TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #20,882 of 24,683
I'm sorry to see Bob leave but honestly this community pretty much killed him. Don't get me wrong, mistakes were made by Trinity but Bob was committed to the Trinity project. We may never know the real issues that they battled behind the scenes but I have never once thought that Bob was malicious, in fact completely the opposite. Given the new leadership and the fact that the company is a subset of an existing company I have no doubt that everyone will receive their goods eventually. However I do wonder if we will get the products that had the bob spark in the future. I wish him all the best and hope that a fututre Trinity collaboration can be possible. In Bob we trust!

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #20,883 of 24,683
I'm sorry to see Bob leave but honestly this community pretty much killed him. Don't get me wrong, mistakes were made by Trinity but Bob was committed to the Trinity project. We may never know the real issues that they battled behind the scenes but I have never once thought that Bob was malicious, in fact completely the opposite. Given the new leadership and the fact that the company is a subset of an existing company I have no doubt that everyone will receive their goods eventually. However I do wonder if we will get the products that had the bob spark in the future. I wish him all the best and hope that a fututre Trinity collaboration can be possible. In Bob we trust!
At this point, I think we won't be seeing much more from Trinity with the Bob special. Though we should keep an eye out for Bob-tuned products in the future, perhaps from other companies. No way a guy like him is gonna pull outta the audio game altogether, he likes it too much.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #20,885 of 24,683
as can be seen, I am fairly new to this group. I ordered two pairs of Airs through KS, then doubled down on Icarus 4 and Icarus 2 sight unseen based on the (former) stellar reputation these guys had

anyway, i have been looking around for detail on Icarus 1, their supposed first DAC amp, and can't find anything about it, other than a "coming soon' on the website. I guess that is more reliable than the August 2017 on the Icarus 2 page

does anyone have one of these players? know the specs, anything? there aren't even photos. Seems weird they would release the 2 having not delivered on the 1 (oh, wait, its TAE we are talking about)

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #20,886 of 24,683
so.. got a lot more playtime out of my Icarus III with the undamped gold filters today... and I have to say...

there it is! These filters blow the rest of them out of the water, to a ridiculous degree. The treble opens up SO much, it's absurd. Wow, I love these now.

I'm just confused like why any of the other filters exist. I have tried all but the orange and silvers now (i hated silvers on the Master and I doubt will change with these, though i will eventually get to it), and these are just heads and shoulders above the rest.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #20,887 of 24,683
@Miko 7 , tell us how you really feel. We'll put you down as = "Undecided"

Actually, thanks VERY MUCH for this. Because of your impressions, I just emailed Kieran and asked him to substitute an Icarus 3 for my (still waiting) Atlas-Delta instead of the rumored Master. He replied within 7 minutes that he would have the exchange carried out shortly.
What? A response in minutes! I've been waiting for a response (re: my Atlas Deltas w/ prepaid BT Lanyard replacements) since July 31st and NOTHING!

Will try again... and the Icarus 3 (being a slightly better fit for my ears) would seem to be a better choice for replacement... Thanks.

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #20,888 of 24,683
TRINITY AUDIO ENGINEERING UNIT 2.02 DE BRADELEI MILL Chapel St, Belper, DE56 1AR, United Kingdom
If they have stock shouldn't take too long. I had to send Master in back in the day when Jake was handling some stuff(6/29/17) and yes there was some issues but I think they should be resolved with Daniels involvement quickly. Just send in the portion above the cable adapter if that is where the issue is. No need to send the whole box with accessories back. I ate the shipping fee was around $13 fro U.S
Thank you.

I will send it to tomorrow for the time being.
Eh, I say it's still worth asking to see if it might fit your desires. After all, you may not necessarily need to buy it from Trinity Audio. Could find a use pair from someone here who just doesn't want theirs.

They won't give you a shipping label to ship back if that's part of what you're asking. It's why I didn't bother to send back my Vyrus 2 when the shell split. $13 to send overseas something that cost me $30? And I'll have no idea how long it takes for it to come back? No thanks.
I will give up on the shipping fee.

I'm happy if I fix it for the time being.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #20,889 of 24,683
so.. got a lot more playtime out of my Icarus III with the undamped gold filters today... and I have to say...

there it is! These filters blow the rest of them out of the water, to a ridiculous degree. The treble opens up SO much, it's absurd. Wow, I love these now.

I'm just confused like why any of the other filters exist. I have tried all but the orange and silvers now (i hated silvers on the Master and I doubt will change with these, though i will eventually get to it), and these are just heads and shoulders above the rest.

How do they compare to the Master (that you said you vastly preferred) now ?

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #20,890 of 24,683

Did I really say the word "vastly"? I kinda doubt it :p

Regardless... I would say thus far I slightly prefer the Icarus III with gold filter...but only just slightly. And I still DEFINITELY don't think they warrant a 76 gbp difference...

Thing is, with the gold, undamped filter, the Icarus sounds remarkably similar to the Master, just doing it a bit better, with the main advantage being that you can push the volume a lot higher without causing distortion. I suspect this perk will be lost upon most people who don't pummel their ears into oblivion on a regular basis as I do.. :p

At lower/normal volumes, I still think the Master wins, though.

Take what you will from this updated opinion, and take it with a grain of salt, as always :wink:

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #20,891 of 24,683

Regardless... I would say thus far I slightly prefer the Icarus III with gold filter...but only just slightly. And I still DEFINITELY don't think they warrant a 76 gbp difference...

Thing is, with the gold, undamped filter, the Icarus sounds remarkably similar to the Master, just doing it a bit better, with the main advantage being that you can push the volume a lot higher without causing distortion. I suspect this perk will be lost upon most people who don't pummel their ears into oblivion on a regular basis as I do.. :p

Take what you will from this updated opinion, and take it with a grain of salt, as always :wink:
Vey interesting findings, it is comforting to hear that the Icarus III can sound similar to the Master, even more that it has likes and takes stronger amplification. I have manage to distort (due to the weird nature of one recording I have listened to) the Master on couple on occasions, or it was the DAC itself that rippled the distortion within itself; I had to remove it from the MacBook Pro, and then reinsert it... Nice to hear about the level of ampification the Icarus III tolerates, sometimes it can be needed.

I have not received mine; if they do not arrive next week (preordered on 25th of april) I will start to get worried. No shipment notification, nor the status update at my account, as of yet...

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #20,892 of 24,683

THey sound very similar to the Masters qualities with their sparkle and treble extension, it's a very lively and dynamic filter I would say

I thoroughly agree with everything you said, spot on

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #20,893 of 24,683
So.. Icarus III. I like it quite a bit, but I don't think it deserves to be priced over the Master. in my mind, the only thing it does better is the bass response. Otherwise,it's less detailed, less expansive, and just generally less good.

*shrug*

With only 25 hours burn-in and listening for several hours, I completely agree with this.

EDIT: obviously had the wrong combo of filter/tip. Put the gold (undamped) filter with Kombi tips and a dramatic differance. The Icarus III is definantly much better than the Master.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #20,894 of 24,683
With only 25 hours burn-in and listening for several hours, I completely agree with this.

EDIT: obviously had the wrong combo of filter/tip. Put the gold (undamped) filter with Kombi tips and a dramatic differance. The Icarus III is definantly much better than the Master.
There must be some pixie dust in the Icarus III yellow/gold filter

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #20,895 of 24,683
There must be some pixie dust in the Icarus III yellow/gold filter

Well , for me I think it was a combination of very little sleep, getting in to much of a hurry to find the proper combo of filter/tip for my taste, strictly going by the filter quite description posted on the Trinity site thus not at least trying certain filters, since the SpinFit tips seem to slide easier in the ear using those only, and being much more mentally present. Been listening to the Icarus III since switching and just can't believe the great sound. I think I will be trying the gold (undamped) filters on my Hunter now.

Thanks must go to @IamMe90 for waking me up!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back