TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #24,376 of 24,683
OK here goes.
Equipment used: Hifiwalker H2 DAP, via line out, Fiio L16 cable, Fiio A5 amplifier.
Both Masters and DC1 fitted with KX Starline tips.
Music:
1. Richard Bone "Komarov's Fire" (Powerful electronic piece with deep bass).
2. Chris Izaak "Wicked Game".
3. Stuart Mitchell, " Mausoleum at Halicarnassus" Prague Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Mario Klemens.

Bass
Masters: Quick and agile with good texture and accuracy but lacks real sub- bass. This early roll-off leads to a lack of ambience and a fast decay.
DC1: Very deep sub-bass, leading smoothly into the rest of the range. Great reproduction of ambience and a slow decay. Timpani in the orchestral piece had real weight and air. DC1 wins here.
Mids
Masters: The green filters are mid-centric and there is plenty of detail here. Soundstage has good width but average depth. Height less than ideal. In complex pieces things do become less separate. Vocals display well but presence region a little subdued.
DC1: Clear and open presentation. Vocals stand out beautifully with good micro-detail. Soundstage has great width and good depth. Height very good for an IEM. An almost "speaker-like" effect with a silky smoothness and lots of air. DC1 wins again.
Treble
Masters: Quite a bright presentation with some sharpness, especially when things get busy or loud. Reminiscent of a moving coil pickup cartridge with a bit of tip resonance. A slightly shrill top end with some peaks. There is a noticeable roll-off in the extreme HF.
DC1: Very smooth yet extended highs. Loads of detail and harmonically accurate. Plenty of air and space. Separation and layering absolutely excellent. DC1 again wins.

These findings will vary if different filter and tip combinations are used. I found that the Trinity Kombi tips helped to tame the highs on the Masters. However using bass focused filters tended to muddy the sound too much. The Masters are very fussy in tip and filter choice and need quite a bit of power to drive. DC1 is more forgiving. There is a little bit of cable noise with the DC1 as they are worn with the cable down, but it's not too intrusive.

I hope this helps.

Wow,you have nailed it. I have the exact same impression of Master. Your precise comparison of Master and DC1 makes DC1 a steal deal in its price range.

Thanks for the review,

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #24,377 of 24,683
The Master IEM I have has dual 7mm titanium DD bass units in push pull configuration and a dual BA for the high frequencies. I'm not sure which one of the two you mention is the one I have.

I think that must be the same as mine then... The Trinity Audio Master. Because my husband had it first and has had it for close to a year I think, I do not have the packaging (might be in the attic). I do have the filters. No idea what tips came with it but I like my Starlines and cannot use foams or Comply.

I put the red plates on:)

R0013444.JPG

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #24,378 of 24,683
I think that must be the same as mine then... The Trinity Audio Master. Because my husband had it first and has had it for close to a year I think, I do not have the packaging (might be in the attic). I do have the filters. No idea what tips came with it but I like my Starlines and cannot use foams or Comply.

I put the red plates on:)

Yes, they are the same ones that I have. I have the blue plates on, the carbon ones which came supplied had sharp edges.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #24,379 of 24,683
Wow,you have nailed it. I have the exact same impression of Master. Your precise comparison of Master and DC1 makes DC1 a steal deal in its price range.

Thanks for the review,

That is a great review and the DC1 is a great deal. I have been enjoying both the Masters and the DC1 and am unable at this time to say which I prefer... especially since I could put a different filter on the Masters if I wanted a change in the sound.

I do prefer the fit of the DC1 as I prefer wearing a cable down iem. The cable on the Trinity is a bit of a problem for me as it has no shaping over the ear and wants to just tangle in my hair ... more so than the cables on other over ear iems that I have. Too bad it is not removable.

edited to add... I just looked on Amazon UK. The listing that I used, that no longer has it for £29 has one left at £45.99. There is still the 10% off deal.

There is another listing for £39.99 ... no extra percentage off...in stock with delivery tomorrow if ordered in the next 4 hours.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #24,380 of 24,683

Thanks for the review,
Thanks for that. We are obviously singing from the same hymn sheet! I find most DD/BA hybrid IEMs have a slightly harsh treble, it seems a malaise affecting affordable BA drivers. The only exceptions among the ones I have are the Zodic Audio ET2201 and the Urban Fun Beryllium hybrid. I think you would really enjoy the DC1, though. Perhaps we'll see a few more affordable IEMs with the ceramic units!

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #24,381 of 24,683
Yes, they are the same ones that I have. I have the blue plates on, the carbon ones which came supplied had sharp edges.

I just looked at the carbon plates... I can feel the difference. The red and blue ones are more rounded. I don't know if the carbon ones would have bothered me during use or not. When they were given to me they had one red and one blue on them. I prefer them to match.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #24,382 of 24,683
I just looked at the carbon plates... I can feel the difference. The red and blue ones are more rounded. I don't know if the carbon ones would have bothered me during use or not. When they were given to me they had one red and one blue on them. I prefer them to match.
I think the idea of having different coloured plates makes it easier to identify the left and right earpieces.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #24,383 of 24,683
I think the idea of having different coloured plates makes it easier to identify the left and right earpieces.

I know but the little red and blue bits at the end of the cables kind of do that already...

it is nice to be able to choose the look you prefer... if only they had included purple plates...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #24,384 of 24,683
I know but the little red and blue bits at the end of the cables kind of do that already...

it is nice to be able to choose the look you prefer... if only they had included purple plates...
Yes, purple would have been nice! I think the Icarus 3 had some different coloured plates to choose from.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #24,385 of 24,683
I'm not really looking for an upgrade TBH. More of a cheap replacement because there's no way I'm going to be able to get a proprietary one. The cables are very thin and I know they won't last.

I'll be honest, I'm no defender of TAE at all, but these do sound good, really good, better than my masters. Maybe I got lucky? Schrodinger's Phantom? They could be 6 or 2 but I'll never know until I open the box....?
Wanted: Dead AND Alive : Robert Timms

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #24,386 of 24,683
Wow... very interesting for me to read as I have both the DC1 and the Master. You meant Trinity Audio Master, correct? Not the Phantom Master.

I am using KZ medium Starlines with both... good fit for me and no problems with the sound.

The Trinity audio master and the phantom master is basically the same thing... There's the PM4, PM6 and the master... All phantom line

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #24,389 of 24,683
Considering the interest in the Artiste DC1, perhaps a new thread could be started, maybe in the "Asian/Chinese IEM section? I realise it is in this thread now because of the connection to the IMR R1.
Does anyone have the Radius IEM or the RHA ceramic model to compare to the DC1?

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #24,390 of 24,683
Lol. That DC1 shell is the same one as the Magaosi BK50 from 2 years ago lol

I have both... actually they are quite different. Both excellent though.R0013465.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back