TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 13, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #4,951 of 24,683
I see someone jumped in with an excellent review before I could complete my punchline and review.
Although that only makes it funnier (to me. I amuse myself, even if no one else)
tongue.gif

It reminded me that I omitted to mention that I too listened to the Hunter!
The Delta V2's were next. I found these slightly bass-light (only slightly!), but I think I used the non-bassy filters, and was in too much of a hurry to hear the other more expensive IEMs waiting patiently in front of me :p  However, they did impress me overall with their general sound and clarity.

Sabres were next. Up until this point, I was enjoying myself but not, you know, blown away.
But I listened to the Sabres with the neutral/natural sounding gunmetal filters and was immediately entranced.
I do like a good strong and present bass, and the push-pull driver configuration delivered this powerfully, but without ever unbalancing the sound or bleeding into the mids.
This also meant that I could freely use the neutral/bass-light filters without losing the kind of bass I love and, even better, being able to enjoy terrific clarity and detail in the mids.

The M6 have a lot of potential, but since they were an unfinished demo set, not yet tweaked to Bob's satisfaction, I wouldn't really like to comment. (and I only heard them with the first filter that Jon Parker above commented didn't work for him in the current unfinished tuning).
Based on my listening to the Sabre and Delta V2, and the M4's description as "a Delta V2 on steroids" (and the fact that it and the M6 both contain the same push-pull dual driver configuration as the Sabres, plus bonus Balanced Armature goodness), I think the M4 and M6 are both going to be superb.
To listen to the Sabres, with their excellent bass, great mids, treble and clarity, and then imagine adding the effect of balanced armatures into the mix too...
well.. The classic Shakespearean quote rings out again: "alas poor wallet; I knew him well"
biggrin.gif

Finally, I listened to the Hunters. They were astonishingly good!
I can only reiterate what Jon Parker above described so eloquently; they have a beautiful natural sounding presentation. Great music from a quality source just sounds even better.
As he said, nothing particularly stands out (aside from excellent retrieval of detail) in the sound signature, but it all just sounds so..RIGHT
beyersmile.png

Hearing is believing lol.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #4,952 of 24,683
Another point I should add - I was VERY impressed with the different tonal qualities the filters gave
Other filter rich IEM's have left me a little dissapointed in recent times -
The few Trinity filters I tried added
a unique difference to the overall tonal qualities of the sound -
Im back to that feeling of maturity and professional tuning. There are fair few iems out there now that
offer different tuning but they often seema bit crude to me.
You often a BIG bass option or BIG sparkly treble but what makes the difference 
between good audio and great audio is found in the subtleties.
The filters  that i tried made an audible difference BUT in a way that was subtle but Right.
Its hard to explain but when mastering audio for example, sometimes you apply various
processes and everything just sounds 'right' 
You know its 'right' because there is an immediate emotional connection with that audio
Anyway, I very much got that impression from the filters, they are tuned very very well

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #4,953 of 24,683

Finally, I listened to the Hunters. They were astonishingly good!
; they have a beautiful natural sounding presentation. Great music from a quality source just sounds even better.
As he said, nothing particularly stands out (aside from excellent retrieval of detail) in the sound signature, but it all just sounds so..RIGHT
beyersmile.png

Hearing is believing lol.

Im glad you mentioned that :) - I forgot to mention the beautifully perfect detail retrieval - you know why? Because it IS so good you can almost forget its there o_0 
Its weird - nothing stands out because everything stands in its beautifully neutral & balanced, yet thoroughly engaging place - It reminds me of listening to a musician playing live music in a perfectly acoustic room - Nothing would really grab you because your heart would just be so 'IN' the music.
I guess its rare to hear a headphone that is so well done, all its qualities disappear and you are left with a true representation of the emotive expression of the music.
For these reasons its kinda tricky to explain the sound signature but your 100% right they need to heard . . .  which I guess is the whole point of canjam :wink: 

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #4,954 of 24,683

Im glad you mentioned that :) - I forgot to mention the beautifully perfect detail retrieval - you know why? Because it IS so good you can almost forget its there o_0 

Yes, I actually forgot to mention something.
Having commendably intended to make a playlist specially for testing and comparing equipment at CanJam, and having lamentably failed to do so, I stuck with a few random FLAC tracks on my DAP, chosen because two had powerful bass (Chevelle: Point #1 and Maroon 5: This Love), one lacked bass (Counting Crows: American Girls), and two were beautiful acoustic numbers (Hobotalk: Walks With Me, Deacon Blue: Cover From The Sky). And, more importantly, they just happened to appear in a row in my randomised playlist
tongue.gif

Anyway, I was listening to the Sabres when the Counting Crows song came on, and I was thinking "what's that weird jittery sound that's appearing at the start??". Then I realised I was just hearing the cymbals/high hat at a level of detail, clarity and separation that I'd never heard before
basshead.gif

Cheers Bob
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #4,955 of 24,683
Thanks guys! Any comment on the soundstage and imaging of the M6/Hunter? Being show conditions it might not be optimum but hey you guys got the scoop!

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #4,957 of 24,683

Proof that i'll never make it as photographer : 
rolleyes.gif

I was the first at Bob's table which gave me more time than others i started with the PM6 with my QP1R .
Coming from the Dunu dn-2002 on my train journey it took about 10 minutes to get used to a totally different sound signature.
General impression : very good !
 To quote @jon parker :  'reference'   'balanced'   'neutral'   'wonderful' .
The hunter improved on those qualities , but after going back and forth and even returing after a couple of hours , combined with the honest advice from Bob , i decided to stick with the PM6.
In Bob i trust !
beerchug.gif

Both the hunter and PM6 are very comfy , but for the sound production you would forget you're wearing them !
In short : i'm very happy with my preorder of the PM6 !
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #4,959 of 24,683
i am so sorry to ask about this again but

how long do we still have to pre-order the PM6?

Previously it was said around the time of can jam, but also it was said after some reviewers get to publish the impressions (that did not happen yet except the can jam sessions - or did i miss it?). I am so impressed with the sabre i decided to catch em all! so i sold some stuff and the money is coming in soon. just hope i can make it in time :D

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4,960 of 24,683
  ordered phantom master 4 yesterday, eagerly waiting for them. thanks head fi for the discounted price.

I believe you mean thanks Bob for the discount he's so graciously extending to Head-Fi members
wink.gif
. He could just as easily not have created that discount system and netted a bit more profit. But he clearly values customer service more and it pays dividends as it's proven a good way for him to get loyal customers so far.

Previously it was said around the time of can jam, but also it was said after some reviewers get to publish the impressions. I am so impressed with the sabre i decided to catch em all! so i sold some stuff and the money is coming in soon. just hope i can make it in time :D

I think I saw somewhere in the thread it was supposed to go to the 15th? But maybe Bob's changed his mind and is going to extend it a little to give reviewers a little more time to give impressions. I guess you'll have to wait until he gets back from CanJam to answer that question

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #4,961 of 24,683
  I believe you mean thanks Bob for the discount he's so graciously extending to Head-Fi members
wink.gif
. He could just as easily not have created that discount system and netted a bit more profit. But he clearly values customer service more and it pays dividends as it's proven a good way for him to get loyal customers so far.

I think I saw somewhere in the thread it was supposed to go to the 15th? But maybe Bob's changed his mind and is going to extend it a little to give reviewers a little more time to give impressions. I guess you'll have to wait until he gets back from CanJam to answer that question

Thanks a ton. I just don't want to wake up tomorrow and realize it's gone. I would kick myself for that :D

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #4,962 of 24,683

Previously it was said around the time of can jam, but also it was said after some reviewers get to publish the impressions (that did not happen yet except the can jam sessions - or did i miss it?). I am so impressed with the sabre i decided to catch em all! so i sold some stuff and the money is coming in soon. just hope i can make it in time :D

Once he pulls the pre-order it'll go up on Kickstarter, it'll cost you a tad more and you might get it a bit later so I wouldn't worry too much. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,965 of 24,683

Thanks a ton. I just don't want to wake up tomorrow and realize it's gone. I would kick myself for that :D

wink.gif

yes... of course, thanks to bob for extending a discount on an already discounted price. my brain's all scrambled up with typhoid.

p.s. sorry if i have spammed with my earlier reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back