far away sparkles. Vocals might be a step too forward, but they feel natural and every note has weight, like Lorde is singing in the mic with an arm around your shoulder while the universe is throwing sounds at you at the same time. I loved the presentation, so I had to include this track here, as it shows how great Tripowin’s set works well with vocals followed by sparkly sounds on good stages.

Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi, the four seasons - Summer 1

Chords instruments have great timbre and together with the detail and imaging, make this track a blast. >The treble is just enough to feel present, borderline too much, but never crossing that line, even at louder levels. As the song reaches its climax, background instruments get more and more prominent, which Olina keeps separating with class, showing good dynamics. The best adjective I can think of is effortless. The sound is just effortless, the track just flows.

Snarkly Puppy - Tio macaco

This is a great track to show the display of Olina’s technical abilities in a nutshell. The whole song is just enjoyable and rich. And then you reach around 4:05, and the imaging, separation, stage, detail and air just kick in, throwing at you a true display of skill on percussion instruments, making you get up from your chair, close your eyes, forget you have iems on and just join the freestyle jam. Try it if you can, I beg you.

(…)

Technicalities​

Imaging: Snarkly puppy - Shofukan

Starting at 5 minutes and 19 seconds, you can clearly see how Olina’s imaging get to work. Perfect drum rolls, pin-point style, fast and clear, with texture and detail.

Details: Nils Fraham - My Friend in the Forest

Olina’s detail level is above average. One characteristic I love the most on a set is its ability to give me mid range details. Nils’ keystrokes just sound intimate and detailed, like we are there, without being. Throughout the track this keeps going while the notes just float. A great record for a great set.

(…)

bc18971769e99b278c6d6899b607362cd8cd671c.jpeg

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #728 of 1,725
I wonder what effect switching MELE (OCC) cable with Olina (SPC) cable would produce?

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #731 of 1,725

There are some substancial differences between Oxygen and Olina frequency response graphs.
Just FYI, there are reports of Oxygen units that have more sub-bass than others. Precog and MRS FR graphs (when judged in comparison to other IEMs from their respective squig libraries) appear to have the bassier units than HBB and Crinacle. Paul Wasabii has measured two sets, and you can see a minor difference (~2 dB) in the sub-bass region (https://pw.squig.link/?share=PaulWa...ygen,Tanchjim_Oxygen_Set2,Tripowin_X_HBB_Mele).

So it is entirely likely that HBB tuned the Olina based on his Oxygen, which just happens to be (due to unit variance most likely), different to precog's Oxygen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back