Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
May 13, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #1,606 of 1,725
Hey guys, is there a master thread on tips here? Can't seem to find it. I want to vent my frustration with Softears tips there :)

May 13, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #1,607 of 1,725
May 13, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #1,608 of 1,725
If anyone is interested, i am selling my barely used Olina set on the AVexchange on Reddit. Im not allowed to post here yet since i haven't been very active in the forums. Hopefully that changes today and i can finally put them up on the Classifieds here lol

May 15, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,609 of 1,725
I’ve been looking for an upgrade to my KZ ZS10 Pro and the Timeless, S12, Mele and Olina keep coming up. The early comments in this topic regarding the Mele performance for Avenged Sevenfold almost had me sold but I’m a little confused, is the Olina an upgrade to the Mele or with its slightly lower bass is the Mele better for rock? Is the S12 worth nearly double the price of the Olina or is a modded Olina what I’m after?

O que está procurando - tenho o ZS10 Pro e KZ x CRN, prefiro o ajuste em forma de V do ZS10 Pro mas aprecio a melhor clareza do CRN. O CRN é um ajuste mais confortável. Quero algo excitante e divertido para ouvir ao invés de referência. Eu escuto principalmente rock (vinnged sevenfold, shinedown, halestorm para citar alguns exemplos), mas com bom palco sonoro e separação. Quero sentir que estou ouvindo um programa ao vivo. Deve ser um upgrade notável dos KZ's. A Olina é a escolha certa?

Minha volta para a pista de testes no momento é chuva de ácido Avenged Sevenfolds. Como é o baixo rumble no início. Como está o palco? A introdução do baixo constrói e passa por cima da cabeça? Os instrumentos estão claramente separados ou perdidos no baixo? Os vocais estão para frente? Bem no final como é o efeito da chuva, estou na chuva ou olhando para ele?

Alguém ajuda antes de eu comprar algo que pode ou não estar certo?

A fonte é um Sony NW-A105 / Topping NX1S amp.

I’ve been looking for an upgrade to my KZ ZS10 Pro and the Timeless, S12, Mele and Olina keep coming up. The early comments in this topic regarding the Mele performance for Avenged Sevenfold almost had me sold but I’m a little confused, is the Olina an upgrade to the Mele or with its slightly lower bass is the Mele better for rock? Is the S12 worth nearly double the price of the Olina or is a modded Olina what I’m after?

O que estou procurando - tenho o ZS10 Pro e KZ x CRN, prefiro o ajuste em forma de V do ZS10 Pro mas aprecio a melhor clareza do CRN. O CRN é um ajuste mais confortável. Quero algo excitante e divertido para ouvir ao invés de referência. Eu escuto principalmente rock (vinnged sevenfold, shinedown, halestorm para citar alguns exemplos), mas com bom palco sonoro e separação. Quero sentir que estou ouvindo um programa ao vivo. Deve ser um upgrade notável dos KZ's. A Olina é a escolha certa?

Minha volta para a pista de testes no momento é chuva de ácido Avenged Sevenfolds. Como é o baixo rumble no início. Como está o palco? A introdução do baixo constrói e passa por cima da cabeça? Os instrumentos estão claramente separados ou perdidos no baixo? Os vocais estão para frente? Bem no final como é o efeito da chuva, estou na chuva ou olhando para ele?

Alguém ajude antes de eu comprar algo que pode ou não estar certo?

A fonte é a Sony NW-A105 / Topping NX1S amp.
I haven't heard olina but for ASF Mele and Vesper are great. mele more all round and vesper better, but not so good all round

May 19, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #1,610 of 1,725
Hello,
I want to mention couple notes befor my question:
-I don't have olina
-i'm newbie
So, as far as i know that olina mods (Tanya or double stock filters) have minor impact on FR graph (couple dbs on bass and minus couple dbs on upper mids) so,
what is the point of modding over eq-ing it with good parametric eq with bit-perfect mode like neutron?
Is it only convenience so i don't have to eq every device i use my iem with ?
Or there is sound qualities that don't appear on FR graph ?
Thanks.

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #1,614 of 1,725
Ordered the Olina after much debate. Should be a worthy upgrade to my ZS10 Pro and my first venture into none KZ IEM’s. Suspect I’ll end up doing the dual damper mod but will try them stock first.
what you'll notice first on olina coming from zs10 pro is now much more natural human voice sound (zs10 pro has a artificial metallic trebble boost that makes human voices chesty and nosy).
you will also notice that zs10 pro has deeper bass but dual damper mod on olina ( or even front vent mod that has a bit less bass but more details ) will help closing a bit the gap.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,616 of 1,725
Hello,
-I don't have olina
-i'm newbie
So, as far as i know that olina mods (Tanya or double stock filters) have minor impact on FR graph (couple dbs on bass and minus couple dbs on upper mids) so,
what is the point of modding over eq-ing it with good parametric eq with bit-perfect mode like neutron?
Thanks.
Modding does more for resonance control at higher frequencies and damping factor on the bass. Transducer frequency response is often confused with overall goodness. Phase, distortion, resonance, damping, group delay etc don't show up in response curves. That said, 2 of those will not be problematic in a single driver IEM. I generally avoid EQ since I find I can hear the circuits or included buffers etc in my better kit but no need to be that anal with a $99 device. :relaxed:

I sound like a broken record but just get these in the 4.5mm + 250r value, put one on the front vent and one on the nozzle and call it a day. Less than $5 for 20. You'll need to copy and paste this link:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802688722911.html

I tried a bunch if iterations and found this the best compromise, for me, and I've had custom and kilobuck IEMs. JH13fp, Andros, PP8s, EEs, S8 etc.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #1,617 of 1,725
Hello,
-I don't have olina
-i'm newbie
Thanks.
there must be sound qualities that dont appear on a FR graph because everyone who tried both olina and oxygen confirm that they sound different eventhough freq graph are really close, as in today's olina review : the counter example to that is a guy who equed by ear 5 completely different headphone to the same frequency response and i cannot hear any difference between the 5 flac recordings :

Jun 27, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,618 of 1,725
there must be sound qualities that dont appear on a FR graph because everyone who tried both olina and oxygen confirm that they sound different eventhough freq graph are really close, as in today's olina review : the counter example to that is a guy who equed by ear 5 completely different headphone to the same frequency response and i cannot hear any difference between the 5 flac recordings :

I'm a firm believer that FR can never be the total picture when playing actual music. Specifically, I don't see how it can capture a driver's speed and ability to keep up with fast passages in music or capture it's dynamic range, these aspects will have a direct affect on how actual music is perceived.

As for the flac videos, I didn't watch it but I could believe that it would be hard to differentiate between them however having watched a lot of demk videos on YouTube I find that what you hear isn't really what the headphone sounds like in person. I'm sure a lot of audible qualities are lost in transmission there. I have yet to EQ two IEMs to the same FR and have them sound the same.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #1,620 of 1,725
there must be sound qualities that dont appear on a FR graph because everyone who tried both olina and oxygen confirm that they sound different [...]

Olina indeed has a more open sound than Oxygen which leads to a more exciting signature overall!

Olina

Oxygen

You've already conclude yourself that FR is not all.

For example most EST driven IEMs have much less treble on graph. However we all know that the reality looks completely different :k701smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back