Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #736 of 1,725
Yesterday I shared a sneak peak of what I'm writting down about Olina on its official thread. Might as well leave it here for folks to have an idea. Hope you enjoy it.

bc18971769e99b278c6d6899b607362cd8cd671c.jpeg
Can you name an IEM with similar detail retrieval as the Olina? Thanks.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #737 of 1,725
I guess because kato is usually compared with Hana 2021 and oxygen is considered a little better than Hana.. so ... mathematically:
If Kato=Hana ==> O2=Olina>Hana ==> Olina > Kato :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Had both Kato and O2. Tuning preference aside, Kato was the marginally more accomplished device. Just seemed slightly more resolved when given a better source. May sound the other way with lesser sources and the slightly elevate treble of the O2. This coming from someone that actually prefers the less warm O2 tuning. That said, they were close enough. I suspect those that already owned O2 were used to it and found matchups that worked well so ultimately preferred it to Kato used with same. Sold both and will try Olina. May keep it to cut the lawn or on the go when I don't want to be careful, etc. I also own S8, EE Spartan and other more costly things. I was/am just curious at the current state of moderate ChiFi and like the idea of owning a single DD. :relaxed:

I won't like it as much as Kato but that's fine at this price and expected performance. I know HBB compared the Kato to O2 and felt otherwise but if there was ever a cause for tuning bias (not claiming anything intentional here) that preference would be an obvious one since he'd have been working with the O2/Olina expectations when he got the Kato. I may have some as well (don't we all) though my preference wasn't in regards to tuning. I actually preferred the brass filter even though I found the Kato a bit too warm overall as it evened out the mids a bit. I found O2 was less refined up top and Kato a little cleaner overall but to a very minor degree.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #738 of 1,725
Just FYI, there are reports of Oxygen units that have more sub-bass than others. Precog and MRS FR graphs (when judged in comparison to other IEMs from their respective squig libraries) appear to have the bassier units than HBB and Crinacle. Paul Wasabii has measured two sets, and you can see a minor difference (~2 dB) in the sub-bass region (https://pw.squig.link/?share=PaulWa...ygen,Tanchjim_Oxygen_Set2,Tripowin_X_HBB_Mele).

So it is entirely likely that HBB tuned the Olina based on his Oxygen, which just happens to be (due to unit variance most likely), different to precog's Oxygen.
This shows about -3db less subbass and up to +4db more treble, combined there's a significant tilt towards being brighter, that's way beyond unit variation. Other reviewers measurements should be able to confirm if that's the case or not.

Feb 11, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #739 of 1,725
Since this isn't the Kato thread, I'll complain for a moment. Moondrop never ever tunes in enough bass, same thing here. (ON KATO). Olina/Mele is great in the bass area.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #740 of 1,725
man i hope not. I don't want to be dissapointed.

Feb 11, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #741 of 1,725
This shows about -3db less subbass and up to +4db more treble, combined there's a significant tilt towards being brighter, that's way beyond unit variation. Other reviewers measurements should be able to confirm if that's the case or not.
Sub bass has been explained and this shows a much closer high frequency.

Feb 11, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #743 of 1,725
Feb 11, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #745 of 1,725
Since Im actually listening to them, it doesnt. O2 has more bass and more subbass by a bit.
Maybe you have one of the odd batch of O2 that had more. I also had both and can verify the opposite with the pairs I had. Mine sounded just like the measurements I linked. Not saying this is your case but unclean screens can do that as well.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #747 of 1,725
Maybe you have one of the odd batch of O2 that had more. I also had both and can verify the opposite with the pairs I had. Mine sounded just like the measurements I linked. Not saying this is your case but unclean screens can do that as well.
Freakin odd man! I have Kato right here and the bass is low. I tried both of the bore tips.. no change. Dunno whats going on here, but looking around graphs are not jiving.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #748 of 1,725
I also have Oxygen (bought in Oct 2021), and it has a lot of sub-bass, more than S12 stock, and less than the Mele. Without measuring my unit, I'd guess it's closer to Precog's than HBB's O2 graph

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #750 of 1,725
scary to see such a huge unit variation, i expected it from entry level $15 iems, which cannot afford QC due to razor thin margins but nor from $100+ iems
eh, Guess you haven't heard of the Campfire Vs. Crincale fiasco

Nothing surprising here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back