TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #24,421 of 24,683
Is the emphasis on sub- or mid-bass? I love sub-bass but really dislike mid-bass. How close to a basshead level are they? I'm not a true basshead but I like my low-end extended with some really solid presence.
The sub-bass is very good with excellent texture and tonality. Orchestral bass instruments carry good weight and impact. The transient response is fast. It transitions into the mid-bass very smoothly. Applying an EQ (I have tried the bass boost on my Fiio A5) gives a very powerful low end, too much for me but I dare say bassheads would enjoy it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #24,422 of 24,683
The sub-bass is very good with excellent texture and tonality. Orchestral bass instruments carry good weight and impact. The transient response is fast. It transitions into the mid-bass very smoothly.
Not really what I asked.

Applying an EQ (I have tried the bass boost on my Fiio A5) gives a very powerful low end, too much for me but I dare say bassheads would enjoy it.
I never said anything about an equalizer.

Thanks anyway...

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #24,423 of 24,683
Not really what I asked.
I never said anything about an equalizer.

Thanks anyway...
In a nutshell, you asked for quantity, both in overall terms, but also in terms of proportion of sub-bass compared to mid-bass? It seemed to me like you already considered that the bass quality was there, but was unsure of the quantity and proportional skew.
@Nimweth, maybe you could give some more detail on quantities of sub-bass and mid-bass and amount of each, rather than the interactive quality response between them?

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #24,424 of 24,683
Damn it...i am back on this topic for a simple reason, by chance (incredibly in a trip) i had the chance to try the IMR R1 and its really good, much better than the hunter and than my PM6 and the Dunu 3001. I am jealous now.

Good to see ppl receiving their PM6, it doesnt disappoint.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #24,425 of 24,683
In a nutshell, you asked for quantity, both in overall terms, but also in terms of proportion of sub-bass compared to mid-bass? It seemed to me like you already considered that the bass quality was there, but was unsure of the quantity and proportional skew.
Yes to both. I assume the bass quality is good enough based on the comments I've read. However, it isn't clear exactly what kind of bass the DC1 has, because some headphones have the entire bass range boosted evenly, others have good sub-bass but with mid-bass still being the more dominant one, etc.).

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #24,426 of 24,683
Yes to both. I assume the bass quality is good enough based on the comments I've read. However, it isn't clear exactly what kind of bass the DC1 has, because some headphones have the entire bass range boosted evenly, others have good sub-bass but with mid-bass still being the more dominant one, etc.).
Hello
I'm sorry if my answer wasn't clear. The DC1 has a good quantity of sub-bass. There is no mid-bass "hump" which is prevalent in many ill-tuned IEMs, the mid-bass is in proportion to the rest of the range. I would say the sub-bass is slightly north of neutral with the mid-bass fairly flat. The bass does extend deeply giving the low end lots of power and reproducing ambience very well. I hope this helps.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #24,427 of 24,683
Hello
I'm sorry if my answer wasn't clear. The DC1 has a good quantity of sub-bass. There is no mid-bass "hump" which is prevalent in many ill-tuned IEMs, the mid-bass is in proportion to the rest of the range. I would say the sub-bass is slightly north of neutral with the mid-bass fairly flat. The bass does extend deeply giving the low end lots of power and reproducing ambience very well. I hope this helps.
Yes, this is indeed much more helpful. Thank you.
However, that "slightly" in "the sub-bass is slightly north of neutral" makes me worried that the boost in sub-bass may still not be enough for me. I may not be a proper basshead but I'm also farm from an audiophile either.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #24,428 of 24,683
However, that "slightly" in "the sub-bass is slightly north of neutral" makes me worried that the boost in sub-bass may still not be enough for me. I may not be a proper basshead but I'm also farm from an audiophile either.
Perhaps it would help if I say that the quality of the sub-bass derives more from its extension than from its level. By the way, I only mentioned an EQ in my earlier post because of your "bassheads" reference.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #24,429 of 24,683

What gear do you already have and like? I looked at your profile and there is nothing listed. Sometimes that can help when others are trying to help you. I have the DC1 and love it. It's not that expensive...certainly not compared to other iems that have been mentioned. Maybe you should just get it and see what you think?

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #24,430 of 24,683
Perhaps it would help if I say that the quality of the sub-bass derives more from its extension than from its level. By the way, I only mentioned an EQ in my earlier post because of your "bassheads" reference.
I do find the sub-bass perfectly satisfying, even with tracks such as "The Flow of Time's Arrow" from Thousand Star" by Jonn Serrie, a space music piece with subterranean bass. "Music from the Sky" by Kiraly & Crevier also rumbles nicely and I don't know of a track with deeper bass than this. I would say the DC1 sound borders on an "audiophile" tuning with a bit more impact.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #24,431 of 24,683
What gear do you already have and like? I looked at your profile and there is nothing listed. Sometimes that can help when others are trying to help you. I have the DC1 and love it. It's not that expensive...certainly not compared to other iems that have been mentioned. Maybe you should just get it and see what you think?
I'm not that regular a user so I have not edited my profile.

When it comes to IEMs I have several. From what I have, the closest to what I want are the Sony XB90EX and the KZ ZS3. Both are good but I wanted to find something better. The XB90EX lacks a remote/mic and for some reason seems to be lacking a bit of punch/thump on some songs, which I find odd when I look at its frequency graph. The ZS3 has that punch, however it also bleeds a bit into the mids. Both the XB90EX and the ZS3 lack some treble extension. I know that helps with the sibilance but I would still like some more treble. I also have the Z5000 which deliver some amazing low end, both extension and punch. The problem is that they have way too much mid/upper bass for my taste and everything sounds dark and congested. The XB90EX and ZS3 also have dark(-ish) sound signature but it's much more tolerable for me.
I was considering the UiiSii CM5, the NICEHCK Bro, and the TRN V20 but dropped them from my list, as I slowly got the impression that they may lack some extension and/or are more mid-bass focused compared to the rest of my considerations which currently are:
- Tiandirenhe TD08 (the bio-diaphragm it is using intrigues me, as my favorite pair of headphones, the CAL!, uses bio-cellulose drivers, and I assume it's the same thing, although I could be wrong);
- Rose Aurora;
- the currently discussed Aritste DC1;
- I-INTO i8;
- and one I cannot mention due to it being banned on Head-Fi, which is really regrettable, as it looks quite promising actually, and banning discussions of products potentially hurts users for whom the banned products might be a perfect fit but they would never know.

Before someone mentions it here again, I've received recommendations for the iBasso IT01 and I've read virtually nothing but praise for it. The problem is it is significantly more expensive than the rest. If I were absolutely certain that I would love it, I'd save and buy it, however I was burned once before when I got my RHA MA750 after the ton of hype everywhere. I fell for it, as everyone said they were bassy earphones, had great low-end, etc., etc. I wasn't expecting basshead levels of bass but I wasn't expecting them to be bass-light either, but they were.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #24,432 of 24,683
I'm not that regular a user so I have not edited my profile.

When it comes to IEMs I have several. From what I have, the closest to what I want are the Sony XB90EX and the KZ ZS3. Both are good but I wanted to find something better. The XB90EX lacks a remote/mic and for some reason seems to be lacking a bit of punch/thump on some songs, which I find odd when I look at its frequency graph. The ZS3 has that punch, however it also bleeds a bit into the mids. Both the XB90EX and the ZS3 lack some treble extension. I know that helps with the sibilance but I would still like some more treble. I also have the Z5000 which deliver some amazing low end, both extension and punch. The problem is that they have way too much mid/upper bass for my taste and everything sounds dark and congested. The XB90EX and ZS3 also have dark(-ish) sound signature but it's much more tolerable for me.
I was considering the UiiSii CM5, the NICEHCK Bro, and the TRN V20 but dropped them from my list, as I slowly got the impression that they may lack some extension and/or are more mid-bass focused compared to the rest of my considerations which currently are:
- Tiandirenhe TD08 (the bio-diaphragm it is using intrigues me, as my favorite pair of headphones, the CAL!, uses bio-cellulose drivers, and I assume it's the same thing, although I could be wrong);
- Rose Aurora;
- the currently discussed Aritste DC1;
- I-INTO i8;
- and one I cannot mention due to it being banned on Head-Fi, which is really regrettable, as it looks quite promising actually, and banning discussions of products potentially hurts users for whom the banned products might be a perfect fit but they would never know.

Before someone mentions it here again, I've received recommendations for the iBasso IT01 and I've read virtually nothing but praise for it. The problem is it is significantly more expensive than the rest. If I were absolutely certain that I would love it, I'd save and buy it, however I was burned once before when I got my RHA MA750 after the ton of hype everywhere. I fell for it, as everyone said they were bassy earphones, had great low-end, etc., etc. I wasn't expecting basshead levels of bass but I wasn't expecting them to be bass-light either, but they were.
My KZ ZS10 arrived today. I think you would like these. Very good sub-bass, no mid-bass bloat and smoother treble than many recent KZ models like the ZST and ES3. Unlike the PM6 you can actually see the 4 BA drivers through the transparent casing. They're really there lol

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #24,433 of 24,683
it looks quite promising actually

Just read the reviews on amazon.com...you will recognize some of the reviewers. I have not yet given time to mine. Distracted by the Artiste. One thing I really appreciate about the Artiste is not having to wear them around my ear.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #24,434 of 24,683
My KZ ZS10 arrived today. I think you would like these. Very good sub-bass, no mid-bass bloat and smoother treble than many recent KZ models like the ZST and ES3. Unlike the PM6 you can actually see the 4 BA drivers through the transparent casing. They're really there lol

Kz10's are super bulky though

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #24,435 of 24,683
Kz10's are super bulky though

They are bulky. I have no problem with them but some do. I don't run around with them in. Nice for sitting and relaxing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back